Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chrysalis

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chrysalis

  1. Pippa, I remember that when I was living in Chicago I was giving some visitors from Kenya a tour of the area. It was February; there was no snow on the ground but the grass was all brown. One of the visitors noticed the brown grass and asked me if we were having a drought. I said no, the grass is brown because the ground is frozen. They really had a hard time comprehending that. It's funny the things you take for granted because you live with them. You don't even realize that other people might find it strange.
  2. What a shame! Upstairs Downstairs was on Netflix just recently. But now I see that it's gone to Amazon streaming and you have to pay per episode. That stinks! Actually, most of the PBS series have gone to Amazon. Double stink! I liked Bletchley Circle a lot, too. Also check out Call the Midwife--that's good.
  3. Oh, I didn't realize that you were in Oz. That makes me feel better-- I couldn't figure out how mangoes could be in season in the middle of winter but if you said it was so, you must be correct. (LOL! :) )
  4. Yes. Irritation of the sciatic nerve can cause groin pain.
  5. Hi, Marti- Only you and your mother know what really went on in your house and why the situation became untenable. If you think that you did wrong and mistreated your mother, apologize to her and promise to mend your ways. However, if you know that she was harsh and critical and demanding then stick to your guns! Believe in yourself and have the courage of your convictions. The people who don't KNOW what went but claim to believe your mother are people who just love juicy gossip. If you try to explain what was happening from your point of view they won't want to hear it. They get no pleasure from a fair and balanced story, only from a story that makes someone look bad. They especially enjoy it when people try to defend themselves-- more grist for the gossip mill. Don't bother doing that. So be honest with yourself-- if you have been a bitch to your mother, apologize and fix it. If she has been a bitch to you (which I believe is the case) be confident in the rightness of your decision to stand up for yourself. And when you meet someone who says that you behaved badly, look at them, arch your eyebrows and say, "There are two sides to every story." and walk away. Your life is going to get much better from here on out.
  6. Welcome back, Beth! I'm so glad that you're getting up and around a bit. Have you started PT yet?
  7. You know what I like about this thread? These are real meals designed and created by real people. Not chefs. Not magazine writers. Not boring skinny-minny dinners consisting only of broiled meat and steamed vegetables, either. We're just normal people who enjoy making good, healthful food to share with our families. Enough variety and spices and textures to make it interesting but not things that take a whole day in the kitchen to prepare. Some days we feel like getting complicated and creative and other days we want to keep it quick and simple-- just like real life. It's nice to meet like-minded cooks!
  8. Pippa, your mango salad looks wonderful! I didn't even know that this was "mango season". I'll have to watch for mangoes on sale. Speaking of mango salads, one of my favorites is Buffalo Shrimp Mango Avocado Salad (although you could use chicken instead of shrimp). Check it out here: http://www.publix.com/recipes-planning/aprons-simple-meals/buffalo-shrimp-salad-and-raspberry-blue-cheese-crostini
  9. Leanna, I'm pretty sure that the exercises (and, of course, completing your move) will take care of your back pain. But if it persists, you might consider a "kneeling chair". They're supposed to encourage you to sit up straight when working at a desk. There are tons available (check Amazon, for example) and they look like this:
  10. Tracey, the toenails on the small toes are a major component of human sexual attractiveness. O-o-o-p-s! Am I being ignorant and insensitive again?! :blush:
  11. Sharon, your cottage pie looks scrumptious! Such an elegant-looking dish from simple ground beef and potatoes. It looks a lot like my shepherd's pie, which I haven't made in a while. I think I'll make one of those soon. Thanks for the idea.
  12. Tried something different tonight. I couldn't decide what to do with the chicken breasts I had thawed. Looked in the cupboard and found a jar of Louisiana Cajun Seasoning and a box of panko bread crumbs. So I sprinkled the seasoning on the chicken, rolled them in the bread crumbs and baked. After 15 minutes I spooned on some TGI Friday's frozen spinach artichoke dip and finished baking for 10 more minutes. Served with stir-fried julienned carrots and zucchini and some spaghetti with butter and parmesan (not shown here). The cajun seasoning went surprisingly well with the spinach artichoke flavors. Hubby loved it all, even the veggies!
  13. OMG, Jess! How did you not kill those children??!!
  14. Marti, everything everybody here is telling you is the absolute truth! You have a toxic mother, you and your family will be much happier when she's gone, you're a lovely person, and you will find a job you like. It's all true. The funny thing is, looking for a job is scary for everybody. I have more education, credentials and experience than you can shake a stick at. But I would rather soak my head in a toilet bowl than go on a job interview. Seriously!! Just the thought of being judged and found wanting reduces me to quivering mass of gelatin. It has nothing to do with skills and abilities-- it has to do with confidence and not taking rejection personally. (Obviously, you need to do as I say, not as I do. :) ) So gird your loins and get out there! You're going to meet a bunch of nice people and learn about some very interesting jobs and you are going to "click" with one of them. Also, if you are interested in starting your own business at some point, try to find a job in a business similar to the one you want to start. If you want to do holistic healing, maybe you could be a receptionist or an assistant in a holistic healing center. Or work in a related field like clerk in an herbalist shop so you can expand your knowledge in your field. How about working in a school where they teach what you want to do? As a staff member you might even qualify for free courses one day. Even volunteer work in your field will provide you with valuable experience and help you start a professional network. Try to take a long term view. Not just grabbing for the first job that comes along (which is fine for the short term) but think of where you would like to be in 5 years and start moving in that direction. And, yes, you are going to need basic computer skills. You can start that right away. Our public library has free computer classes several days a week. Employment centers (what you might call the "labor board") have them, too. Or put up a notice in your apartment building and local shops asking for tutoring. Maybe you can barter-- trade your spiritual healing sessions for their computer lessons. Be brave. Be creative. And go for the brass ring!
  15. ^^^ I agree with DevilDoll!
  16. Love it! LMAO!! :D
  17. UGH

