Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

JH Rule #1: What is the absolute best exercise (I can tell you)

Featured Replies

Having some tough cravings this morning, so I thought I'd get on here to distract myself and talk about my favorite topic: Exercise.Many people wonder what to start with, should they join a gym, what's appropriate for their age, etc.
You are blessed to have my wisdom here, as I would argue that I know what the single best exercise for everyone is regardless of age, condition, or ability.
It's my rule #1 when it comes to exercise.

 

Exercise Rule #1:  The #1 best exercise for everyone is "the one they either like enough, or dislike so little, that they keep doing it". 

 

Any exercise that you are unwilling to keep doing will provide no benefit no matter how well planned or applicable it is for your needs.

For years I would lift wts in a gym 3-4 months a year, get burnt out, then do nothing for about 9 months.  I once liked working out in a gym, but it no longer appealed to me.  So I kept quitting and restarting.  What finally got me exercising consistently was to find something I enjoyed (and I now haven't missed a day of exercise in 3.5yrs).  For me, that meant doing my workouts in the woods on a trail where I jog, do body wt exercises, lift and flip logs, throw large rocks, etc (and imagine I'm some kind of 60yr old Spartan).  The point is, if you find something you like, you are much more likely to do it consistently. And consistency is the most important requirement of any exercise plan. If you are doing something you dread doing, you need to look for something else or you will eventually quit.

Edited by JustinHoot99

"exercise" sucks but i'm always up for adventure & playing outside

Sometimes that just happens to involve physical activity

 

  • Author
2 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Well said ....

I actually feel crap now ..if I don't do my daily walk ...😁

tenor.gif

Thats exactly what I look like when I hike through the woods and exercise.

54 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Well said ....

I actually feel crap now ..if I don't do my daily walk ...😁

tenor.gif

 

Slow down Doreen.  I'm doing Farmer's Walks.

image.png.5657aca912d78e29bba69af7c9782895.png

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.