I heard a great reminder this morning

I was sitting in the garden with the morning paper.....enjoying the peace.....when....

A neighbour 2 gardens down started his smokers hack cough.....

I stopped reading and just listened......

It went on for ever....hacking ,coughing....

Am I ever so grateful to have quit,and not have to sound like that ever again......

It was a great reminder ,never take another puff......

• Like 16

Whenever I visit family, I hear them wheeze, cough, hack because they chain smoke the entire time I'm there. It's definitely a reminder of why I quit in the first place and why I never, ever want to go back to smoking.

NOPE!

• Like 3

i live with a smoker...so i have daily reminders of it..i never had a smokers cough either...which i don't think was a good thing...I didn't cough anything up.

my dad never coughed....ever.  Never wheezed...went to the gym faithfully and never had trouble breathing.  yet...he died of lung cancer. 

You just never know.

i live with a smoker....

I don't know how you do it. I don't think there's any way in hell I could have ever quit with a smoker in the house. You and a few others on here have smokers in the house. I have the UTMOST respect for anyone that can pull that off. That's commendable.

• Like 3

I don't know how you do it. I don't think there's any way in hell I could have ever quit with a smoker in the house. You and a few others on here have smokers in the house. I have the UTMOST respect for anyone that can pull that off. That's commendable.

oh but the smoker doesn't dare smoke in the house... No way.  I wouldn't tolerate that.  It was easy though because there never was smoking in this house so it was no different when i quit. What anyone does with their own bodies, i cant control...but my air space...is mine and i have a right to clean air.  Everyone does.

• Like 3

I seriously think the temptation would be too much for me.  I have a hard time now with my weakest link living right down the street...... I can't even imagine in the same home. 

I still say your a stronger person than I think I could ever be. 

• Like 2

i hate to admit this Tiff....but the smoker in my life helped re-enforce my quit because I would watch him smoke and not envy him at all...I felt sorry for him.  Watching him take a puff...inhale..immediately see him relax and chill out...only to see the pressure build up again 20 minutes later.  It would happen right in front of my eyes and as soon as i looked at him like that....there was no going back to envy or temptation...how could I?  He clearly had to smoke..then...and still now...and it's sad. 

• Like 5

I'm not there yet.  Getting there and looking forward to the day that I am there.  But definitely not there yet. 

I still miss smoking.  Don't misunderstand me...... I don't miss the smoke, the cigarettes, the having to go outside to smoke, the being tired all the time, etc, etc, etc......  But I do miss the relaxing part of it.  I miss the feeling of it.  The inhalation/ exhalation aspect of it.  

But I am NOT smoking and hopefully will find alternatives to those feelings.  LIke breathing in FRESH air and having more time on my hands to find relaxing things to do.  

There had to have been a complete transformation in your thought processes re smoking prior to you quitting.  Otherwise, I don't know how you could have done that.   Most people, I think, would have the transformation after quitting.  That is reinforced with time. 

Every time my mum coughs, she's like oh it's the weather, oh your perfume is strong, oh it's dusty - NO mother it's the 30 ,roll ups you smoke!!!

:( wish she would see the truth

That was me - I didn't have a smokers cough - I had allergies ! a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

I understand babs....

It's a sad thing to watch,but watching tony on his oxygen machine,has only made my quit stronger....

It's a constant reminder,of what could happen to me if I relapse.....

Seeing it every day,watching the struggles,gasping for air,.

Stay strong tiff,

• Like 2

I do not miss not being able to breathe.

There were some mornings where I would wake up and cough/wheeze for what seemed like ages because of my smoking + asthma. Thinking about it now, I don't know WHY I continued smoking. You would think gasping for air would have made me shake my head and realize what I was doing to myself, but nope. It's crazy how this addiction works. 

• 2 years later...