July 19, 20215 yr Found some new tools I've been here a while now . I'm so impressed with this site and all the tools available to help quit smoking , to engage in friendship and even excersise . Today for the first time I checked out the blogs . Thanks Jillar for posting those , it will be on my reading everyday . You can never have enough information on quitting and others testimony was a huge part of my quit . I was so grateful to those willing to share their experience because it helped mine . It really did help my quit to know especially what my elders went through , how they coped , and how they overcame . From blogs to discussions , the lounge to educational videos and links , rewards and friendships , this place is maaaavelous . No excuses here not to reach out or find something that's comfortable for us to engage in or just read . It's too good to be true . I'm sure this place has seen a lot of winners in its days , and will have many more to come . I love that is open world wide . Thanks to its creators and the thought put into it . Edited July 19, 20215 yr by Abby
July 19, 20215 yr We can thank @MarylandQuitter for creating the site. And all our members for creating the massive amount of content 😊
July 20, 20215 yr It wasn’t hard for me to find it. I belong to several other special interest forums, so just did a google search for “online support groups to help you quit smoking” There were several, but this one seemed the best fit, for me, after reading the group’s philosophy. I liked that it was all inclusive, no matter if you had quit yet, or not, or what method you used to quit.
July 20, 20215 yr It would be interesting to hear from others. Of course, what matters is the answers from folks who didn't find our site. When I googled 'quit smoking' I did not get our site. Searching 'quit smoking forums' the site was on page 2. Yet, I think a forum is a better resource than all the govt and medical sites that give you a simplified set of instructions on how to quit. Anyway, my point is, if more people who wanted to quit were able to get the support that this forum is able to provide, they would likely have a better chance of success. Edited July 20, 20215 yr by d2e8b8
July 20, 20215 yr 7 minutes ago, d2e8b8 said: Of course, what matters is the answers from folks who didn't find our site. If they didn't find our site how are they going to answer?🤔😆
July 20, 20215 yr do not know how I got here, just glad I am here. I don't think I would be doing so well with giving up the smokes without having the support of others going thru the same thing. I am grateful that the site is here. K
July 20, 20215 yr @Kris, well said! That is exactly how I feel. Sticking close to this group reinforces my resolve to stay away from cigarettes.
July 20, 20215 yr 16 hours ago, jillar said: If they didn't find our site how are they going to answer?🤔😆 Well yes, that's kind of the point. It would be nice to compare experiences of people that did not find the site vs that did. But since the people that did not find the site cannot be here to answer the question, the alternative perhaps is to compare experiences 'before' and 'after' coming here. For me, it was a game-changer as I had repeatedly failed on my own by reading the 'how to quit' instructions. I had not realized that I'd need support to do this.
July 20, 20215 yr Not sure how I found this site. I was on the QSMB before it went down and happened on this site a month or so later. A great place for all.
July 21, 20215 yr I am not sure I really need this site to keep my quit. I had a six year quit, in the past, without any support. Since I blew that quit, literally, I figured finding an online support group could be a good idea. Though I might be fine, on my own, I have found everyone so welcoming and interesting, that I decided to stick around, and I visit almost daily. Participating in the silly games is fun, too. Since I’m retired, I definitely have the time to contribute. I also enjoy helping others, as I am a born caretaker. So, a win/win for me.
July 21, 20215 yr Author No idea how I found this site but sure glad I did . ( DRS ) . Don't remember stuff like I used to . It's really quite fun here . The people are really fun and supportive and like I said , lots and lots to do and lots of incentives and encouragements to help . Can't ask for anything more except would be fun to meet one day . Like you katgirl I had an eight year quit with no support and now I have ten with support . I could leave , but why ? I am retired , I love giving back , helping and encouraging others and I don't want to forget where I came from ...that day one , you know . I also have waaay too much time on my hands lol especially in winter so hey why not . Besides I'm shooting for fifteen years smoke free . They say that's when you are truly a non smoker not just an Ex smoker anymore , so sorry people , you are stuck with me five more years . I'm not done living for a long time or if it's only a year I'm darn well going to have fun . Don't need smoking for that , just family , friends and quit train friends. Edited July 21, 20215 yr by Abby
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.