Hit and Run

Boo

21 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Tavares & Matthews pulled it out in the end - regardless of absent D-men :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last shot wins... Score fest... Wait till you see JT in the shoot out, his hat trick tonight was pretty but in the SO its a 180

3 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Braves are gettin 'er done at home 2-nite so far :) 

Of course .... a grand slam doesn't hurt :15_yum:

2 hours ago, reciprocity said:

LA now tied in Atlanta - WOW! Doesn't look good for the Braves ? 

That's postseason baseball for ya!

It looked good before it looked bad.  Then Freddie gave us the shot we needed.  And the bullpen closed things out...of course they made things really interesting before doing so, but what else would you expect from Atlanta's relievers?  Vizcaino always likes to put a couple of runners on base before breaking out the nasty stuff.

24 minutes ago, Whispers said:

Braves have a baseball game tomorrow !

It's October.  As long as you're still putting on a uniform...you have a chance.

Keep on choppin'!

I was attending a wedding in downtown Toronto this weekend and the saddest thing I have seen in awhile is a baseball stadium completely empty and not even anyone around it in the heart of a major city that is full of people looking for things to do. As you say ..... if you are still putting on a uniform this time of year .... there's a chance and a hope you will continue. If not, the ,magic is gone until at least next season. For the teams still in it ...... go team go!!

• Like 1

Yes, I agree with that. When you look at the season Tampa Bay had and finished in 3rd place 18 games behind that says a lot. I still prefer the NL although except for the DH the game is not played that differently anymore. Loved my running Redbirds of the 80`s but them days long gone in St. Louis. I think they only hit 9 triples as a team this year.

7 minutes ago, garry mhudson said:

Yes, I agree with that. When you look at the season Tampa Bay had and finished in 3rd place 18 games behind that says a lot. I still prefer the NL although except for the DH the game is not played that differently anymore. Loved my running Redbirds of the 80`s but them days long gone in St. Louis. I think they only hit 9 triples as a team this year.

The shift and Sabermetrics have changed the game. The shift killed players like ryan howards career . Cards always had good teams

• Like 1

Hate the shift. Over used but I guess the sabermetrics call for it. Not as much hitting to the other field these days or bunting. I am starting to sound like an old man that misses the game of his youth. That`s baseball. The Ty Cobb vs Babe Ruth thing. It is still a great game like no other.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, garry mhudson said:

Hate the shift. Over used but I guess the sabermetrics call for it. Not as much hitting to the other field these days or bunting. I am starting to sound like an old man that misses the game of his youth. That`s baseball. The Ty Cobb vs Babe Ruth thing. It is still a great game like no other.

I like small ball as well, i had read a couple years ago that players try and hit it higher to beat the shift that leads to more hrs and outs. learn to beat the shift and take advantage of the openings. They dont need to pull the ball, use the whole field ... Btw MetSox winning 7-0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whispers said:

Braves arrived early, good young team.

Still feel a bit disappointed with the outcome of today's game.  It wasn't technically over when Machado hit that three-run shot, but I heard the fat lady warming up the vocal cords off in the distance.

Like you say though, a good young team in Atlanta.  The future looks bright for the Braves.

50 minutes ago, garry mhudson said:

I still prefer the NL although except for the DH the game is not played that differently anymore. Loved my running Redbirds of the 80`s but them days long gone in St. Louis. I think they only hit 9 triples as a team this year.

I miss the so-called "small ball" style of baseball.  Good base running, timely hitting, productive outs...that was great baseball.

And those Cardinals teams of the 1980s did it as well as anybody.

19 minutes ago, garry mhudson said:

Hate the shift. Over used but I guess the sabermetrics call for it. Not as much hitting to the other field these days or bunting. 

I'm not so much surprised by how ubiquitous the shift is in baseball, but rather by the fact that hitters haven't destroyed the shift by now.  These are major league baseball players were talking about and no one knows how to poke a little opposite field shot through those huge gaps left by the shift.

C'mon guys....you're getting paid good money to do this stuff!

13 minutes ago, Whispers said:

I like small ball as well, i had read a couple years ago that players try and hit it higher to beat the shift that leads to more hrs and outs. learn to beat the shift and take advantage of the openings. They dont need to pull the ball, use the whole field ... Btw MetSox winning 7-0

Didn't read your response before clicking the "submit reply" button.

So, yeah...what he said!

Edited by Boo
  • Like 1

Well I am hoping for a better game tonight between the Yankees and Red Sox. I guess I am for the Yankees because I want more baseball and I don`t have to work tomorrow. Also, Boston swept us 4 to zip in 2004. Well, they just went up 1-0. J.D. Martinez sac. fly. Wish we could have kept him in Phoenix.

• Like 1

I'm hopping on the Brewer bandwagon.  I was undecided, then remembered that Bob "Mr. Baseball" Uecker is the voice of the Brew Crew.  That made it an easy decision.

If you've never heard any of Norm MacDonald and Artie Lange's Bob Uecker stories, do yourself a favor and check those out.  Funny stuff.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, garry mhudson said:

Boo, did you ever here what Bob Uecker said when asked the best way to catch Phil Nierko`s knucleball? Wait till it stops rolling and then pick it up. Go Brewers!

"My career started slow then tapered off."

"I had slumps that lasted into the winter."

"I kept my catcher's gear on during fights.  One day a couple of guys grabbed my arms, pulled my mask off, while one guy cracked me in the chops.  What really irritated me was: they were on my club."

"The Phillies told my dad: 'we're ready to sign your son for $2500.'  My dad replied: 'this family doesn't have that kind of money!'"

Too many Uecker quotes for one post.

On a somewhat related note...I met Phil Niekro when I was eight-years-old.  Nice guy.  Signed an autograph.  Took a picture with me.  Talked for a couple of minutes...This story has no real point, just thought I would get it out there that Phil Niekro is a good dude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2