Hit and Run

Boo

5 hours ago, johnny5 said:

I really think Jimenez is going to be a superstar in the majors in a few years and that the Cubs are going to deeply regret making this deal.  

Hopefully Quintana will continue pitching like he did today but I never liked that trade.

I think everyone agrees with not liking the trade... but if it was me and I knew how everyone felt like Quintana has to know I'd be bustin me ar5e to prove everyone wrong, could be just the incentive he needed... "think they wasted a trade on me, I bloody show them" kinda deal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Boo said:

Quintana today and Darvish had his best outing of the season yesterday.  If Jon Lester returns to anything similar to how he pitched in 2016 and Kyle Hendricks stays solid...The Cubs rotation could exceed expectations.

The cubs always exceed expectations, everyone underestimates us, I just don't know why, its not like we gave them decades of evidence to fall back on.

22 minutes ago, Boo said:

I'm violating my own rule here.  I tend to air on the side of patience when some young phenom breaks into the show.  Screw that!  Ronald Acuna Jr. is a going to be a first ballot hall of famer!  I know he only has four games in, but I'm enjoying riding the wave of snap decisions and instant gratification.

Some players you just know, his first homer, I kid you night it was like watching someone warming up at training, it was so laid back and relaxed... It must feel good having him and Albies in the same line up.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ol' Ozzie Looney-Bird said:

Some players you just know, his first homer, I kid you night it was like watching someone warming up at training, it was so laid back and relaxed... It must feel good having him and Albies in the same line up.

Unless its kevin maas of the yankees!

@Boo Nl east is odd this year, Nats are a little injured but man i didnt expect that from them. And yesterday OMG, Mets get shelled and the Mighty yankees and their chirpy fans have awoken!  Braves look good and so does the 20 year old, its one month in and shaping up to be a fun year. Nfl draft had me busy a few days, great draft with a lot of excitement .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ol' Ozzie Looney-Bird said:

Yep.  The present is looking better than expected and the future could be downright fun.

10 hours ago, Whispers said:

Nl east is odd this year, Nats are a little injured but man i didnt expect that from them. 

Barring further injury, the Nationals should get stronger as the season progresses.  Of course at six-games out and 3-7 in their last 10, that hole is getting deeper.

10 hours ago, Whispers said:

Nfl draft had me busy a few days, great draft with a lot of excitement .

I don't follow college or pro football as closely as I used to.  I was interested to see who drafted Roquan Smith out of Georgia.  I watched UGA play a few times this season and Smith is one helluva linebacker.  Even by SEC standards, Smith stood out.  The Bears got a good one with that pick.

• Like 1

Just spent a few minutes looking at ESPN's MLB Power Rankings.  That's about three-minutes of my life I will never get back.  ESPN doesn't seem to figure in win-loss records, run differential, or head-to-head records when ranking teams.

That leaves me with one important question: who at ESPN is tasked with feeding the blindfolded monkey that throws darts at a board to come up with these rankings?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Boo said:

Just spent a few minutes looking at ESPN's MLB Power Rankings.  That's about three-minutes of my life I will never get back.  ESPN doesn't seem to figure in win-loss records, run differential, or head-to-head records when ranking teams.

That leaves me with one important question: who at ESPN is tasked with feeding the blindfolded monkey that throws darts at a board to come up with these rankings?

I agree bunch of crap , phillies over the mets? Mets Vs Braves again, should be a good one. I get to see the kid you got live and you avoid Cespedes as he'll be out the series prob with a sore thumb from sliding yesterday

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Whispers said:

Good news, Cespedes is OK and just said he's playing tonight .. Good luck in series boo

Interesting pitching match-up for tonight's game.  The Mets sending out a proven ace in Syndergaard.  While the Braves debut Mike Soroka tonight.

Some think it's the wrong call.  Have a guy make his first start on the road against the team to beat in the East.  Personally, I like the call.  Might as well see how your top prospects fare in a tough environment.

Play ball!

1 hour ago, Boo said:

Interesting pitching match-up for tonight's game.  The Mets sending out a proven ace in Syndergaard.  While the Braves debut Mike Soroka tonight.

Some think it's the wrong call.  Have a guy make his first start on the road against the team to beat in the East.  Personally, I like the call.  Might as well see how your top prospects fare in a tough environment.

Play ball!

Mets first game back from a long trip, weather is finally nice here. Tomorrow we jump into summer temps...    Just looked up your SP and this is what i read

FANTASY BASEBALL

News: Soroka was called up from Triple-A Gwinnett and will start Tuesday against the Mets. (Tue May 1)

Spin: A first-round pick in the 2015 draft, Soroka has posted strong numbers at every stop on the way to the big leagues. His minor-league ERA sits at 2.85 after 353.1 innings, with good strikeout and walk rates (7.9 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9). He's a potential mid-rotation starter with solid command of a fastball, slider and changeup. Tuesday's start could be just a one-off, as Julio Teheran (back) and Anibal Sanchez (hamstring) are not likely to be out too long. The 20-year-old has the talent to stick in the majors at some point this season, though, even if he's not up for long this time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Whispers said:

FANTASY BASEBALL

News: Soroka was called up from Triple-A Gwinnett and will start Tuesday against the Mets. (Tue May 1)

Spin: A first-round pick in the 2015 draft, Soroka has posted strong numbers at every stop on the way to the big leagues. His minor-league ERA sits at 2.85 after 353.1 innings, with good strikeout and walk rates (7.9 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9). He's a potential mid-rotation starter with solid command of a fastball, slider and changeup. Tuesday's start could be just a one-off, as Julio Teheran (back) and Anibal Sanchez (hamstring) are not likely to be out too long. The 20-year-old has the talent to stick in the majors at some point this season, though, even if he's not up for long this time.