    Chrysalis replied to jess's topic in Off The Record
    That's great, Jess! A chronic lack of sleep is SO debilitating! I'm glad that you've been able to do some catch-up.
  18. Wow, Crhispy, you're the only person I know other than me who likes the smell of gasoline! Cool! I like the smell of burning tobacco, too. Are you my doppleganger?
  19. Leanna, I suffered from a lot of back pain when I was your age. It got worse and more frequent until I was almost crippled. Back exercises EVERY DAY for 6 months finally cured me. Web MD has a good video showing the exercises I did. Check here: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/living-with-low-back-pain-11/five-back-pain-stretches The Mayo Clinic recommends many of the same exercises here http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/multimedia/back-pain/sls-20076265 . The yoga exercises that Colleen recommended are good, too, but NOT THE COBRA POSE! My doctor said not to bend backwards. He did say that whenever possible, stand against a wall, tilt your hips back and push the small of your back against the wall. Hold for a few seconds and release. Even standing in an elevator, do that 2 or 3 times. You can do that on a floor, too. I found that helped a lot. Also, when your pain is acute, I found that taking an anti-imflammatory like ibuprofen was much better than any pain killers. Good luck! Try to remember to do your back exercises several times a week for many years. Hopefully, your back problems will never get as bad as mine were.
  20. That's a gorgeous cat! I bet he's as sweet as can be, too. What a lovely present for you. Enjoy!
  21. Sorry, Nancy, you're right. I shouldn't have gotten political. I just get so upset about needless wars. I'll shut up now.
  22. You got arrested at an anti-Vietnam war protest? That's a badge of honor in my book.
  23. Chrysalis replied to Frezflops's topic in Off The Record
    Bakon, you make a great point. If you are interviewing with people who have been top management for many years and they ask you "What would you do to improve the company?" how are you supposed to answer that question? There is no good answer. It's like how do you answer the question, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" I guess my feeling is that all you can do is be honest about who you are. If they like that (innovative new ideas or not) great. If they don't like it, then it's not the right place for you, anyway. Good luck and keep us posted!
  24. Hey, folks, if we continue in this vein how are we supposed to discipline our teenagers with any degree of credibility??!! I mean, heaven forbid any of us confess to having used grass in our youth or something! Oh, the shame! :blink:
  25. Sarah, than you for your response. From what you describe, it seems to be that periodic outbursts of tears, fears, rage and shame are perfectly normal. Sometimes even bad enough to make you stay home and cry all day. But in time you WILL recover yourself. You WILL find a new love with a better man. And the sun WILL shine on you and your life again. I agree with Tracey that it would be really, really good for you to sign up for self-defense and/or martial arts classes. It will be great for venting your frustration, building your physical strength and becoming more confident in yourself. What will all the money you're saving by not smoking, investing some of it in self-defense classes would be an EXCELLENT investment!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.