Tell Us The Positives Newbies

Reciprocity

So we have a few newbies with us lately and although you're all feeling like your in the depths of hell and struggling with quitting at the moment, I'm sure there are some positive things you've noticed even this early on. Tell us about them. I for one would like to hear about the positive things you're experiencing and the more you focus on those positive things, the easier the fight will be so ...... let's hear from you!

I remember when I first quit the one things that stood out in my mind was that that annoying "smoker's cough" was gone almost immediately and the constant clearing my throat before I would speak as well. Gone almost immediately and good riddance as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 6

I know I said it the other day, buts its my hands not being red raw from washing them to try and cover up the smell. And like you, the annoying smokers cough has gone. And I don't avoid people in case they smell my secret habit anymore!

• Like 9

I know I said it the other day, buts its my hands not being red raw from washing them to try and cover up the smell. And like you, the annoying smokers cough has gone. And I don't avoid people in case they smell my secret habit anymore!

• Like 1

HI,

Yeah. Feel like stir fried dog sh** but I have noticed I quit hacking and sounding like I'm going to barf up a lung any second. My legs don't ache so much any more. Think that's a circulatiion thing. They always felt so heavy and throbbed and ached no matter how little or much time I spent on them. They always hurt. They don't now. Interesting. Now that you mentioned it when you said stop focusing on what was making me feel so miserable and instead mention what is making me feel good I can mention this. Oh, I'm also not constantantly going  "Caruhm". You know, that half cough throat clear thing to tamp down phlegm so I can speak without a rattle. So I guess no matter how miserable I am things are getting better physically. But I still feel like I want to die. Wah!!!!!! O.K. I still feel like I just want to shoot myself.

• Like 9

That horrible "can't continue like this" feeling will soon dissipate and you will be left with just the good things you detailed AG1. That's the beauty of this whole process. Out with the bad and in with the good.

The difficult time is temporary but the benefits are permanent!! That's why it's so worth it to just power through that first week of pure hell :) Keep going and you too will see! We don't see the progress day to day as much as we would like but it is gradually happening even when we don't notice it. You'll look back a week from now and realize how much better it is that that first week. It's a long journey but well worth the effort :)

• Like 5

Great idea for a thread R!!  :wub: Focusing on positive changes really helped me out too at the start and even now. 

The more time passes, the more positives there are. The more you focus on those, the better and easier it will get! :)

I found that "smoker's cough" going away was the first big positive I noticed too! It felt so good to laugh without getting cut off by a cough!! And I LOVE to laugh, so that was huge. 

• Like 7

Great topic!  Pixel's post reminded me of something I remember that I no longer do that I used to ALL of the time when I smoked.  I too, whenever I laughed it would be interrupted with coughing.  I couldn't laugh without coughing.  There's yet another benefit to quitting smoking that I hadn't realized!  :dirol:

• Like 3

My sense of smell and my taste buds are waking up!! Being able to breathe is a glorious feeling!  Have an amazing smoke free day everyone!!

I noticed that too in my early quit. Just how great it was to breath easier right away :)

• Like 2

Rock on Parsley!

Hey....You know what I noticed? I didn't run outside today in my jammies and robe to go smoke. Instead, when I did go outside it was to enjoy watching the dog roam around the yard a bit, catch a few moments of the first rays of the sun, see the sky turn fully light and smile at my flowers.  

• Like 3

My sense of taste and smell has come back.  Not always good, as my husband has put chicken 5hit in the plants in the bathroom and it stinks!  Food tastes good though. 

Another thing I've noticed is I have more bogies in my nose!!  Why is this?

• Like 3

I have had some sinus issues after I quit smoking. Not sure if it's related to my quit or not though. Might just be a coincident? Seems a lot of weird s*it happens within our bodies as the repair process happens. 

• Like 1

Just wait until the next time you bake cookies, bread or a pie though. Next time you are around a turkey cooking in the oven. Next time your hubby buys you flowers. That's when your new sniffer will really pay off :)

• Like 1

Not much for me yet. I'm too new. I know it will come though. I just want to breathe again!

the slavery to the cigarette...you got rid of it the second you put out your last one.  It can't control you anymore.  You went a whole week and you didn't die.  That's the positive.   :)  :P

• Like 2