Hobby - Recreation

overcome

@overcome, my nephew would love that! He's in the Army now but has been collecting guns since he was old enough to shoot one and in Florida that's pretty young lol. They used to go to the range every Sunday as a family fun day.

My hobby was league bowling 😊

Edited by jillar
  • Like 4

We started seeing the Army at our matches in 2002, they were watching us to learn our sport.

Then they started the Army Marksmanship Unit. They recruited young people and signed them up, their job in the Army was to shoot ....... later these kids started showing up shooting in USPSA circuit. These kids job in the Army was to have two trainers constantly and shoot a bazillion rounds, their speed, reflexes, balance and technique were tough to beat. If you stop the video at 1.51 and read the guys shirt. 

The top shooters in the Country now are kids that have served in the AMU and got out of the Army. They now have big name sponsors, making a pile of money to shoot the USPSA circuit. All I have is plaques and trophies, the money came after my prime. I am no longer a competitor more of a participant now. 

I alway enjoyed bowling, is good fun!

Edited by overcome
  • Like 3

I still play club Softball and compete in masters tournaments and I also umpire.

Covid saw me give up both Netball and Basketball. That 2 year break in competition we had meant my broken old body was not making a comeback.

I collect hobbies... so it depends on the time of year and my latest hyperfixation

• Like 4

7 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

I still play club Softball and compete in masters tournaments and I also umpire.

Covid saw me give up both Netball and Basketball. That 2 year break in competition we had meant my broken old body was not making a comeback.

I collect hobbies... so it depends on the time of year and my latest hyperfixation

I used to play baseball, even tried Umpire younger kids....the thing about being the Umpire I did not like, everyone was always yelling at you...that was a strike, he was safe...on and on. Got tired of all the arguing/yelling and even some parents fighting lol. 

• Like 3

On 12/17/2022 at 7:35 PM, overcome said:

What hobbies and/or recreation do you all enjoy. 

I'm a dedicated river rat.  Started off with whitewater kayaking.  Made the decision to make the move to canoes instead of kayaks after one particularly close call on Big Soddy Creek.  Worked as a raft guide on the Ocoee and Nantahala rivers during my younger days.

Haven't been doing as much whitewater running over the last couple of years.  Now that I'm a full-fledged adult with responsibilities, I can't just drop everything for a couple of days chasing rain and flood stage creeks all over the South like I used to.

I still get in plenty of time on the water though.  I've been doing a lot of fishing lately.  Mostly freshwater fly fishing, but I'll break out a spinning reel from time-to-time and fish anything from the Tennessee River down to small farm ponds.  We're looking at making another trip down to Florida next year...get into some saltwater action.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, intoxicated yoda said:

Golf is my hobby.  I used to do the sporting clays but there isn't a sporting clay range anywhere near me now.  That looks like a lot of fun but that ammo has got to be getting expensive these days.  @overcomedo you do your own reloads?

Yes - with as many rounds as I have fired over the years and even with some sponsors, I always load my own. A competitor almost has too, to find the most accurate and reliable round for each firearm.  It is the science that makes it very interesting also. 

I do enjoy Golf occasionally as well. 

Edited by overcome
  • Like 4

I’ve enjoyed all of the above at one time or another over the years. I’ve been active my whole life, until recently. I guess if I had to choose one it would be fishing. It’s just my favorite thing to do. @Boo It is highly possible that you could have been my raft guide at least once on my white water rafting forays. Exciting times! I haven’t been in so many years though. Other than fishing, I do books. Many, many and any books. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gus said:

@Boo It is highly possible that you could have been my raft guide at least once on my white water rafting forays. Exciting times! 

It's entirely possible.  I guided between 1991 and 1997.  Worked at Cherokee Rafting for a couple of years then went to work for NOC.

If you heard a lecture from your guide about the glories of taking the hero route as opposed to the chicken route or remember the phrase "Hold on to your T-grip like it holds the cure for all that ails you."...That was probably me.

None of us got rich guiding rafts, but it's unlikely that anyone had more fun at work than we did.

• Like 4

On 12/19/2022 at 1:36 AM, overcome said:

I used to play baseball, even tried Umpire younger kids....the thing about being the Umpire I did not like, everyone was always yelling at you...that was a strike, he was safe...on and on. Got tired of all the arguing/yelling and even some parents fighting lol. 

I just offer them my clicker and say the jobs all there's... usually shuts them up. I do the little kids and I do the adult men.... guess which players are better behaved 

• Haha 3