Are you scared to quit smoking?

Colleen

I was scared too.  Thought I had this super addictive personality and all those who had successfully quit before me weren't really addicted to smoking.  Shortly after you quit, you are going to figure it out, but I'll let you in on the secret now...it's a bunch of baloney.  Nobody is more addicted to smoking than anyone else.  It's the monster otherwise known as nicotine playing tricks on you, kick his ass to the curb because once you let go of that illusion everything seems to fall into place.  

Remember sticking your toe in the pool and thinking it's much too cold to swim in?  Do you also remember once you jumped in (or were pushed in) you realized it wasn't that bad at all?  That is exactly what quitting smoking is like.  It's 10 times more easier than you thought it was.  Okay, so it's not always rainbows and unicorns, but it's nowhere as bad as you think it is.  Trust me, this is coming from someone that couldn't go 3 hours without a cigarette.  Or trust my ticker, it doesn't lie  ;)

• Like 6

Isn't it funny but so sad what we all totally believed in as smokers, everyone has their ties to their cigs & the forever/never again sounds like the end of the world on day one BUT 6 months later you realize what a doofus you were. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Isn't it funny but so sad what we all totally believed in as smokers, everyone has their ties to their cigs & the forever/never again sounds like the end of the world on day one BUT 6 months later you realize what a doofus you were. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wait -wut?

Nobody told Ol' Sarge that The Doofus goes away.

He's even more of a Doofus now, right.

Easy Peasy

• Like 2

Wait -wut?

Nobody told Ol' Sarge that The Doofus goes away.

He's even more of a Doofus now, right.

Easy Peasy

Love you, Sarge...once a Doofus, always a doofus..I am living proof...

• Like 2

I'm more scared of what continuing to smoke will do. I may be overly paranoid, but I feel I was definitely developing a smoker's cough. One that would have compounded had I not decided to quit. I've got a long road ahead of me, but day 5 is already here. If I can sit inside a hospital with my daughter and quit smoking, then anybody should be able to put them down!

• Like 3

I'm more scared of what continuing to smoke will do. I may be overly paranoid, but I feel I was definitely developing a smoker's cough. One that would have compounded had I not decided to quit. I've got a long road ahead of me, but day 5 is already here. If I can sit inside a hospital with my daughter and quit smoking, then anybody should be able to put them down!

I had that smokers cough for a couple years, it eventually led to something else nobody wants.  Fortunately, I nipped it in the bud I think by quitting and strengthening my lungs.  I would tell people, oh don't worry, I won't get you sick it's just allergies.  I wasn't fooling anyone.  

Congrats on Day 5!  Hell week is almost over, much of the same only less intense.  It does get easier and quicker than you think :)