Newbie!

Nixter

Hello everyone!

I just found this site yesterday and I'm glad I did. Lots of good info here. Today is my first day as a non smoker. It's quite daunting. I am quitting because I have a major surgery next month and need to be off the cigs to do so for healing purposes. Anyway, some of the first few days advice like juice and eating every couple hours I can't do. I'm on a high protein liquid diet in prep for surgery. Ugh. So not eating and not smoking!!!

• Like 7

It's not all about the eating, although be aware your blood sugar levels will dance around for a week or so, just have a plan in place for something to distract you a bit at those times. I am unsure what your diet consists of but it sounds like natural sugars may be an issue to add in? But that's ok, it just helps a bit is all, not the end of the world :)

You can chat to us if you feel a bit shaky or tired. x

It is a little daunting if you think on it as a whole quit. I found the guys here helped me see I should only worry about today. Today I won't smoke and tomorrow I will make a choice again, one day at a time, one hour at a time etc etc. 

So day 1 is fantastic!! It's a shock isn't it, but it's also exhilerating, you are already quit. You're a non smoker RIGHT NOW. Pretty cool :) It helps a little to read about why we end up addicted to smoking. Understanding anything helps us to fight it off. I liked whyquit.com too. Lots of great advice and horrific stories actually, make you see the reality of being a smoker a little more. Made me choose not to be, go read up if you have some time. Oh, and keep posting so we know how best to support you if you want that...or vent away if you need to.  

This place is your sanctuary now. xx

• Like 3

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_01_01_junkie.html - a bit in this saying smoking is the biggest killer got me thinking, wow, that's not what I signed up for all those years ago?!

http://www.quittrain.com/forum/15-joel-spitzers-quit-smoking-video-library/   Videos here. They help.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   Dopamine pathways description

Some early suggestions :) x

• Like 3

Hi and welcome to this wonderful place....

All the support you need to suceed is right here....

Allan Carr the easy way....is a great read ...and has helped so many....

Understanding this addiction is the key to quitting....

Meet the enemy head on....

Great you are here...

Welcome Nixter,

You are in the perfect place to quit smoking- believe me- it gets easier as the days go by- good time to quit,, the longer we smoke the harder it is.

Dig in an absorb all the information here- lots of it blew my mind and seemed to give my quit lots of strength-- smoking urges get weaker

every time-

I did gum, still do- I know, its a "replacement" of sorts  - it really does help me- a powerful flavor too,, way better than a smoke ever was.

and,,, I really do enjoy the extra $$$ im my pocket- I usually buy steak,, etc-- cause I can,,,

one day at a time bro,,, you can do this,

RC

• Like 1

Hi Nixter and welcome - we are glad you found us too :-). Most of us here were long term smokers - so we are all proof quitting is possible ....so stay close, join in - you can do this and we are here for support if you need it :-)

Nice to meet you Nixter - and congrats on being a non-smoker :)

Quitting smoking and joining this place was literally the smartest thing I have ever done... Before I quit, it was like I was living a half life. So many wonderful things have happened to me because I no longer smoke, and I cannot recommend being smoke free enough :)

Please stay close and we will try to help you. Start by taking it one crave at a time and then one day at a time - you can do this! It might feel like a challenge at times, but it is certainly possible, and the benefits are endless :)

And good luck with your surgery!

• Like 1