Remain Calm but Stay Vigilant

Boo

I had it all figured out.  Nearing the end of my third full day without a cigarette and not even one serious crave episode.  I experienced several thought triggers throughout the day, but those were brushed aside easily.  How about that, I am awesome at quitting.

Then Friday night happened.  My addiction was done rope-a-doping and came out swinging.  No external trigger.  Out of the blue.  I was pacing around mumbling and cussing to myself.  My mind was a mess.  At one point I started doing push-ups.  Addiction and I had it out last night.  Eventually that calmed a bit and then the bargaining started: C'mon man, you've proven that you can go a little while without a smoke.  So, here's the deal...Just smoke, like I don't know, 10 a-day.  One when you wake up.  Two or three smokebreaks at work.  Four or five in the evening.  You could get by on four packs a week and still enjoy smoking.  Well that's just great.  I have a petulant child and a snake oil salesman living in my head.

I didn't smoke, but I considered it.

It's not the best way to spend a Friday night, but in hindsight it is probably what I needed.  A wake-up call.  This is serious business with real consequences.  I am a drug addict.  My brain has been rewired by nicotine.  I have spent the last 25 years conditioning myself with the cigarette.  Dr. Pavlov had nothing on the Marlboro Man.  The good times exceed the bad.  In those bad times, times when I may need to fight like hell to keep my quit, I have to fight like my life depends on it.

Simple advice: Enjoy your smoke-free life, but stay sharp and focused.

• Like 3

I absolutely love that you get it.

It is an addiction and you are a junkie. Please know that the rough patches cease and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. For some it comes sooner than others but it does come. You can do this.

• Like 1

Don't be afraid to post an SOS if you need to also. Another tool in the tool chest of quitters.Great job on working through that crave on coming out stronger on the other side! You have such a way with words, I love your posts!

• Like 2

As the days progress, it gets exponentially easier, trust me. ONE very important piece of advice I can give you, NEVER RUN OUT OF MUNCHIE FOOD, and if you can stomach it, ORANGE JUICE.

Don't worry about weight gain, that can be lost later. Food, fun food, junk food, and OJ, all good things when you get cravings.

Not the catch all solution but one that does work most of the time:)

• Like 2

I absolutely love that you get it.

It is an addiction and you are a junkie. Please know that the rough patches cease and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. For some it comes sooner than others but it does come. You can do this.

Yes, I knew I was an addict in a kinda, sorta way.  "Yeah, I'm an addict but everybody is dealing with something."  Now I am beginning to really understand that I am an addict and cope with everything that comes with that.  There is real power in acknowledging addiction.  The fact that I am an addict explains a lot.  The things that don't make sense now make sense...If that makes any sense.

Don't be afraid to post an SOS if you need to also. Another tool in the tool chest of quitters.Great job on working through that crave on coming out stronger on the other side! You have such a way with words, I love your posts!

The SOS is a great tool and you offer some solid advice.  My thing is, when I get all bent out of shape over something I tend to isolate myself.  I'm not saying that's the right way, in fact most people agree isolation in troubling times is the worst choice.  In time, perhaps, I will learn to reach out when I need help.  I'm a work in progress.

Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 1

As the days progress, it gets exponentially easier, trust me. ONE very important piece of advice I can give you, NEVER RUN OUT OF MUNCHIE FOOD, and if you can stomach it, ORANGE JUICE.

Don't worry about weight gain, that can be lost later. Food, fun food, junk food, and OJ, all good things when you get cravings.

Not the catch all solution but one that does work most of the time:)

Not what most would call a fun food, but I have been snacking on cashews throughout the day since I quit smoking.  And I drink at least one glass of orange juice everyday.  No screwdrivers though...Never again.

That little nico monster ...he wakes up any time...and starts that nagging whispering down your ear...

These are the times I shouted nope.... Get lost....

You have a great attitude... Keep going and climbing the rope to freedom...

Yeah, that nico monster is a pesky little bugger but he can be put in his place.  "Climbing the rope to freedom"...I like that.