Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

JB 883

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JB 883

  1. Yeah the third day sucks BUT - The first two days was double proof that you CAN go through the day without smoking. Look, after a time, maybe a few week and definitely after a couple months, you will completely forget just how bad the first few days were.
  2. I think the only disadvantage of living somewhere that it is warm year round would be that summers have GOT to be brutal. Plus with places that have winter, we can appreciate spring and summer a bit more. Still if I never had to face another winter again I would be fine. When I was a kid I could walk around in freezing weather in a tee and shorts. Not anymore.
  3. That is sometimes the experience that quitting is not as bad as we thought and here is why - We have seen TV shows or PSA's where someone is trying to quit a serious drug like meth, crack, heroin or maybe alcohol etc. Of course the person going thru withdrawal is screaming, thrashing, rolling around, puking up demons from hell, being shot with tranquilizer darts, several cops trying to hold them down, and just this big theatrical hysterical scene. But THEN we hear that quitting nicotine is harder than any of the aforementioned drugs. So when we think of quitting, we may be expecting to go through something that makes the biblical version of hell look like a fairy tale (and no I am not talking about Ryan Seacrest's backside). We think taking a dump while doing a hand stand would be easier than quitting smoking. But then we embark on our "quit". Our sleep pattern gets messed up, we may get irritable, appetite changes, and just having those weird impulses like a nudge to the ribs saying "time to smoke" but we never do since we quit. We just feel a little weird for a few days or weeks. Doing the whole "flopping around screaming and hallucinating that the devil is going to sodomize us if we do not smoke" thing never happens. I THINK that image of withdrawing from nicotine probably comes from companies that make "quit" meds like gum, patches, etc... Yes, they are just as evil as the tobacco companies. Just do not give into the craves that hit on weird times and all will be fine. It really does get easier.
  4. Just really try to hang onto the quit this time. If smoking has not yet done any serious damage, that means you can still get out with minimal damage. Some ex smokers would probably give just about anything to go back to one of their "quits" before it became a REAL life and death situation.
  5. Oh dear God...
  6. JB 883 replied to Edie's topic in Celebrations!
    As reciprocity said, yes the early milestones ARE a big deal because the early days are the hardest. The further you get into a "quit", the less any one day really matters. Wait til you get to day seven, an entire WEEK, you are going to be super proud. Like "Wow, now we are talking weeks instead of days!" For you, day three is coming, which is the day all nicotine is gone from your system. I would say that is probably the biggest milestone. In your cleaning, destroy all tobacco products, get rid of ash trays, and anything smoking related. MAYBE hang onto a lighter or two as they are practical tools more than they are smoking tools. with ditching the cigs and ash trays, yeah you might think "what if..." but no, time to get serious about quitting. Plus if you have NO cigs around, it will be less convenient when the hardest craves hit. If they are there, you just pick it up quickly. To be honest, NOT having smokes laying around is the only reason I managed to "keep my quit" early on. Yeah, just try not to be one of those people here who relapses every few days. I mean screw that. If we give in to the cigarettes, I would think future quits would be harder because our nervousness of not being able to quit was affirmed. Not using aids - That is actually best because stop-smoking meds just prolong the suffering AND are probably not cheap. Use that money instead for extra groceries for when you start to enjoy food again. Oh yes, taste and smell come back strong. Your gut will say, "Now it's my turn!" Just do not get hooked on soda, THAT addiction is harder to break than tobacco/nicotine. Of course as we reach milestones in our quit, we wonder if it is even a good idea to mention them since people post photos of things like fat men in leotards dancing, or a fat drag queen with more makeup than Tammy Fay Baker holding a cake, or other "less than sexy" photos. Funny unless you are trying to eat and happen upon them.
  7. JB 883 replied to Edie's topic in Celebrations!
    I think day one is the worst really. During that first day we are nervous and thinking, "Can I even do this?" but then after day one you realize that yes, yes you can. Of course cravings are still at their worst but you know you can do it. In fact, the nervousness part is worst just the day before quitting. Day one you are doing it, day two you have a bit of confidence built already, day three you know the nicotine is mostly out of your system, day four it IS out and by that point, the impulses to smoke should be getting weaker. Yes there is the crave but that internal impulse is getting less. One thing I did during my first few days was going on a house cleaning spree. Bedding, laundry, clean the walls, scrub the white furniture in my room etc to get rid of smoke stains as much as possible. Something to do other than smoke.
