Big Trigger

Rosewothorne

So one of the things I always did was smoke a cigarette or two before a meeting, especially a meeting I am leading. I get a little nervous before the meetings and cigarettes help me cope...that is my thinking. I have the first meeting since I quit in less than an hour and my heart is starting to pound and all of the sudden I've tears in my eyes for some reason unbeknownst to me. Seriously? I have no cigarettes in the house; there may be - no there are a few smokeable butts in the trash...how disgusting is that to consider? I know that I don't need one; it doesn't help with stress and it causes more...that's a scientific fact. But this is a big crutch that I've relied on for forever and I'm going to do without. I had a plan earlier but it's completely escaping me. I know it's a short notice SOS and I hate asking for help but I may need some help right now. So if anyone is out there a few words or distraction suggestions because I feel fresh out drawing a blank and I'm starting to get a headache. Good grief. An hour ago I felt really good about this and not making a big deal of it and now I'm starting to panic. Talk about a big deal. ARGH. 

I'm just repeating I can do this. I can do this....

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is a little late but remember this right now -

Eight days ago you probably felt like just giving up the Quit and smoking. But you didn't. You made it.

There may be weak moments or other big battles in the future but you were able to KTQ during those first three days. You are going on two weeks now.

I hope this reaches you when you really need it.

• Thanks 1

Hi Rose, sorry im late. The only thing i do is deep breaths, lots of them, just try and calm myself down. Say positive things over and over in your head and go over what you will be talking about in the meeting.  Just try keep your mind occupied and not on panic mode, easier said than done I know. I'm normally able to calm down once the meeting starts, hopefully you are the same. Let us know how you got on, I hope it went ok for you

48 minutes ago, Kermit said:

How did your meeting go? ?

Kermit- it went well. Thanks for asking. I was rough at first but then it got better pretty quickly. Wrapped myself tight in my worry that day! Luckily the folks here were very helpful. 

• Like 2