Day five on champix/chantix

Wendy

Hey Wendy...I am like Nancy..never heard of it causing nausea ..then again, I didnt use it (Champix) either..

Please dont take this wrong...typed words doesn't replace spoken words too well...lol

Dont lose sight of the fact that the chantix is a "quit smoking aid"...it wont "make" you quit...or even make you WANT to quit...I believe it is designed to "turn off" the nicotine receptors in the brain so you dont get the (emotional) satisfaction from the nicotine, so that when you actually "quit" you are not craving that satisfaction...

I guess what I an saying, is that, you need to make the commitment to quit when its time...taking the chantix will aid you when that time comes.. until then take it as prescribed and use this time to get yourself in the right frame of mind so when that day arrives.....you are actually looking forward to quitting...not dreading it.  

Its been advised many times, but I will suggest it again....spend all the free time you have watching Joels videos..reading Allen Carr...etc...prepare yourself for battle......This is a nasty habit and the more ready you are when the day comes, the more chance you have for success..

• Like 1

Hi, Wendy. Joe is absolutely correct. Chantix helps ease the physical withdrawal symptoms and it can lessen the pleasure you get from smoking but it does NOT make you quit smoking. Just like everybody else, you have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. Even with Chantix, you will have to deal with a lot of physical changes and you will struggle to keep your quit through a lot of jittery days and restless nights. Just like the rest of us, you will have days when you would KILL for a cigarette! And the best way to handle those feelings is by educating yourself about the nature of nicotine addiction and how to overcome it. Read "How Do I Quit Smoking" and "Your First Days, Nicotine Free" pinned to the top of the Discussion sub-forum, and watch a lot of Joel Spitzer's videos (also pinned). 

I took Chantix and it did help me quit, especially for the first couple of weeks. But to make my quit permanent I had to learn more about this addiction. I also read a lot of posts from the long-term quitters here-- their advice and support were crucial to my success. 

So don't sit around wondering when the Chantix will start to work. Assume it is working. You spend your time reading and posting and preparing yourself for your Quit Day and getting mentally ready to ditch the cigarettes. Get excited about this opportunity because that is what it is-- an opportunity to escape from this expensive, toxic addiction! Won't that be wonderful??!! 

• Like 1

Is it weird to want the vomit inducing??  If all they do is make you not enjoy the cig I'm buggered cos I don't enjoy them anyway.  Ever since I had hypnotherapy a few years back I've really not liked them .. the smell, the taste ... uurrgghhhhhhh .... I've smoked outside ever since - never indoors and I get through a fair few mints too ...

Sadly hypnotherapy didn't stop me wanting one anyway ... 

I did the hypnosis here many years back and it did nothing for me at all. I think that all I managed to get out of it was 24 hours, if that, smoke free. They were so busy trying to push and sell their supplements that I became really skeptical of it. Rightly so, because it didn't work. 

Is it the type of nausea where you feel that you would feel loads better if you threw up? You said in today's account that it was after smoking that you felt this way and not after the pill. I am optimistic that this is the pill starting to do what it is meant to do. Kind of like in A Clockwork Orange. ;) 

I don't think that the only thing that Chantix does is deter the enjoyment of the pill but from what I understand of it is that it blocks nicotine from reaching the receptors that are wanting it so in turn kind of forcing a withdrawal while making the withdrawal a little more tolerable.... I hope that I just made sense. Anywho... you are on day 6 now! Yay

Wendy, with any luck it does sound like it's starting to do it's job in the background. It might not be the same, I know, but with the Zyban they started to taste stale and almost left a horrid talcum powder feel in my mouth... I took this as a sign that the magic was happening.

Please keep recording your day Wendy, of course I read your points... Just post and if ness just don't respond to anything that gets your back up.

Is it next Friday you go back to the clinic? Be interesting to see the difference in a week.

Wendy because the cigs have started to taste stale have you noticed you are not as quick to light up? I found I went from 30 to around 8 a day, then woke up one day and none.

Are you less fearful of the day with zero?

How are you feeling when you think of d day?

Sorry if I sound like a reporter, it's just I'm genuinely interested.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with using Chantix and hoping it helps. Some have another opinion and I resent the way they judge you. Not everybody is like 'cut the crap and no nonsense'; emotions and preparation are important so Chrispy consort if you don't like this topic go be unsensitive to your mirror and let others do it their way!

Now that said.... I think it's good to prepair as long as you do not think you'll get fed of the fags and will stop then. If it was that easy it wasn't an adiction ;)

Yeah I can bitch, if needed ;)

There's nothing wrong with using Chantix and hoping it helps. Some have another opinion and I resent the way they judge you. Not everybody is like 'cut the crap and no nonsense'; emotions and preparation are important so Chrispy consort if you don't like this topic go be unsensitive to your mirror and let others do it their way!

Now that said.... I think it's good to prepair as long as you do not think you'll get fed of the fags and will stop then. If it was that easy it wasn't an adiction ;)

Yeah I can bitch, if needed ;)

You are right...I probably don't know what I am talking about.  Go ahead and offer your expertise.

I will say Evelyn I do absolutely agree that preparation and emotions can be vital for some of us. That's why this turned out my sticky quit as I took my time as was able to keep my emotions in check. Sadly my emotions where the undoing of me in my many failed attempts.

obviously we are all different, we don't have the exact same limbic brain, so will each have a different approach... Hell, as long as we all get there what does it matter how we get there. ;)

• Like 1