Hobbies/Projects with your extra time?

Still winning

I was just commenting about having more time since we all quit smoking and it got me to thinking.

Did anyone take up any new hobbies or projects? 

My quit journey started in earnest after taking a healing course (Reiki 1) and thanks to the extra time and money by next month I will be qualified to teach. I also took an Indian Head Massage qualification and have studied loads and loads of things. I have more time to write now so I have a group page on facebook where I do write ups about how the planetry energy will affect us and how best to use that. 

Weirdly my house is much cleaner now I don't stop at the end of each and every job to smoke haha, I can't believe I used to do that as a congratulatory thing, sounds weird now.

So what did you do with all your extra time?

• Like 2

I thought once I retire, I would spend most of my "free" time in the garage working on my 1965 Mustang Fastback...(and a '51 Ford Tudor Custom)..... However...after I retired and did a couple small "side jobs" for friends, I realized I am actually enjoying working for myself and as a bonus, I get to make twice as much money collecting my retirement AND working....so ....

My thoughts of spending time in the garage working on the old cars is on hold again....

My wife says working is my hobby...lol...I'm an electrician, and really do enjoy 90% of what I do...the other 10% I say "no" to now, since I have that option.... :p

In general, I enjoy most things more than I used to...like you, Marti...without planning on smoke breaks, I have much more time, so I tend to slow down and enjoy what I do...

Except mowing my lawn...that is a job I don't think I will ever enjoy....lol.. It's never ending...as soon as I am done, I am planning the next mowing in a couple days...it's kinda like smoking....as soon as I finish, it's not long and I think about the next time... Lol... We had 10 inches of snow fall last week-end (after some 60* days)... And have 70* forecast for this next week, so my snowblower and lawn mower has to swap places....again.... Yep...I think this time Deere season will stack around...( my yard is about 2 acres, so I have a 54" John Deere lawn tractor to help speed things up)...

I tend to get off topic...lol....in a nut shell, staying busy is my hobby. :)

• Like 2

I do get more done at work in less time without the smokebreaks.  Not to mention the inevitable "hey, how ya doin'?"  round when I came back inside.  My smokebreaks were turning into 15-20 minute excursions.

As far as new hobbies...I'm starting to get into the next phase of improving my health.  Last week I started weight lifting again, which I actually enjoy.  I need to add in some cardio work, which I'm not as excited about but recognize that the need is there.

• Like 1

I thought once I retire, I would spend most of my "free" time in the garage working on my 1965 Mustang Fastback

Isn't that the car Steve McQueen drove in Bullitt?

One word: Awesome!

mainly eating and drinking and then going on fad diets to control the fallout of eating and drinking (winter hibernation routine)  :rolleyes:

even though i am a bum and don`t work, family took up most of my emotional and mental time, not much left for me in the end

but now i`m planning stuff i have wanted to do for years, big difference between wanting and having to!

Dancing is a passion, I love Zumba! (want)

at the moment I`m trying to self teach the guitar and its not going very well but i`m starting completely from scratch, 2 days ago I did not know the difference between a note and a chord or what the heck a fret was, today I do so that`s cool - got to toughen my fingers as it hurts like billy o (want)

i`m studying to take my Ohio driving test (i`m sure I would fail a UK test now let alone an Ohio one) the terminology is half the battle (have to) 

walking shelter dogs is my give back to... hobby (want)

now the sun is coming around walking,bike riding and gardening (want)

so the wants outweigh the have to`s at the moment  B)

oh yes and I have to get a job soon, once I am allowed and I have absolutely no idea what I want to do, I figure this is heal me time so the answer will come when its good and ready or Rez sends me on the busking route  :P

when I have learned the guitar, the piano is next!

• Like 5

Being a full time carer ...doesn't leave much time for me...but...

Well done Tracey.... I have always wanted to play the banjo...like my dear Dad....

I have a vision of playing that tune in deliverance...lol....maybe one day ,who knows...

• Like 2