Why "You must be determined that you will never smoke again"

several years back, in one of my failed quits, I decided to try hypnotherapy.  I saw a real life hypnotherapist, and I got an audio tape of Paul Mckenna's stop smoking trance stuff.

none of it did jack.  I finished each session and went and got a cigarette and put it in my mouth and smoked.

they had failed to make me not want to smoke.  I later learned why.

Years passed and the day of the ipod came.  I downloaded a new hypnotherapy track about better sleep, and relaxation....  it worked!  I was shocked and surprised.

the same author had a stop smoking track, so I thought I'd try it....  it didn't work!

but some of his words stuck in my mind...

......"You must be determined that you will never smoke again"

I realised the major flaw in my mindset and my attitude towards quitting....  I did not want to quit my beloved smokes, I wanted something to painlessly just stop me from loving them, and to make me repulsed by them.

until that moment I never realised that 'something' was me.

I had to be determined that I would never smoke again

the hypnotherapy, gums, patches, groups, counsellors, etc etc... were all just things to assist my own desire to quit, they could not envoke the desire, I had to do that.

some of you are waiting for something to change your desire to smoke... it's rare that anything will do that, this is why so many of us smoke ourselves literally to death.

You have to will yourself quit smoking. no one and nothing can do that for you.

• Like 6

I decided to try hypnotherapy.  I saw a real life hypnotherapist, and I got an audio tape of Paul Mckenna's stop smoking trance stuff.

none of it did jack.

That's because hypnotism is WooWoo™ of the highest order, Jonny.

Easy Peasy

• Like 1

The list that I have tried.  Hypnotist, Patch, well butrin, accu puncture, laser therapy, chantix, nicorette gum.  The AcuPuncture and the laser therapy were both within the last 2 years.  Yes- we are looking for an easy way out.  The only way it is going to be easy is if you really want it.  Even then the first few weeks seem like hell.  Sorry just had to say..

• Like 2

That's because hypnotism is WooWoo™ of the highest order, Jonny.

Easy Peasy

I don't know entirely Sarge, we do a pretty good job of recieving and accepting the brainwashing and programming of Phillip Morris, our peers, and the media, regarding how hard it is to quit. You know "them" what "They" say (private Jonny/Sarge joke )

that program kept me trapped in my own mind for too long.

I believe that Hypnotherapy is simlply NLP under a very relaxed state.  pretty much like all the other brainwashing :-)

at the end of the day, it is what it is to our own individual perspective and belief, it's kinda like a placebo, if you think it will help you, then it probably will :-)

easy peasy lemon squeezy ;-)

• Like 2

The list that I have tried.  Hypnotist, Patch, well butrin, accu puncture, laser therapy, chantix, nicorette gum.  The AcuPuncture and the laser therapy were both within the last 2 years.  Yes- we are looking for an easy way out.  The only way it is going to be easy is if you really want it.  Even then the first few weeks seem like hell.  Sorry just had to say..

It will get easier for you if you stick to it, and keep your commitment and focus

• Like 3

Sometimes we look to these things to remove the choice to smoke for us.  The above are all ways to help but they can never remove the choice nor can they provide us with the the simple truth that "once you want to quit more than you want to smoke", only then will you put out your last cigarette and come hell or high water, never pick one up again.  It ain't always easy and can be painful but when you want something bad enough, you cannot be stopped. 

Imagine if you had a $450,000,000 winning lottery ticket.  Nothing, not a cold, a fever, a broken leg or a broken down car could stop you from claiming your prize which would undoubtedly change your life forever.  You would likely fight off a thief should he try and steal it.  You'd protect it in the safest spot you could find.

If you can look at your quit in this same way, you'll never smoke again no matter how bad you think you might want to.  Your prize of quitting is much more than a pile of money because without your life, you have nothing.  Without your quit, you're slowly giving up years of your life and for what?  A dried up weed wrapped in chemically treated paper with a fancy filter which provides the illusion that you're somehow benefiting from sticking it between your lips, lighting it on fire and puffing away on it like it's a lifeline connected to an oxygen tank.

Just quit.  Deal with a little discomfort because you can't do something that you think you want to do.  We learned this lesson when we were children and our parents told us no.  This is no different.  Amy, just quit and stop torturing yourself.

I tell you this because I care.  I've said the same words to my brother who thinks it's too damn hard to quit.  He has no idea how much he's brainwashed himself.  I know this and can speak these words because I too was once brainwashed.

**** cigarettes, **** nicotine and **** Philip Morris.  You're not missing anything because they're all lousy fucks anyway.

/rant

• Like 7

Woo woo. lol. I like that word.

That's going to be my word for today.

Here in the pubs there is a drink called Woo Woo and I think that is what it does it makes you go Wooooo WOOO after a few shots!!

I think the problem is that with 99% of our quits, we walk into them thinking they are going to be as simple as saying I stopped smoking and we will go through no withdrawals and no craves and be able to walk away Simples.  Then when we hit the tough times it is so much easier to give in without a fight, then that once, just that 1% we realise that the quit is worthwhile following through, it is worth fighting the addiction and pulling through, we realise that we are worth fighting the crave for, unfortunately relapses will happen because the determination and fight wasnt strong enough.  As the quit continues we grow stronger and the addiction becomes weaker but we should always be prepared for a crave should it hit.

• Like 6

I don't know entirely Sarge, we do a pretty good job of recieving and accepting the brainwashing and programming of Phillip Morris, our peers, and the media, regarding how hard it is to quit. You know "them" what "They" say (private Jonny/Sarge joke )

that program kept me trapped in my own mind for too long.

I believe that Hypnotherapy is simlply NLP under a very relaxed state. pretty much like all the other brainwashing :-)

at the end of the day, it is what it is to our own individual perspective and belief, it's kinda like a placebo, if you think it will help you, then it probably will :-)

easy peasy lemon squeezy ;-)

I agree with this. We are only receptive to what we choose to receive.

Unless your in a weakened state, then the brain is vulnerable to all and any messages. However that is only temporary. Then it would revert back to what you choose to want to believe.

It's still all up to you.

• Like 4

You are so right Jonny-UNTIL you REALLY want to do it won't happen by wishing,praying or hoping. Their IS no magic wand either. Trust me after my heart attack I PRAYED every day that I would wake up & NOT have any desire to smoke. Then I hoped after I got stents 2 & 3 that my Dr. would see how unhappy I was cause HE was making me give up my best friend. I tried all sorts of methods & joined a few quit sites & would pi** & moan how unfair it was that I had to quit. I would make half hearted attempts & like Suz/Rainforest pointed out especially when I had to see the dr I would "try" to quit. Well it took almost 2 yrs of half@ss trying before I went almost 11 months & felt sooooooooooooo good I rewarded myself with a few wks of smoking. Finally on dec.4,2011 I finally accepted the fact that I either better quit or smoke myself into another heart attack. But yeah until you accept that whole NOPE thing you will struggle & be pissy & so the sooner you realize you're only killing yourself  the sooner you'll find peace etc for quitting. :yahoo:  :thank_you2:  :dance4: 

• Like 4