January 18, 20206 yr I haven't done very well with my smoking cessation in the last day and a half. My Nicorette Quickmist mouth sprays were declined yesterday for my own good because of my taking too much and becoming dependent on them. I've got no choice but to quit nicotine cold turkey. I feel really unwell and my bodily sensations feel numbed by the excessive withdrawal from nicotine. And I feel really jumpy and depressed. What an evil drug nicotine is! And thank goodness for the blocking of my personal allowance. At least I can't buy cigarettes!
January 18, 20206 yr Author My Carer gave me two cigarettes today but I wish he hadn't. He could see how much I was withdrawing from nicotine but a glass of nice cool water or him taking me a long brisk walk to distract me from smoking would have been a better move I think.
January 18, 20206 yr You must make the commitment to yourself to Never Take Another Puff, Not One Puff Ever. This is the only way you will conquer the addiction. Your carer was wrong but, it was...it is YOUR responsibility completely and YOUR choice to stick something in your mouth and light it on fire. It is all up to YOU. Smoke or be free. Please, educate yourself about nicotine addiction. This is the arsenal you need to win. Every time you want a smoke, go learn something about your addiction. We have a great library here. If you need help getting around the site you may find this thread helpful 10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine and pay special mind to our friend, Joel Spitzer's Library including Daily Quitting Lesson Guide Use your abilities to focus in on building a successful quit. You have access to terrific information and support from a wide selection of successful quitters. Take full advantage of both and you can get out of yourself a bit by helping and supporting others as well. As our friend, Sirius, asks, "The next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, "What price you are willing to pay to own yourself?"
January 18, 20206 yr I work with a guy in a secure NHS hospital who's been placed on a nicotine regime. He has nicotine spray on the hour then a lozenge the next hour and so on. He really is a slave to this and I see him constantly clock watching and getting more agitated as the hour approaches. It doesn't help in that he can't tell the time easily so is constantly asking how many minutes are left to go. Sometimes the nurse is a few minutes late in administrating the legally prescribed poison and that can lead to him becoming unsettled on occasion. It's mentally draining for himself, other clients and staff alike. I believe in cold turkey myself as anything else is just prolonging the pain of something that has to be done eventually. Good luck @BeautifulAspie1970
January 18, 20206 yr You can get really charged up by quitting smoking. You will be changing your life so much for the better ! The benefits are enormous and continue throughout your life. You will have quantum leaps in self respect, self confidence, self esteem and will have earned a profound trust in yourself. These are some of the gifts you will give yourself by becoming free of nicotine addiction. Sure, you may have some difficult moments but, nothing you cannot handle. You have the ability to quit. I hope you make the commitment, John David Baker. It will be one of the best decisions of your life. I quit cold turkey. Nicotine is pretty much out of your body in a few days. Then, it is a matter of changing your patterns and putting your brain to work for you. It isn't complicated. Not One Puff Ever.
January 18, 20206 yr It is so much better to just stop the nicotine. Shame on your caregiver! It only takes a couple of days to rid your body of nicotine. You have the right idea of going for a walk. The first couple of days may be tough but are so worth saying goodbye to the nicotine. Just keep yourself focused on the end result and you will be able to do this.
January 18, 20206 yr Author Thank you all for your very motivating advice comments. I'm now officially back on my Smoking Cessation Programme, hence my Quit. I'm also doing it Cold Turkey, with no NRT whatsoever. You're right, I was a very naughty Aspie in my poorly implemented decision to smoke this morning and then irresponsibly pass the buck on to my Caregiver. Shane on me! I want to let you all know that I value this internet resource and the fine people participating in it. NOPE forever!
January 18, 20206 yr Oh you v. naughty Beautiful one ! I am so glad you have made the right decision to quit. Cold turkey isn't nothing to be afraid of. You have embarked on a wonderful journey, John. Watch your blood sugar. Have plenty of cold water. Take walks to clear your head and break up a smoking routine. This thread may help you, it is a collection of things that helped all of us through the early days Your First Week Nicotine Free and go through all the materials I linked for you as well as meander around the site. In between learning all you can about nicotine addiction there is a vibrant social section with games, music and fun posts to enjoy, please drop in. Yay ! YOU QUIT SMOKING ! Celebrations are in order.
January 19, 20206 yr Author I don't know how to reset my quitdate on the http://www.quittrain.com website.
January 19, 20206 yr Author I don't know how to reset my quitdate on the Quit Train website. Please help. I'm getting really muddled.
January 19, 20206 yr Author I persevered with the account/profile settings on the site and managed to update my quitdate to 18th January 2020. There's a little pen over my profile picture and it enabled me to edit my profile. Awesome!
January 19, 20206 yr Beautiful Quitter . I'm so proud of you ....what your achieving is the most rewarding thing ,you can ever do for yourself ... This is your quit ....your in the driving seat ....let's do this ..... Read ,read read ,...learn all you can ...it will give you the power to fight .... Come here ....scream ,yell, chat ...we have seen it all..... Keep telling yourself how brilliant you really are ....you can do it !!!
January 20, 20206 yr Hang in there BeautifulAspie. You can do this. Stick close to the board. Lots of wonderful folks to help here. Good luck and best wishes.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.