March 7, 20197 yr Study finds association between vaping and cardiovascular problems CTVNews.ca Staff Published Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:00AM EST Last Updated Thursday, March 7, 2019 12:05PM EST In this April 11, 2018, file photo, an unidentified 15-year-old high school student uses a vaping device near the school's campus in Cambridge, Mass. (AP Photo/Steven Senne) A new study has found an association between vaping, or the increasingly popular use of e-cigarettes, and negative cardiovascular health outcomes, including increased odds of having a heart attack, developing coronary artery disease or experiencing depression. The study, which will be presented later this month, is among the first to report such an understudied association and adds to the ongoing debate about whether e-cigarettes are a safer alternative to smoking tobacco. “These data are a real wake-up call and should prompt more action and awareness about the dangers of e-cigarettes,” Dr. Mohinder Vindhyal, an assistant professor at the University of Kansas School of Medicine Wichita and lead author of the study, said in a news release. The study looked at data submitted by nearly 96,500 respondents in 2014, 2016 and 2017 for the National Health Interview Survey issued by the U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. Related Stories Looking to quit smoking? Vaping more effective than patches and gum: study No one knows the best way to help teens addicted to vaping: experts Youth smoking decline stalls, and vaping may be to blame E-cigarette advertising may face heavy new restrictions It found that e-cigarette users were 34 per cent more likely to have a heart attack, 25 per cent more likely to have coronary artery disease and 55 per cent more likely to suffer from depression, when compared with non-users and after considering other known cardiovascular health risk factors such as age, weight and high blood pressure. Those who reported using e-cigarettes were on average roughly seven years younger than non-users, the study found. “When we dug deeper, we found that regardless of how frequently someone uses e-cigarettes, daily or just on some days, they are still more likely to have a heart attack or coronary artery disease,” Vindhyal said. Researchers said that their study has a number of limitations. For one, it doesn’t prove causation, only an association between any kind of smoking and poor health outcomes. It also does not determine whether these negative outcomes may have occurred prior to using e-cigarettes. “Cigarette smoking carries a much higher probability of heart attack and stroke than e-cigarettes,” Vindhyal said. “But that doesn’t mean that vaping is safe.” https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/study-finds-association-between-vaping-and-cardiovascular-problems-1.4325067
March 7, 20197 yr I got to be honest and say that I can't help but wonder if there is a reason the USA is so against e-cigarettes. I'm starting to think they want to keep people smoking actual cigarettes. In the UK the Asthma Association, Lung Foundation and Cancer Research all are very much for them. Our quit smoking clinics even give vouchers so people can buy them. Maybe your Governments aren't ready to give up the millions of dollars they gain from the tobacco industry. Just my own thoughts.
March 7, 20197 yr Author 9 minutes ago, Lilly said: I got to be honest and say that I can't help but wonder if there is a reason the USA is so against e-cigarettes. I'm starting to think they want to keep people smoking actual cigarettes. In the UK the Asthma Association, Lung Foundation and Cancer Research all are very much for them. Our quit smoking clinics even give vouchers so people can buy them. Maybe your Governments aren't ready to give up the millions of dollars they gain from the tobacco industry. Just my own thoughts. Some are making a lateral move from cigarettes to vaping- e ciggs. Big T is still delivering the nicotine to them, just educating them as they have been saying for years its safer . I used both and it was harsh on my throat a bit.
March 7, 20197 yr The tobacco companies do manufacture e cigarettes here but they definitely aren't the big players. They are safer but they still come with risks. They are apparently 95% safer but that statement doesn't come from the tobacco companies alone. They also don't supply the nicotine that goes in the e-liquid. It's supposedly a safer way to smoke. If people want to smoke and don't want to quit surely it's a better option? I wouldn't use one but I'm all for them taking over cigarettes.