Soroka was solid in his debut last night.  There's a lot of 20 year-old talent in Atlanta right now.  And I'm not even talking about the strip clubs.

The Braves let things get interesting in the bottom of the ninth last night.  

37 minutes ago, Boo said:

Soroka was solid in his debut last night.  There's a lot of 20 year-old talent in Atlanta right now.  And I'm not even talking about the strip clubs.

The Braves let things get interesting in the bottom of the ninth last night.  

They sure did, i heard this stat last night Thor has never beat the braves in his short career! They got on him early and it was enough after he settled into the game. That kid pitched well last night, when i saw Acuna twisting on that fly ball i was like can this happen? Wasnt meant to be tho

• Like 1

Anthony Rizzo has hit a home run in each of the last two Cubs games.  Hopefully he's getting out of this slump.  He seems to start each season slowly and injuries haven't helped him this year either.

Unfortunately, the Cubs have dropped two after a six game win streak.  Most of the win streak was due to quality starting pitching and a bullpen that seem to be the strength of this team (minus Justin Wilson and Mike Montgomery).  There wasn't a ton of offense, though.

Things got ugly today as neither the pitching or offense showed up.  Yu Darvish gave up 5 earned runs (6 all together) in less than 5 innings and Mike Montgomery gave up another two.  I'm hoping Darvish turns things around soon.  I expect Jake Arrieta to regress some as this year goes on but it sure seems like they should have kept him instead of signing Darvish.

The Cubs' top minor league prospect is a AAA pitcher named Adbert Alzolay who might get the call up to the majors this season.  He's doing well so far and if Wilson, Montgomery, or Darvish continue their struggles, we might see Alzolay sooner than later.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

Anthony Rizzo has hit a home run in each of the last two Cubs games.  Hopefully he's getting out of this slump.  He seems to start each season slowly and injuries haven't helped him this year either.

Unfortunately, the Cubs have dropped two after a six game win streak. 

Rizzo shits me... omg he just does my head in... if he played half has good as his ego tells him he still can we'd be much better off.

The up and down is driving me crazy.

• Like 2

The Braves are really intriguing me too.  They are a really young and talented squad.  Acuna and Albies look like they have some serious potential and recent call-up Mike Soroka looks like an interesting one to follow as well. 

I don't follow the Braves like I do the Cubs but, growing up in the south, I remember the early days of the Braves '90's dominance and this feels a lot similar to that time.  They have a bright future ahead of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Rizzo shits me... omg he just does my head in... if he played half has good as his ego tells him he still can we'd be much better off.

The up and down is driving me crazy.

I'm more concerned about Darvish.  Rizzo often starts out really slow in the early season but usually produces by the end. 

Darvish, on the other hand, has had quite an injury history, a horrible World Series last year, and I just hope he can get things together.  He's causing me to have Edwin Jackson flashbacks.

@Boo, you gave it to us. Last time mets were shut out in back to back games was in 2015 Vs the cubbies... Good news is degrom isnt a serious injury, the bad news. Its tough being a Mets fan after getting swept and the cross town obnoxious fans look like 3 of 4 from Astros. And they're chirping ugg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So... weird question... why don't you guys sledge each other?? I mean if it was aussies or brits or kiwis we would be sledging the shit outa each other in the lead up to the game and then having a friendly crow when we won... you guys are all so civilised, acknowledged the others victory, do a little analysis of the game and that's it... we still do that, and we can analysis hour by hour of a 5 day test match with the cricket, but we also hang major shit on the other? So what gives?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

So... weird question... why don't you guys sledge each other?? I mean if it was aussies or brits or kiwis we would be sledging the shit outa each other in the lead up to the game and then having a friendly crow when we won... you guys are all so civilised, acknowledged the others victory, do a little analysis of the game and that's it... we still do that, and we can analysis hour by hour of a 5 day test match with the cricket, but we also hang major shit on the other? So what gives?

I have no idea what u just said? Sledge as in trash talk each other? As far as met / yanks we trash talk oh yea, fights even break out in bars. As far as being a sportsman to boo or others on here, thats just being classy. Both fans of the sport and dont forget this is a quit smoking site and we are just getting to know each other. Hes a fan like i am, you trash talk a rival. Coming into the season it was Mets with rivals Yankees(cross town) and Washington Nationals. If that helps...

• Thanks 2

Well now...this is getting exciting.  The Braves are getting offensive production from every part of the lineup.  The starting rotation is looking good with the potential to get even better.  Still some good arms in the farm league that haven't been called up yet (Kolby Allard, Max Fried, etc.).  Even the bullpen is holding their own right now.  There are always questions with a young team that is playing hot, but Braves fans are enjoying riding this wave right now.

3 hours ago, Whispers said:

Good news is degrom isnt a serious injury, the bad news. 

Great news.  Looks like deGrom may be ready to go for his next scheduled start.

Good luck this weekend against the Rockies

• Like 2

On 5/3/2018 at 7:54 PM, Boo said:

Well now...this is getting exciting.

Well now...nothing like being on the wrong side of a weekend sweep to bring everybody in Braves Country back down to earth.

1 hour ago, Whispers said:

OMG the Mets hits the.... How the hell do you go 0-6 on a home stand?

worst.gif

And now the Nationals are only two-games out of first.  The NL East is totally up for grabs.

A lot of baseball still to be played.