Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

First couple days ... now scared

Featured Replies

Good news, Andrew!  Getting enough sleep will make everything easier (or so I hear).  Keep up the great work. 

  • Replies 80
  • Views 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • AndrewAsh
    AndrewAsh

    Hey all just checking in ...  still smoke free , going on two months!!!   not really having any urges to even have a cigarette.    battling really dry sinus nowadays. Nose feels

  • Welcome aboard, Andrew! You've gotten some great feedback above. I wanted to add that I've gotten heart palpitations with anxiety attacks, and anxiety attacks are common early in the withdrawal proces

  • Thanks Abbynormal...   I appreciate the support and honesty. And yes , they certainly are terrifying and i couldn’t imagine a worse feeling. But I am holding strong and committed.   

Posted Images

Awesome Andrew, thanks for the update 😊 Maybe when you get a chance you can fill in your quit date so we can know where you are in your quit? 

Another super inspiring thing is our tickers. They show you how many cigarettes you've avoided since you quit as well as the time and money saved by quitting. I loved watching mine and couldn't believe the numbers I was seeing! 😲

Way - to- go Andrew ....you are doing brilliant.....

Yes !!!!....our tickers are a great tool ....the sense of pride you get watching the money grow due to cigs not smoked ....can be very powerful....done forget a reward ....doesn't matter what it is ...as long as you treat it as a Reward for all your hard work ....youv,e so earned it ...

  • Author

So I do have one more question...

is Smokers flu or Quitters Flu a real thing. 
 

not gonna lie, I was feeling pretty good the last couple days , thought we were on the gravy train rolling and then this afternoon unbearable headache and coughs ; no fevers or anything of that nature just the headache , coughs and stuffy nose ... ugh 

Great question @AndrewAsh, quitters flu is real in that some recovery symptoms we have mimic flu like symptoms. The headache, coughing, foggy feeling. But it also is cold and flu season so it could be that you're just coming down with a cold. You'll be pleasantly surprised to find that the colds you do get won't last as long as they did when you smoked. I also found that I got far less colds after I quit.

I hope you feel better soon 😊

  • Author
56 minutes ago, jillar said:

Great question @AndrewAsh, quitters flu is real in that some recovery symptoms we have mimic flu like symptoms. The headache, coughing, foggy feeling. But it also is cold and flu season so it could be that you're just coming down with a cold. You'll be pleasantly surprised to find that the colds you do get won't last as long as they did when you smoked. I also found that I got far less colds after I quit.

I hope you feel better soon 😊

Thanks so much 

 

Andrew, try to up the amount of water you're drinking and see if that will help a bit.  Maybe also try some sliced ginger root, honey and hot water.

 

10 days!!  I'm super stoked for you 👍. It's been said before, kickin an addiction ain't for sissies.  You've taken the upper hand.  Be proud!

Edited by Runfree

Hi Andrew....it may be just coincidence.....you may have had a cold lurking ....

Your body will be able to fight off colds much quicker and easier now you are smoke free....

Your still in the early stages of healing ....be kind to yourself ....

I don't get no where near the amount of colds I used to get ....and they are soon gone too....

Stay strong ....

  • Author
50 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Hello, Andrew.

Congratulations on quitting smoking.

Have you stopped taking NRT's also ?

 

Here are a few links to our friend, Joel Spitzer, on the issues you have mentioned;

 

After Quitting Smoking Is There Such A Thing As Quitters Flu ?

 

Common Symptoms

Yes NRT free as well 

Just now, AndrewAsh said:

Yes NRT free as well 

 

 

Excellent !  Smoking had the tendency of hiding many health issues so, please consult a professional on any concerns.

 

Congratulations on quitting smoking and being nicotine free !

Everything will get better by and by.  Don't expect immediate results, it takes time to reconfigure the nicotine addict's brain.

Rewarding yourself helps.

The Significance of Rewards

2 hours ago, AndrewAsh said:

Yes NRT free as well 

 

Excellent!!

2 hours ago, AndrewAsh said:

Yes NRT free as well 

 

Keep up the great work, @AndrewAsh

  • Author
5 hours ago, johnny5 said:

 

Keep up the great work, @AndrewAsh

Thanks appreciate the kind words ....

seems like one thing after another ; have a fever of 102-103 ... 

probably not related to quitting but dam when it rains it pours , frustrating 

Wow,

that's some fever, Andrew.

Liquids....drink liquids till your teeth float ! and sleep the sleep of the just.

Hope the fever breaks tonight and you feel better tomorrow.

 

You have 11 days of Freedom under your belt and Nicotine is pretty much completely gone from your body.

Congratulations on your new life !  Soon you will be well enough to celebrate with us.

 

You may have a flu.  You may also be flushing all kinds of grossness out of your system.  Hang in there.  Up the liquids.

  • Author
16 hours ago, Runfree said:

You may have a flu.  You may also be flushing all kinds of grossness out of your system.  Hang in there.  Up the liquids.

Most likely 

back to normal today it seems, fever at 99 , probably a mix of everything 

I just want to re-iterate. You have a fever that is unrelated to quitting smoking.

Do not hesitate to seek professional help.

Check out this page with more resources HERE

 

 

If I may I would like to write a important message from Joel ...

Concerning fever,s after quitting .... hopefully it will help us in the future ....

 

Thanks appreciate the kind words ....

seems like one thing after another ; have a fever of 102-103 ... 

probably not related to quitting but dam when it rains it pours , frustrating "

 

Once there is a fever involved the word "probably" does not belong here. Fever is sign of an infection.

The video on the page " "Is there such a thing as a "quitters flu"  states this clearly.

 

His post serves as a clear example for why people who are off for more than a few days should never write off flu like symptoms to some form of a "quitters flu." It puts the person at risk of going out and getting themselves sicker because they are writing off symptoms to nicotine withdrawal and also puts them in the position of infecting others around them.

 

It is important to always note that once a fever is involved--even if within the first 72 hours of a quit, the person is not getting that fever from nicotine withdrawal. It is the sign of an infection.

 

 

  • Author

Thanks for the notes all ...

I am definitely not taking the fever lightly or connecting it to quitting smoking. 
Took the day off work , been relaxing , drinking tons of fluids. Fever is essentially gone ... since I am a little anxious , I check my temp every hour or so (maybe more) 

thank you all for the concern 

  • Author
4 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Good news Andrew ....

Your giving yourself some TLC ....hopefully you will soon be back to your old fabulous Smoke Free Self ..

Well done ....

Thank you so much 

plugging and chugging 

dry cough , no fever

moving forward :)

  • Author

Hey all , checking in 

 

still going strong smoke free .. other than trying to adjust to sleep things are going well. Still kinda having a hard time getting a good nights rest but it’s been better than last week. 
plugging and chugging along. Having some stomach adjustments as well, which my doc told me is expected. 
 

getting closer and closer to 1 month :) 

3 minutes ago, AndrewAsh said:

getting closer and closer to 1 month :) 

 Oh man, those "one" anniversaries are the best!  I'm way happy for you, AA

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.