The Weight

Markus

We have quit and we carry a heavy load. Not all of us do and it varies from one special snowflake to another special snowflake in this, the quit smoking game.

Once in awhile it helps to take some time to access your situation, to stop for a bit, and to put down that pack you are shouldering on this journey. 

Time to take inventory. There are things you are carrying that you don't need and that drag you down, and there are things that are redundant.

There's nameless fear right at the top of the pack. Why did you bring that? Get rid of it, you no longer are running away, and nothing is coming for you. You've lived with it for so long, and now you quit and still you mean to carry it with you? Throw it over the side.

And there's that faith you brought with you! Where has that been? You need that, you've been looking for it and misplaced it. You sure packed in a hurry. And it seems like there was more of that faith. If you see some on the trail that someone has lost then pick it up and carry it, and make sure they get it back as soon as possible.

Uncertainty, what is that doing in there, so much of it? A big shapeless heavy lump of it. Where did that come from? Well it was part of what you packed. You'll never need it again so it can be discarded, it's holding you back.

There's confidence! It seemed that there was more of it as well, so make a note to find some more as you walk that path and keep it at the ready.

And there's a bottle. What's this? Forgiveness for being human? Who put that in there? Well you were born with that.

That, you were granted, because it is your right and you are always allowed that. That you always will have and you never run out.

A piece of paper? Wrinkled and wadded up. Will you look at that? It's your reminder to be happy with what you have. 

That you put in your front pocket. When you wonder what's in your pocket you can get it out and be reminded to be kind to yourself and reward yourself .

This venture to quit smoking is just another thing where the human condition in it's frailties and strengths has the capability to shine with the brilliance of a diamond. All that we are and want to be can shine through in the bleakest hour, on this path to a new life.

I have a story, a friends wife last week had to have a brain tumor removed, and we have been along with them for a few years as it grew and shrank and was treated non-invasively and then just last week it reached a sort of medical "critical mass" and needed to be taken out immediately. It was the size of a plum. I mean, this was so very serious wasn't it? The family at the hospital. All of us at work wondering and waiting to do what we had to, anything we could. A brain tumor, this young mom with 4 kids. We prayed, and waited, we were all very worried, wringing our hands, it was so bleak looking.

I would say I am ashamed for my lack of faith. She was back home two days later and is recovering nicely. Why do we automatically assume the worst?

Put that armor down, you don't need it.

I hope you feel lighter on your feet. Check that baggage once in awhile.

Carry only the good things, what holds you back, and brings you down is dead weight and you get rid of that.

GTQ

Markus

I Ned to read and Re read this Markus. Your post is perfect for me today. I will keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...