Newbies !!!!

Yes - don't be shy.

Quitting is serious business and together all of us are stronger. Plus, from what I have observed in the short time I've been around here, those that participate regularly here tend to be successful with their quits. That association with other smokers who have quit seems to be a very positive thing particularly when struggling in the early days. No matter what you're experiencing, someone here has experienced the exact same thing so, why not join in on the discussion :)

• Like 3

Hi I am new to this site and have joined because I have just thrown out the cigarette stubs...yes stubs, cause I have been reduced to smoking these as I have run out of cigarettes and I am broke!!  this is a common theme for me and I am fed up, sick and tired of trying to make ends meet and smoke!  I have given up before for short periods of time, mostly at the request of concerned family members.  This of course, whilst noble... I tell myself I am doing this for my family etc, does not work cause I have not deep down wanted to stop.  NOw this course of action leads to resentment (not fair at all at those I am resentful at) and deception...mostly of myself.  The situation has changed, I am now desperately wanting to quit and change my life, from one who is constantly digging around and planning my cigarette binge to somebody clinging inch by inch to the thought that I can in fact live a life without cigarettes.  I have smoked for close on 35 years and yes my world revolved around the next cigarette break.  I have been an active person, believe it or not, a worker and carer of others.  my vice was my only respite from the world and I have used it that way for all this time.  I also have a mental illness, where of course stress being a key factor only helped to cement my addiction.  I know others who have quit and I am in awe of them especially those who suffer from chronic bouts of mental illness...how do they do it?  I know this is a long post but I feel v vunerable and want so much to see a future with myself smoke free and happy.

• Like 2

Hi Annie,welcome aboard the quit train..this is the first step in taking back your life...

We have tons of information for you to read..go to the main board,look at the posts pinned with a green sign.

This is a great place to start..

We have a daily pledge..this helps you day by day stay smoke free...

Staying close to the board..we will get you through the rough patches should they arise...

The first week can be hard..but so worth the fight..

Let's get this job done..you and us..fight this nicotine monster...

Welcome annie! You show a lot of wisdom about what you are up against, based on what you said in your introduction. Please read all you can in the pinned threads on this board (the one's with the green pinned icon near the top of various pages). A couple of the important ingredients to being successful with a long term quit are, your desire to quit for yourself - no one else; just yourself. Sounds like you have that one done as opposed to some of your previous attempts. Secondly, understanding that this is a very manipulative addiction. It will play games with your mind in order to get you to feed it what it needs - nicotine! Just don't do it. It will make you think that smoking will reduce stress when in reality it doesn't. It just adds the stress of having to constantly feed the addiction.

It's not easy to quit for most people, as I'm sure you know. It IS very worthwhile to go through the withdrawal period though so that you can be smoke free for the rest of your life. Just imagine how proud you would be, beating this horrible addiction. There's no better feeling and that can overflow to other areas of your life. Stay with us annie. Read all you can. Watch the videos and join us in our daily nope pledge and our daily discussions as we all travel to freedom!

• Like 1