Chest pain/shortness of breath after quitting

Tylers1027

Hi everyone!  I'm on day 15 of quitting.  Sunday night I had a volleyball double header (had been off 6 weeks and this was the first night back).  I felt fine during the game, but the past 3 days since I've kindof felt short on breath, chest feels tight/sharp pains while breathing.  Also while laying down on my right side it hurts (feels better laying on left side).  I'm thinking I may have just pulled a muscle in my chest or something after jumping back into volleyball after not playing over a month.  I wasn't sure if the stopping smoking may have had an effect on this also?  The pain seems to be going away a little each day so wasn't sure if should go to the doctor or wait it out a few more days?  

• Like 2

Whenever you're concerned you should go to your dr. I can tell you that the cilia n your lungs is starting to regrow and begin it's job of trying to clean out all the junk in your lungs so shortness of breath is sometimes a symptom of that as is chest tightness BUT we aren't Drs so for your own peace of mind it doesn't hurt to give your dr a call and maybe get checked out. 

Congrats on 15 days quit, you're doing awesome 😊

• Like 3

Tylers1027,

Thanks for posting about this.  I had similar issues and eventually had a chest x-ray to confirm everything was on the up and up.

Your symptoms are probably just part of the healing process but if its worth your peace of mind, complain to your doctor and request they take a peek inside.

• Like 2

There are all sorts of things that feel odd during the early stages of a quit.  As others have said, if you are concerned, it is always good to see a doctor.  If nothing else, the doctor will probably be happy to see that you have quit smoking.

Congratulations on 15 days smoke free.  That is a big accomplishment.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, garry mhudson said:

Agree with previous posts. Way to go on the Quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too ! 

Congratulations on your quit and consult a health professional with any concerns.

Since you are still on patches, please be aware of Nicotine Side Effects

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 2