March 7, 20197 yr Author Phillip Morris got involved, https://www.barrons.com/articles/philip-morris-ceo-on-vaping-juul-and-staying-relevant-51549577459 If they want to, they will find a way. They can use a bong and not use water instead ice cubes or even in winter snow to be less harsh instead of vaping or an ecigg. Its like smoking any drug, cocaine/crack. They can use a pipe or out of a can. Still feeding the addiction(nicotine), Smoking/Vaping/Bong .Nicotine is a chemical that is dangerous because you can get addicted.Nicotine/ The rush of adrenaline stimulates the body, causing a sudden release of glucose as well as an increase in blood pressure, heart rate, and respiration. Nicotine also suppresses insulin output from the pancreas, causing smokers to be slightly hyperglycemic. All they want to do is feed the people the nicotine, if people use the e cigg or vaping as a step down from smoking ok but if they replace it "lateral move" they are still addicts and nicotine is not safe at all no matter how its delivered . Out here i see the cycle from the unemployed, either on disability or welfare they smoke and drink as they have nothing else to do. Govt gets the $ right back. 24 minutes ago, Lilly said: It's supposedly a safer way to smoke. If people want to smoke and don't want to quit surely it's a better option? I wouldn't use one but I'm all for them taking over cigarettes. If they dont want to quit they will smoke until they get a scare or even sometimes until they pass away .
March 7, 20197 yr There is overwhelming evidence now about the danger and the chemicals involved in vaping and the discrepancies over nicotine levels. The fact is, inhaling anything into our lungs except clean air is dangerous. The major companies are hiding behind new shills to keep their captive audience, addicts.
March 8, 20197 yr I met a girl whose mom worked for Hospice. And she told me her mom said patients who vape were dying at young ages from vape fluid in their lungs, and that her mom thinks vapes cause danger even fast than cigarettes. I don't know if it's true, but it made me sure I wanted to quit instead of replace cigs with vapes.
March 8, 20197 yr 1 hour ago, Sazerac said: There is overwhelming evidence now about the danger and the chemicals involved in vaping and the discrepancies over nicotine levels. The fact is, inhaling anything into our lungs except clean air is dangerous. The major companies are hiding behind new shills to keep their captive audience, addicts. There is evidence here that they are safer than smoking. I agree that inhaling fresh air is the only safe thing for our lungs. I think the difference might be that e-cigarettes are regulated in the EU and companies have to comply. Might be why they aren't as safe in America and other countries. Anyway, it doesn't really matter as nobody here uses them. Why are we even talking about them ???
March 8, 20197 yr I've seen a lot of studies saying they're safer. But considering the history of advertising in the tobacco industry, I don't know if a consumer can be sure when a study claims safety. Sometimes the studies are funded by the manufacturer, lol. The subject interests me because I don't want to see kids making the mistakes I made, and I think vaping might not be good for them. I don't know...just hoping for a healthier population.
March 8, 20197 yr Author A lot of misinformation out there about vaping/e-gigg. Just like i did before i joined QSMB we lurk until we get the courage/confidence to quit . For those browsing the site looking for information it is here. When they become comfortable maybe the come in and join the discussion. Vaping is popular here
March 8, 20197 yr Education is essential. When you scour the research to make sure it isn't funded by Big Tobacco you will learn of the toxicity of ecigs for the user and for the second hand poison. Saying that vaping is 'safer' than cigarettes is not saying much. Not much at all. Is death by knife better than death by scissors ? They may not be equally as damaging or damaging by the same poisons to the same organs but, this doesn't preclude serious damage. @Whispers has been providing us with stellar information here and we have a read only forum that @MarylandQuitter set up, Vaping & Juling: Unquestionalble Addiction, Reckless Aftermath.
March 8, 20197 yr Well Saz we have a lot of research in this country and it contradicts everything you are saying. I'm not a user of e-cigarettes but I would much rather see my children holding one of those than smoking. Time will tell I suppose.
