The First Big Hurdle

tocevoD

I'm now at day 46 of my full on quit. In the past I've done a 5 year quit but accepted I would smoke on social occasions. This quit is the end all quit. The forever quit.

I've had my times in the last 46 days where I have had small urges associated with situations where I used to smoke. Tonight I am in the major associated situation. I'm going out for a drink with friends around a music gig. This was where I would have smoked in the past.

This is the severing of it for me. I will not smoke tonight. The smell, the cost, the wheezing, the hiding away, the 46 days accomplished. None of it is worth breaking just to introduce nicotine into my system again.

I have resisted all NRT because I know the addiction is in in the nicotine and being a former smoker if I use NRT then it will always lead back to smoking. 

I will keep the strength I have built up already to ease me through tonight's final goal. I have called it the first big hurdle. In all honesty it could be called the last big hurdle.

• Like 7

You have found out yourself that having an occasional smoke doesn't work for a nicotine addict and you seem determined this time to guard your young quit so you don't make mistakes of the past. All you need to do now is put that knowledge into action and let your determination guide you through when those urges threaten to wash over you.

From the sound of your post, I think you'll be fine!

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 4