Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Markus - 9 Years Quit

Featured Replies

Hi Quit Train...   It's been awhile, I should have checked in sooner..

.
I'm glad to say I am 9 years quit smoking today. Journey started 02-19-2008.  

It really isn't a big deal anymore, I wanted to check in and let you know I am alive. I have had thoughts of how it was with people leaving, wondering where do they go, and are they relapsed, are they okay.   I do read some of the posts once in awhile. Don't want to be a contributor anymore, too toxic for an addictive personality like mine.  

News; My dad died of cancer Dec 29th, and was laid to rest Jan 3rd with an Honor Guard at his funeral, 1st Infantry Division he was US Army retired, a first sergeant. He was 83 years old and had been quit for 30 years or so. Esophagal cancer, he lasted 2 months after diagnosis.

I knew about Beth from lurking last year when she passed, That hurt, she was all heart and soul, and quick to be friends as she was to do battle Life ain't fair GL but she died like we all will, non-smokers. I read the QT tribute thread today. Nice.  

DW is still puffing away, proof you cannot help someone else quit, one of the things I have learned on my voyage.  

Going solo is good. Free of that affliction, real pronounced sense of smell, any kind of smoke.  

Congrats to all of the long quits  = MQ, Babs, (Nicole J Diver), Coleen, Sarge, Nancy, Doreen, Sonic, Mfic, Chrispy, Traci & hubby, Jenny, Lisa, BAT, bakon, DD, Stuart, Marti, Beacon, Sonic, Evelyn, Sharonsiff, Petra,. Jimmy, Sazarec, Christobal, Joe, and anyone I may have missed...all of you going into the long years. Keep that quit.

Anyone reading this who is thinking of quitting or is shaky stay with a support group, your odds are better in being successful

 

I'll check in again, account is still active. MQ never terminated me. Send me a PM or e-mail if you want to.

MQ, thanks man for creating an alternative home away from  where a lot of us came from.

Cheers,

Markus

Wow..hello Markus...

So good to hear from you...you have been missed around here...

Huge congrats on your 9 years smoke free..what a insperation..

You were such a important part of my quit... Thank you for staying to play it forward...

My condolences to hear about your father.. 30 years quit..he sounded a special man..xxxx

Thank you for posting Markus and my condolences to you on your father's passing.

 

I'm pretty new here and have only just started my quit. Having read a lot of older posts here, I agree with you about wondering where people go and if they are still quit or if they somehow let down their guard and were lured back into smoking again.

 

It's encouraging to a newbie like myself to hear there are actually people out there that keep their long term quits because that is my only goal. Can't imagine going through all this then giving in at some weak moment in the future. It helps me to know that my long term goal is possible. I know it's up to me alone to achieve it but it's great to see that others have done it already.

 

9 years quit WOW! Congratulations Sir :D

  • Author

Thank you all.

 

A part of the quit is that point time when one finally leaves to walk

that path alone, and without support. You don't need it anymore,

you are free to walk unafraid of relapse, from the smell, the sensation,

and the insanity of associations. 

 

Only time served will allow this to happen. 

 

Just checking in...based on what I have written.

 

If and when I die from cancer if I am able, I will try to do what like jwg did,

and will let you all know I am going so you don't need to wonder.

 

Nobody gets out alive. But, lend some dignity to the rest of your life as you live it.

 

Don't ever smoke again. So simple.

 

Regards,

 

Markus

Awesome.

But when walking alone how do you make fun of someone? Best part of group is just knowing others Well past talking about smoking for most of us. Just so it to help others.

You got the grandfather quit going. Great work

  • Author

Thanks Bakon,

 

You guys ought to put your own big quits out there and celebrate them on this forum. Just an idea. 

 

That's what people are looking for, life after. It's that affirmation of years, it will help newbies see that it's survivable if they stick with it. 

 

Still wonder about those hundreds of window lickers, where did they all go? 
 

I'll be around...

Four and half

Is half of your nine. Guess I am catching up to you.

Still wonder about those hundreds of window lickers, where did they all go? 

Most of of us are still here :)

 

Congrats Marcus, 9 years is amazing.

 

5 years after smoking your risk of a subarachnoid hemorrhage has declined to 59% of your risk while still smoking (2012 study). If a female ex-smoker, your risk of developing diabetes is now that of a non-smoker (2001 study). 5 to 15 years Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.

 

10 years after smoking your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day).  Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus and pancreas have declined. Risk of developing diabetes for both men and women is now similar to that of a never-smoker (2001 study).

Hi Markus,

 

I'm newer to this forum and your message is a very powerful one!  Congratulations on 9 amazing years smoke-free!!!  I'm so glad it's not a big deal to you anymore, but I hope you never quit celebrating because what an accomplishment.

 

All of my best to you!

That is amazing and so nice that you took the time to pop back in so Thank you. :)

Hey Markus!!!!  So great to see you!  Even Greater to hear how you're rockin that quit! 

 

Put on some Mark Knopfler and celebrate in style, Buddy! :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.