  8. Seems right after the holidays is about the time winter has already overstayed it's welcome. In December when the first snow falls people enjoy it but then after new year, ready for spring.
  9. Frezflops - Sunday for us it will be a high of 33. Yes, 33. I bet you are SO jealous. But it is gonna snow. I figured the Brits probably got some pretty serious winters like most places in the USA. Of course we must exclude Florida, namely Miami because I think they have never had anything less than 40 degrees. Lucky shits... But yeah today it got up to 20 degrees farenheit in Indiana and it felt strangely warm. Pretty sad when 20 feels "warm". Though the temps have been hovering just around ZERO for overnight lows, somehow we get used to it kind of quick.
  10. Cold turkey is the least expensive and probably is the best way. Nicotine replacement therapy just prolongs the problem. Yes you might have some withdrawals, I imagine everyone has slightly different versions. maybe sleeping more than usual, depressed, getting mad easier, etc... There are a lot of articles and videos about quitting smoking. They do help because one is likely to fall asleep reading or watching and we know we cannot smoke when asleep . Informative but not quite "riveting". thing is once you do have some quit time finished, you will notice your breath does not rattle like it did before. You wake up with less of a "morning mouth" so to speak. Just try not to smoke again thinking "I can quit again" because even after one solid puff, you are likely gonna be back to square one.
  11. Yeah it is normal to miss it. But then you start to think - we also tend to miss those really bad relationships we had with people who basically were not worth a damn. YET, we would not go back to them cause nothing good would come of it.
  12. I am for now but I have a few new year's resolutions. I am going to start... Drinking Smoking (again) Chewing tobacco Over eating junk food Spend money more foolishly and Save less money Getting more into debt Spend more time sitting on the couch Paying less attention to family and friends Cussing a lot more and definitely more road rage Going to church less Wishing away each day Be less grateful for what i have and instead be more jealous of my neighbors Discussing politics at inopportune times. Get addicted to porn Did I miss any? On a serious note - no I am not gonna start drinking, smoking, or chewing. The rest of the list though...
  13. I am going on three months since I quit blackening my lungs. Most of the time I am OK but there are days and moments when I want one. The two things that keep me from doing it are - I have no cigarettes and do not feel like buying any. I know I would just be back to square one. Sometimes i worry about relapse because some people do. I cannot quite figure out WHY someone would relapse after months or years of not smoking. Oh sure if someone relapses during their first week or two, that is understandable cause the desire to smoke is still pretty strong. I guess we always have SOME level of desire but it weakens. For those who DO light up after so long, what is it like? I imagine it to be pleasant somehow, like the first hit off the first cig in a brand new pack. But more often than not, people report otherwise like it is gross. So which is it? I am not about to find out, just wondering.
  14. JB 883 replied to bakon's topic in Socializing
    You mean no one loved sizzlean?
  15. JB 883 replied to Boo's topic in Socializing
    So basically the same thing as EVERY website on the planet - begging for likes, wanting to be the most popular etc.
  16. Both your parents died of smoking related illness. With that in mind, just what is it going to take for YOU to stop smoking? Who would even WANT to start smoking after watching their folks both die of it? That along with sharp pains in your chest, yeah it MIGHT be time to quit. Who knows how much damage is done BUT - you will be pleased with how much better you will feel when you quit smoking.
  17. Unless a forum is only on Day One, there is always a thread like that already. Here it is for this place.
  18. I know what will happen to society in the next month. About Jan 1st, people will make all these plans to better their lives. They are going to resolve to do the following - join the gym and lose weight, quit smoking, save money, and pay off debt. People will join gyms in droves. Radio and TV commercials will constantly advertise products and services that will make this possible. The biggest advertising campaign will be for weight loss. Every other commercial will be about that. though it is a little hazy in my mind, but I think I can see another weight loss gimmick product hitting the stores. Perhaps someone with greater future-predicting abilities than myself can clarify if this will happen. I know what everyone is thinking other than the fact that i am a dumb ass. They people are thinking "But oh great wise one, these things happen EVERY year around this time!" Well... yes and no. Yes because they do happen but no because this time is different. This time people are really going to do these things. I mean REALLY do them. Really pay off debt, quit smoking, going to the gym, losing weight, saving money... Until, wait, let the image in my head come through. AHH YES! About Jan 15th. By then, their resolutions will be put on hold. But in 2019, just you wait! THEN, THEN, they will get serious! And since holidays are always pushed on use several months out, I wanted to tell everyone have a happy and safe 4th of July. Stay cool and stay hydrated this holiday. Keep the dogs inside, they do not like fireworks.
