Junkie Thinking

The way I see it...

If nobody cared less TIFF whether you smoked or not...they wouldn't bother even writing one word to you..

What i DO see is folks trying to help you along..OK ..sometimes we don't always see eye to eye...but its help never the less...

Don't stay away...this is old patterns..

Coming here and staying quit..that proof enough you want it..no matter what..x

Tiffany I do hope you call out, on here, if you have a day where it feels a struggle. Remember not everyone thinks you have to have the addict label, before you can have a successful quit..I'm living proof that theory is tosh.

All you have to do is what you're doing, not smoking, so you're no longer a smoker anymore...twenty two days you've been doing that..rinse and repeat.

I will do whatever it takes to not smoke.   I actually think I am coming through the curve now.  I'm having good days where I'm not thinking about it much.  

And should I have a bad one and I REALLY think I'm fixing to take that horrid plunge...... I will come on here.  

I probably shouldn't have said that this morning.  It just kinda took me off guard.  

The way I see it...

If nobody cared less TIFF whether you smoked or not...they wouldn't bother even writing one word to you..

What i DO see is folks trying to help you along..OK ..sometimes we don't always see eye to eye...but its help never the less...

Don't stay away...this is old patterns..

Coming here and staying quit..that proof enough you want it..no matter what..x

I know y'all do. And I am very thankful for all the help I have received.  I have often thought of things said now and in past quits.  And for whatever reason..... maybe cause I am ready...... I am finally hearing y'all.  

I feel bad that I said that.  I'm so sorry.  I do appreciate it very much.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/2/2014 at 4:19 AM, MarylandQuitter said:

What are some other excuses to smoke?

Excuses to smoke

JUNKIE THINKING: “One Puff won’t hurt”

RESPONSE: “One puff will always hurt me, and it always will because I’m not a social smoker. One puff and I’ll be smoking compulsively again.”

JUNKIE THINKING: “I only want one.”

RESPONSE: “I have never wanted only one. In fact, I want 20-30 a day every day. I want them all.”

JUNKIE THINKING: “I’ll just be a social smoker.”

RESPONSE: “I’m a chronic, compulsive smoker, and once I smoke one I’ll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social smokers can take it or leave it. That’s not me.”

JUNKIE THINKING: “I’m doing so well, one won’t hurt me now.”

RESPONSE: “The only reason I’m doing so well is because I haven’t taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won’t be doing well anymore. I’ll be smoking again.”

JUNKIE THINKING: “I’ll just stop again.”

RESPONSE: “Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it too me to stop this time. And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I’m back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I’ll ever be able to stop again?”

JUNKIE THINKING: “If I slip, I’ll keep trying.”

RESPONSE: “If I think I can get away with one little “slip” now I’ll think I can get away with another little “slip” later on.”

JUNKIE THINKING: “I need one to get me through this withdrawal.”

RESPONSE: “Smoking will not get me through the discomfort of not smoking. I will only get me back to smoking. One puff stops the process of withdrawal and I’ll have to go through it all over again.”

JUNKIE THINKING: “I miss smoking right now.”

RESPONSE: “Of course I miss something I’ve been doing every day for most of my life. Bud do I miss the chest pain right now? Do I miss the worry, the embarrassment? I’d rather be an ex-smoker with an occasional desire to smoke, than a smoker with a constant desire to stop doing it.”

JUNKIE THINKING: “I really need to smoke now, I’m so upset.”

RESPONSE: “Smoking is not going to fix anything. I’ll still be upset, I’ll just be an upset smoker. I never have to have a cigarette. Smoking is not a need; it’s a want. Once the crisis is over, I’ll be relieved and grateful I’m still not smoking.”

JUNKIE THINKING: “I don’t care.”

RESPONSE: “What is it exactly that I think that I don’t care about? Can I truthfully say I don’t care about chest pain? I don’t care about gagging in the morning? I don’t care about lung cancer? No, I care about these things very much. That’s why I stopped smoking in the first place.”

JUNKIE THINKING: “What difference does it make, anyway?”

RESPONSE: “It makes a difference in the way I breathe, the way my heart beats, the way I feel about myself. It makes a tremendous difference in every aspect of my physical and emotional health.”

http://www.quitsmokinghelp.ca/mustread/junkiethinking.html

This whole thread is interesting,

how we face reality and admit that we are nicotine addicts.

For some, this admission is more difficult than for others.

I was in complete denial about addiction for the 40 something years of smoking.

It was only just before I quit that I flirted with calling myself a junkie.

'I'm going outside to shoot up', I would say as a quasi joke but, Deep Down, I knew.

After I quit and educated myself here and there, denial was visible and ridiculous.

Another post that addresses our 'junkie thinking'

Red Flags.

• Like 1

Dishonesty is the #1 impediment to success in quitting. 
Every one of those Junkie Thoughts is dishonest. Most rising to the level of Outright Lies. 
First and foremost under the Dishonesty Banner for most folks? Denial. 
We all know the facts here. 
We knew them all along. 
We chose willful Denial. 

Sarge is wagering that she never successfully quit. 

EZPZ

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...