May 6, 20188 yr Author Isn't puddin a bit of an insult? ( @Sslip do you grandkids look at something they just dropped and shatttered in to a million piece and say "Doesn't matter, Grandad can fix that"... and then he really does... sure there are 2 million crack lines all over it but with the glue and his trusty tweezers he will get all the bits he has back together.)
May 6, 20188 yr @notsmokinjo not at all. It's used mostly in the South the same way darlin is. It's an insult in Australia?
May 6, 20188 yr Author Depends how its used and why but its D grade insult at best. For example its kinda cute if you say it about a chubby little one (toddler)... it just refers to their chubbiness... but usually it is an abreviation of Puddinghead... which is someone who is too stupid to do the simplest thing because all they have in their head is pudding.., and its a bit nastier than saying you idiot to say you puddin. I don't think I'd like to be called puddin' unless it was in an ironic way like well call red heads bluey over here. We are wierd aren't we?
May 6, 20188 yr Wow, I did not know that. I definitely won't be calling anyone from another country puddin. Who would have thought since pudding is so yummy?
May 6, 20188 yr Author don't stress too much... we (aussies) insult our mates as a sign of our friendship and respect (if ya mates don't shit stir you and call ya names ya not really good mates). Its kind of like if you did something silly me saying "Oh you duffa"... or "oh ya puddin'" but as with everything it depends on the tone and the context how mean it is... Have I mentioned we are a weird lot?
May 6, 20188 yr Pudding is all about context. Come here, give us a hug pud (pudding), then it is definitely a term of endearment and I would take it as related to being sweet. Get your arse off the couch you lazy pudding, is definitely not a term of endearment and is more about being soft, stodgy and unhealthy. Oi pudding - who the hell know? Shame writing struggles with the voice it's being said in, isn't it?
May 6, 20188 yr I've never heard of golden syrup dumplings, dumplings are for stew or of the clooty kind, what would a syrup dumpling resemble.? @notsmokinjo We don't have cold powder, oh hang on a min.. I'll ask @Sslippy cos he seems to know all about the soap powder world.. well @Sslippy, what do you know about it? Edited May 6, 20188 yr by Wee fluffy me
May 6, 20188 yr Yes dumplings are for stew, when jo said the syrup one i thought of that syrup spongey puddin thats in a tin?
May 6, 20188 yr Author Wot I dunno if I can tell you of the joys of golden syrup dumplings... I didn't realise they were a national secret ... they are like sweetened stew dumplings boiled in a pot with a watery golden syrup sauce that also buttery... you serve them steaming hot wuth cream or icecream... ...You seriously don't have them? Edited May 6, 20188 yr by notsmokinjo
May 6, 20188 yr Oh they do look good jo, sweet dumpling, no i dont think we do, do you think the americans invented that dish since it seems a bit unhealthy?
May 6, 20188 yr No way Jo, we don't have them we have the sponge cake ....Ooowww can you guess what i am going to make on my extra day off.????? Edited May 6, 20188 yr by Wee fluffy me Forgot my?? N don't want the grammar polic battering doon the door cos am still in ma jammies..???
May 6, 20188 yr Author I think it may have been us... its been in the Country Women's Association recipe book forever.... its the sort of thing you can do in a pot over an open fire.... Here is the recipe: Jo's tip... double the water and sugar for the syrup and do 4 large tablespoons of golden syrup and add 30g of butter... make the syrup first, bring it to the boil then add the dumplings and drop the heat to simmer for 20-30mins. We always make them camping, can't ya just imagine them on a frosty night around ya camp fire with some good mates? Edited May 6, 20188 yr by notsmokinjo forgot the butter.... its how my grandma made them
May 6, 20188 yr Haha yeah that's what I thought too Weegie.. Ooww that reminds me, we thinking of buying a tent and doing a camping holiday this year.. I haven't been camping since I was a teen... what's your thought peeps..??
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.