Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Poll: Cover or Original 21 July 2019

Cover v Original #4 7 members have voted

  1. 1. Who gives Aus the best version of Hurt?

    • The Originals - Nine Inch Nails
      0%
      0
    • Cover - Johnny Cash
      100%
      7

This poll is closed to new votes

Poll closed on 07/26/19 at 12:59 PM

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Well we all kinda knew this one was coming. .  especially with @Boo in the house... I think that the cover us going to smash the original in the polls though. ... So here the are:

 

Original: Nine Inch Nails 

Cover: Johnny Cash 

The Song: Hurt

 

Original:

 

Cover:

 

It should come as no surprise that I voted for Johnny's version.

 

Trent Reznor not only wrote the song, but lived it and breathed it.  Cash and Reznor were hesitant at first about this cover.  Reznor because the song was such a personal and powerful detailing of his battles with heroin addiction and Cash thought the cover might come across as "gimmicky."  After hearing Cash's version and seeing the video, Reznor expressed great admiration for Johnny's interpretation of his song.

 

I've watched the video of Cash's version hundreds of times and it still hits me every single time.

  • Author

@Boo, you ever hear Reznor's acoustic version....still doesn't compare, but it's a third perspective of the same song.

The Man in Black -- has my vote -- Johnny voice is nothing but magic!!!!

My vote went to Johnny Cash.

 

I usually prefer the original to the cover but not in this case.  Trent Reznor has done some great, challenging and thought-provoking stuff and I know this song was very personal to him but watching Johnny Cash cover this is pretty amazing.

9 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

@Boo, you ever hear Reznor's acoustic version....still doesn't compare, but it's a third perspective of the same song.

 

I like the "unplugged" version better than the original.  Feels more powerful and haunting than the version on "The Downward Spiral" album.  I just never could get into the whole "industrial rock" sound.  It felt like the songs got lost somewhere in the effects.

 

Stripped down and raw is preferable to overproduced every time.  Which goes a long way in explaining why I hate most everything I hear on corporate radio these days.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.