March 8, 20197 yr Author No matter how it's delivered, nicotine is harmful. Users risk exposing their respiratory systems to potentially harmful chemicals. We all quit smoking but we also quit nicotine. Even the gum and patches are used as a step down. Time will tell lilly but if anything has nicotine and it becomes a life long addiction that comes with fatal consequences
March 8, 20197 yr @Lilly, you are welcome to submit the evidence and the studies you have been researching that claim vaping is safe. This is why MQ opened the discussions here so we could add research we find and have a civil discourse. We may be getting former vapers down the road who want to address their nicotine addiction and understand the health issues attributed to vaping. But, I can't help but wonder if you have a personal agenda about defending vaping. Are you trying to find a way to not quit smoking or, to find an alternative to smoking and just not deal with your Nicotine Addiction ? Edited March 8, 20197 yr by Sazerac
March 8, 20197 yr I have a hard time communicating in cyberspace; when I read my posts they sound harsh, but that's not my intention. So I hope I don't sound that way to any of you. I wouldn't be critical of anybody who uses vaping to get off cigarettes. I don't feel certain, for myself, that vaping is safe, and I've already done a lot of damage to my body, so vaping wasn't for me. But that's a personal thing, and I support everybody in their battle against smoking, however they go about it.
March 8, 20197 yr 5 hours ago, Sazerac said: @Lilly, you are welcome to submit the evidence and the studies you have been researching that claim vaping is safe. This is why MQ opened the discussions here so we could add research we find and have a civil discourse. We may be getting former vapers down the road who want to address their nicotine addiction and understand the health issues attributed to vaping. But, I can't help but wonder if you have a personal agenda about defending vaping. Are you trying to find a way to not quit smoking or, to find an alternative to smoking and just not deal with your Nicotine Addiction ? I wondered how long it would be before somebody said something along the lines of personal agenda or troll. I have no agenda and I have no interest in vaping. As a grown woman if I did want to vape I would - I just wouldn't need this forum. In the country I live in e-cigarettes are used and they are regulated. In the country you live in they are hated and for some reason your reports differ to ours. I'm not some troll trying to flog e-cigarettes to everyone here but I am allowed to voice the fact they are promoted in the UK. Please don't assume because I'm not anti e-cigarettes that I have a secret agenda.
March 8, 20197 yr HERE is a new study from the British Medical Journal. It is a scientific paper. Scientists and health professionals from both sides of the pond are researching the dangers of vaping. None, to my knowledge, have determined that vaping is safe.
March 8, 20197 yr 3 hours ago, Icanhike said: I have a hard time communicating in cyberspace; when I read my posts they sound harsh, but that's not my intention. So I hope I don't sound that way to any of you. I wouldn't be critical of anybody who uses vaping to get off cigarettes. I don't feel certain, for myself, that vaping is safe, and I've already done a lot of damage to my body, so vaping wasn't for me. But that's a personal thing, and I support everybody in their battle against smoking, however they go about it. Your posts are never harsh x
March 8, 20197 yr 10 minutes ago, Sazerac said: HERE is a new study from the British Medical Journal. It is a scientific paper. Scientists and health professionals from both sides of the pond are researching the dangers of vaping. None, to my knowledge, have determined that vaping is safe. It's from last year
March 8, 20197 yr 9 minutes ago, Sazerac said: Online issue publication November 14, 2018 Received 8 February 2018 Revised 16 May 2018 Accepted 11 June 2018 Published Online First 13 August 2018
March 8, 20197 yr 12 hours ago, Lilly said: In the UK the Asthma Association, Lung Foundation and Cancer Research all are very much for them. Our quit smoking clinics even give vouchers so people can buy them. Interesting reading... Just curious Lilly ..What quit smoking clinics give out vouchers for them..?? As they are not licenced for use on nhs yet..
March 8, 20197 yr Here is a link Wee Fluffy Me. Go down the page a bit on right hand side X Edited to remove link as it showed my personal info Edited March 9, 20197 yr by Lilly
March 8, 20197 yr I was watching a documentary, (can't remember which one, I watch so many smoking documentaries), and it was showing people in the UK using vapes with a lot of enthusiasm. I wonder about the UK having the national health plan, because the government is paying for all the medical bills. So maybe the UK government has even more motivation than the American government to find ANY way of lowering the medical cost of cigarette consumption, even to the point of getting behind vapes.
March 8, 20197 yr It is illegal to sell vaping products in Australia that contain nicotine. There is no support of them by anyone other than big tobacco. In some states it is even illegal to sell vaping products period. Individuals can buy vaping fluid containing nicotine from overseas but can only bring in a 2 month supply for a single individual. I sometimes wonder if the reason we have so many nanny state laws is because we started as a prison and it's just ingrained to walk the line.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.