  19. alright I fixed it. When I made that post, the cherry to my cigarette had fallen off and I got distracted. OK kidding, wasn't smoking.
  20. Oh for the love of bejeezus
  21. Start the video at 50 seconds to not have to sit thru the boring part where he digs for his car. The song is only about 3 minutes, not sure why the extra time at the end. This one is a spin-off of Jingle Bells. I thought about showing this to my room mate but her stupid ass would probably say "I wouldn't mind driving something like that" and be serious as dog crap on Princess Diana's grave. One thing though, this rusty chevrolet he is driving is an eye sore. But on the other hand, at the ending where you hear those bells ringing, it really puts you in a christmas mood. EDIT - Thanks reciprocity I fergot the link.
  22. I do not drink much at all but that makes sense. Finer things in life should not be diluted or mixed. And I thought the sticks were going to be the problem. All these innocent sticks, until... I am scared for myself AND the rest of the forum to ask for an explanation of this. It might be easier to just post a photo instead. But at least you are doing it.... smoke free. Isn't that what it is all about for the quit train?
  23. JB 883 replied to Boo's topic in Socializing
    Boo, all I was saying was you may be out of personal storage space on the forum to upload and post more photos or gifs or whatever. I think we each have something like a 5 MB limit. It has nothing to do with what you post but how much that may be causing your troubles. At the bottom of the posting window when it says "Accepted file types gif, jpeg, jpe, jpg, png · Max total size 4.88MB", that might mean 4.88 MB worth of total uploads (unless one deletes some stuff to make room for new) Marylandquitter may be the best one to ask to know for sure.
  24. I am in complete shock. But tell me, why is that guy eating a banana? I do believe it is more addictive than cocaine. Sugar just hits the spot like nothing else can. It hits ME in places like nothing else can. What the hell is someone suppose to eat if not sugar? My brother and sister don't eat it. My brother eats Kashi cereal (Dear GYOD) and my sis eats who knows what. One time she was making some kind of nasty green shake made of green veggies and some kind of powder and said something about how she looked forward to it each day. Screw it, I gave up the cigs but not giving up sweets. You gotta live a little. or in my case, a lot. The diet stuff - yeah, one is better off with at least real sugar. Synthetic substitues for pretty much anything are bad news. Fake sugar, Olestra (fake fat), spice (fake 420) That is actually a good idea. The C.R. dilutes the soda. I will admit that soda is not healthy. I love it to death. However, in your case, you are still enjoying it but since it is mixed, you do not get the full (negative) effects of the acids and sugar in the soda. It is like when people go to Wendy's for a triple baconator, large fries, and get a diet soda.
  25. JB 883 replied to Boo's topic in Socializing
    Kind of interesting how there are habits harder to break than smoking. I expected to be flopping around on the floor screaming based on thinking heroin or crack would be harder to break. I ain't never done those though. You want a hard habit to break, try giving up sugar. So anyways - I think this forum has a limit for any given user to upload, unless links are posted to a different site that is hosting the photo. What you may have to do is delete some of the older photos in that "babe of the day" thread if you uploaded them instead of linking. Someone who actually knows how the forums works for sure would have to verify that though. AND if THAT doesn't work, on the "babe of the day" thread, you may just have to describe what she looks like and we will just have to imagine. Now we have all "enjoyed" ourselves to desperate material before at some point (pics we drew, Princess Diana commemorative plate, those old morning workout videos, Sears catalog, that drag queen holding the cake that Bakon keeps posting...) but perhaps the most desperate is having to use our stupid imagination. Well shoot, on that note maybe figure out real quick why you cannot post before something horrid happens.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.