Patch

SamDy

So after failing cold turkey a ton of times and consulting with my doctor multiple times, she has now said I should be ok using the patch. So I just bought my first pack of patches. However, since I've been told horror stories about them, I'm now scared to use them. Any tips? 

We have a lot of successful members who have quit using the patch SamDy. I didn't but do know that you shouldn't wear the patch to bed and to put it in a different spot everyday. 

I'm not sure what kind of horror stories you've heard but there are way more horror stories of people who didn't quit smoking so why not give the patches a chance first?

• Like 5

What Jillar said SamDy! The only issues I have ever heard of with patches would be skin irritation for some and sleep/dream issues when people kept them on at night. So by not wearing one at night and moving it around each day you should be fine. Did you also peak with your Dr. about how much you smoked and what level of nicotine replacement you would likely require to allow you to gradually reduce your daily nicotine intake to avoid the worst of physical withdrawal? It's a delicate balance in terms of getting that nicotine volume right so you are not getting too much or too little initially. That's an important number to get right at the outset of your quit :) 

• Like 4

I haven't heard any real horror stories regarding the patch. I have heard a lot of success stories though. You need to commit to being a non smoker and the patch might be the right quitting alternative for you. Give it a try and follow the directions on the box. I have never used the patch but their are many people here who have. They will post regarding their experiences and then you can ask them about any concerns you might have. Quitting will be the best thing to make you a happier and healthier version of yourself.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

What Jillar said SamDy! The only issues I have ever heard of with patches would be skin irritation for some and sleep/dream issues when people kept them on at night. So by not wearing one at night and moving it around each day you should be fine. 

I quit cold turkey this quit, but on a previous quit I used them, and yes they can cause bad dreams, so take them off before you go to sleep, and put a new one on as soon as you wake. Also they can cause skin reactions, and it’s usually advised to put them in a different place each day. I did back of shoulder right side, then left thigh, then back of shoulder left, and right thigh, and repeat. This suited me and I didn’t get a reaction. It can itch a little when first applied, so remove the protective covering of the patch and wave it around a bit, to evaporate some of the alcohol, that helped a lot. It may still itch, but skin should get used to it after a few days. If not speak to your doctor. Also depending on how many you smoke, will determine which patch you take ie 7 , 14 or 21 milligram. The 21 milligram gave me bad palpitations, so  I took it off and consulted my stop smoking advisor. I was advised to drop down to 14 milligram instead and was ok on those. If you have problems speak to your doctor or stop smoking advisor. They are different for everyone so don’t let what others have told you put you off. As Jillar says, plenty of horror stories about for those who didn’t stop smoking.

Do whatever it takes...

• Like 5

SamDy, Don't be scared to use the patch.  I started using the 21 mg patch 11 days ago, and it has been really helping me.  I chose the 21 mg because I was a one pack per day smoker.  (I smoked for 23 years.) I move mine around to different locations on my upper arms and have noticed minimal skin irritation only one time and it quickly went away.  I don't wear a patch when I go to sleep, but I did accidentally fall asleep once without taking it off and I did have very strange dreams, woke up and simply took it off, and I was fine.  I would not be scared of using it--it has helped me tremendously--I never thought I could go 1 day without smoking, and so far I have gone 11 days smokefree!  I think you will find it helps a lot and even better that your doctor recommended it!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SamDy said:

So after failing cold turkey a ton of times and consulting with my doctor multiple times, she has now said I should be ok using the patch. So I just bought my first pack of patches. However, since I've been told horror stories about them, I'm now scared to use them. Any tips? 

I did not quit by using the patch but a lot of successful quitters did.  If you doctor says it is ok, I think it is fine. I would definitely listen to the advice given by other posters in this thread.  The goal is to become a nonsmoker and the patch is definitely a legitimate way to go.

You are doing a great thing by quitting smoking.

• Like 4

Hello and welcome ...

We have had successful quitters here using the patch. ....

Maybe if you could elaborate on what worry,s you have ..you will receive more help...

Contracting a smoking related illness would be a lot worse I'm sure ...

Glad you found us ....

• Like 4

Hi SamDy!  I used the patches this time and I thought it made it super easy to quit compared to cold turkey.  I experienced almost no withdrawal symptoms...just a small amount of brain fog when I stepped down from 21 mg to 14 mg.  I wore them 24/7, except when I showered.  I did have some strange dreams but I kind of enjoyed them because I almost never remember my dreams.  It was something different.  I always put the patch on my back, over a shoulder blade, and just alternated the sides each day.  I didn't experience any skin irritation even though I used the same two spots over and over.  I didn't have any problems with the patches at all and hope that the same is true for you.  Best wishes to you for a successful quit!!

• Like 4