Vaping............drives me nuts!

Every day I see people striding along puffing away on these awful contraptions proudly stating "I quit xyz months ago".  I just want to shake them.  For instance my future mother in law puffs away on one and tells me I stopped smoking 9 months ago.  WTF no you haven't you are still puffing away on a substance that contains Nicotine!  I have an odd job man older fella an absolute gem, came to the house today to quote me on some work, puffing away on a vapouriser, I told him I had quit and he proudly puffs himself up and proclaims yes wellI stopped smoking a year ago, (puff puff puff)).   Ehhhh come again, then proceeds to ask my son for a cigarette as his wife is out of sight, still saying to me I quit a year ago, haven't had one of these for 5 days.  Told him he was delusional.  I think he raised my quote :(

• Like 4

If he was just using nicotine he would have in fact quit smoking though Jackie, done both myself...huge difference between smoke and vapor.

You would be right to say he is still using nicotine, so is still a nicotine user....but he's not a smoker. Although you say he asked for a ciggy so is still smoking, so is a smoker...phew..lol

Vaping is not smoking though, no matter what folk 'think'.

• Like 2

Vaping is not smoking I agree.  I think if you vape it should be used as a tool to quit not only smoking but also get off nicotine.   If the intent is to not get off nicotine, at some point, then the addiction and all that comes with it remains. In that case  I would agree that there is no benefit to switching from smoking to vaping.   Nicotine is damaging to our bodies too, not just the toxins in the smoke.

I do think it can be a valuable tool as an aid to quit smoking and have seen much success from folks doing just that.  My own brother quit that way and while he continues to vape, he is nicotine free now.  I never thought he would quit.

• Like 3

Vaping is not smoking I agree.  I think if you vape it should be used as a tool to quit not only smoking but also get off nicotine.   If the intent is to not get off nicotine, at some point, then the addiction and all that comes with it remains. In that case  I would agree that there is no benefit to switching from smoking to vaping.   Nicotine is damaging to our bodies too, not just the toxins in the smoke.

I do think it can be a valuable tool as an aid to quit smoking and have seen much success from folks doing just that.  My own brother quit that way and while he continues to vape, he is nicotine free now.  I never thought he would quit.

Nor did I Jenny, I swear I honestly still can't believe I did it, I actually only went and did it!

I too think it's a valuable tool, in the right hands with the right intent.

• Like 2

When I used one, way back when, maybe 2 or 3 years ago - it looked like, and was the size of, a cigarette... Now, when I see the size of some of these contraptions - they are enormous!

I agree Jackie, that that guy hadn't quit smoking - he was still smoking cigarettes, and sounds like he had no intention to stop, and I suspect that the ecig isn't helping him in that regard.

Then, you have people like our dear Sharon, who had a plan from day one, and absolutely smashed it!!

So, I suppose it's the users intentions, more than anything else... They can be seen as good and bad. Am I sitting on the fence enough for you?! :p

• Like 4

i am 50/50 jackie

i hate the fact kids are doing it as they see it as being trendy and I do not like to see people puffing on these things like they are candy and are probably more addicted now to nicotine than before

but i think used properly and stepping down from and off nicotine is ok 

suck on a old sock is my thinking as long as your ultimate goal is to get off nicotine and get to NOPE

• Like 5

I have quit smoking using this method. It's the best thing for me. I have tried many different times and many other ways. I have smoked cigarettes for 40 years. On May 6 2014 I quit smoking and started using an e cig. I started with 24mg nicotine and am now down to 6mg! I will go down to zero in a couple weeks. When I get to zero, I won't have any nicotine. Yes, I have quit smoking, I'm not getting all the chemicals and poisions, I don't set tobacco on fire and inhale it, I smell better, my hair now smells like shampoo not smoke, I'm not spending $80 a week by smoking almost 2 packs a day.

Smoking is smoking and nicotine does not equal smoking; it equals nicotine! Quoted from someone else, and I believe it says it all.

• Like 3

Good topic Jackie :)  This topic always brings opinions and thoughts from all sides of the spectrum and that is not a bad thing.  The more opinions people have the better able to make a decision as to what is right for them.  IMO.

• Like 4

Anyone that holds an "opinion" that denial isn't denial is clearly deluded.

Easy Peasy

If you say so Sarge, again all it is in your opinion which I can take or leave as your personal opinion makes no difference to me, in the grand scheme of things.

SuzyQ congratulations to you for quiting smoking and I am sure you'll find getting to zero nicotine quite straightforward.

• Like 1

Hmmm...I have to say, it doesn't bother me.

If someone is Vaping rather than smoking, then I believe (not 100% convinced) this is better for their health than smoking.

If their 'vape' contains nicotine then I would imagine that they remain addicted to nicotine.

If like the fella mentioned, the majority of cigarettes have been replaced by Vape, then I would suspect he is better off health wise, even if only a little. He still has the addiction battle to fight though. (Which he does seem to be in denial of though)

Some people have successfully transited from smoking to Vaping. This has undoubted health benefits. Those whom have rid themselves of nicotine addiction (like us) will undoubtedly say, "great! Now free yourself of the addiction!". I certainly find it dumbfounding if they reply that they are happy to stay Vaping. However, that is their right I guess.

Others do use Vaping as a milestone to being totally free. Not the way I chose, but it's all about the destination, not the journey.

Should Vaping be legal? Well I guess you can't make it illegal while tobacco is still on sale. However, my question to a never smoker who was Vaping would be...

"why?"

"What are the benefits?"

"What would induce you to inhale steam whose only active ingredient is nicotine which only has two useful properties? Those properties being 1. It's very effective at killing weeds. 2. It is incredibly addictive."

• Like 5

I was meaning to say too SuzyQ any questions or if you need any support just post away, been exactly where you are so can relate to how you 'might' be feeling.

Thank You Sharonsiff! That means a lot.  

• Like 1