Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Books

Featured Replies

Anyone read any fantastic books recently? I am still healing from surgery and am still lying around quite a bit. Would love some suggestions for a good read. I've just finished Dark Places (meh) and In the Unlikely Event. (Good)

There is not just one genre I like, if it's a good book it's a good book! I do enjoy action adventure quite a bit, I've enjoyed all of James Rollins books.

Any suggestions?

I haven't read a book in ages, but think that Ava reads about 1 a day... lol! Hopefully she will be able to help you out :)

How about "In The Heart Of The Sea: The Tragedy Of The Whaleship Essex" by Nathaniel Philbrick.

 

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex is a book by American writer Nathaniel Philbrick about the loss of the Whaleship Essex in the Pacific Ocean in 1820.

 

https://books.google.com/books?id=roXy5kT34j4C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

I am sooooo glad you asked!!

I am currently listening (you could read it of course) to Fitzgerald's 'Tender is the Night.' I loved this book, but it's been a long time.

Open reading challenge to anyone that wants in-MQ already agreed...then we'll all have a good gossip about the Diver family :-D

How about "In The Heart Of The Sea: The Tragedy Of The Whaleship Essex" by Nathaniel Philbrick.

 

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex is a book by American writer Nathaniel Philbrick about the loss of the Whaleship Essex in the Pacific Ocean in 1820.

 

https://books.google.com/books?id=roXy5kT34j4C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sounds... errr. Interesting. :-/

Reading "The Help"

Didn't read it back when it was popular - quite enjoyable.  Like a dessert.  

  • Author

Reading "The Help"

Didn't read it back when it was popular - quite enjoyable.  Like a dessert.

 

That was a great book. A book in the same vein is The Invention of Wings. That one made me cry!

Oh crap.  Can you extend it a couple of days?  :read:

What?! I already started.

HOWEVER I have to beta read 2 books here in the upcoming days (yes, I'm kind of a big deal), so it's going to put me behind in this challenge. You're good!

What?! I already started.

HOWEVER I have to beta read 2 books here in the upcoming days (yes, I'm kind of a big deal), so it's going to put me behind in this challenge. You're good!

Remember, you can only read one "beta" book at a time because if you read them together, they'll fight and one will die.  :good3:

Remember, you can only read one "beta" book at a time because if you read them together, they'll fight and one will die.  :good3:

Don't be jealous MQ. You gotta know how to schmooze these authors. It may take months or years, but eventually you get a 3.99 book free of charge like a week earlier than the rest of the world. In exchange for looking for typos, anything that doesn't make sense, and writing a review.

 

It's a lot to be jealous of.

You should read the book "One Day", it'll pull you right in. The movie didn't do it any justice at all.

You should read the book "One Day", it'll pull you right in. The movie didn't do it any justice at all.

It's funny you should bring this movie up, I very rarely watch movies, and when I do it's even rarer that it's a romance type. Anyway, I found this on Netflix and gave it a shot. I thought it was amazing. Sobbed right on through the second half of it. Now you are making me want to read the book!

Haha you sook. I honestly don't wanna be like one of those people who's like "oh yeah the book's way better than the movie, man." But honestly this book had so many intimate details and interesting scenarios that you couldn't replicate or fit into a script and I was just really let down by the screen adaptation.  I'm not even much of a book person but this one I couldn't put down.  If you decide to read it, let me know.  I'll even post you my copy if you want since it's just collecting dust on my girlfriend's bedside table. She's even less of a book person.  :lol:

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.