30 years

bakon

Today 30 years ago...7-18-1985 Left for basic training. Smoked in high school last year pretty much daily, but Army is where I grew up and smoked. Everyone smoked.

Smoke Break! Smoke em if you got em......

Drill Instructor let us have 1 or 2 a day...we snuck in bathroom and blew it in fan, on top floor, last stall. Guys pulling look out for DI coming around...quit twice in Army. 1 year and 2 year respectively. One year when I got out too. Going on three now without a puff.

But memory lane hit when I saw the date. I smoked menthol. Only white kid in Army. Did nt realize but outside of Pittsburgh is all Marboro red men. Us Pgh guys would Newport or Coll with anyone. I was call "the lightest...you ever know" by some of the guys for the menthol...but that wouldn't fly today and it wasn't a bad thing at the time...Enough Archie Bunker...30 years and now 3 done. I am getting old.

KEEP MARCHING

• Like 10

Bakon

That was the way it was then.

Things are different when you get older, you start wondering about the things you are doing. The brashness of youth is gone, you feel your mortality a lot more and you start thinking about what is gaining on you.

You've already thought you needed to quit years before you actually do.

So for you it's 30 and 3. Better than 30 and life to go.

Congrats to you for quitting the nasty habit that has consumed so many people.

a81_g3.jpg

• Like 3

Not three yet...soon....

Nuther army story- throw buts in a coffee can. sit in bleachers to smoke...but if Drill Instructor sees you sitting, push ups, so cant walk on sand to get to bleacher, sand got to be raked clean with no footprints (guess they golf there when no recruits) so you got to hop and skip and jump across some sandbags which line the area, get on bleachers without touching the ground,  then don't be seen smoking, but place the but in the can, ...so we know where DI is, we run out and light up...well we were wrong..here comes DI ...we run, hop skip, throw but and get out of area....can catches fire...DI pulls everyone out and whole unit doing push ups...smokers in the back all laughing...

A-5-1 very bottom unit on

Tank Hill

Fort Jackson South Carolina

July and August

Later three years in west Germany there for the wall coming down. Hawk missiles "if it flies it dies"