June 1, 201412 yr I got to wondering about that the other day... When babs and I both still smoked, we'd occasionally go to the casino and gamble a little... well, maybe not so little. Babs and I were the most addicted gamblers you could find... my other daughters would bring their own cars if they wanted to join us, just so that they could go home whenever they were ready, because they knew babs and I would outlast them by hours... LOL Anyway, babs and I just couldn't bring ourselves to leave the casino until we were dead broke, and often overdrawn on our gambling "allowance", and it was so late in the night that we practically fell off our stools in front of the slot machine. Of course most times we were disgusted with ourselves, having thrown all of that money into the wind... or rather, into the machine... LOL. We stunk like cigarette smoke, we spent next week's grocery money (but never, interestingly enough, next week's cigarette money... hmmmm....), and we were tired and bleary-eyed the next day. So... we haven't gone to the casino in ages. I know I haven't been since I quit smoking, because a) there just never was an occasion or time for it, and b) I didn't want to spend the money, now that I was saving money by not smoking, and c) I was afraid that gambling would lead me back to smoking, (like drinking does for others). Last Sunday, my husband went to Harrah's Philadelphia Racetrack and Casino to race one of the horses he trained. It was a beautiful day, I didn't feel like sitting at home, so I thought oh well, I'll take a ride down with him. While he was in the paddock racing his horse, I had about 4 hours to kill, so of course I went to the casino. I couldn't believe how downright EASY it was to walk away from the slot machines. Sure I gambled some, but I also went outside, watched some of the races, sat in the sun, got something to eat... a nice day out. I enjoyed myself more than EVER before... because I wasn't a slave anymore, but a free woman.
June 1, 201412 yr This is an awesome testimony to the never ending benefits of quitting! Addiction seems to breed addiction for sure.
June 1, 201412 yr Thanks for sharing Christa, over time we will probably find alot of things we used to do while smoking or associated with our smoking we will either no longer do or enjoy even more, I often go out with friends for a meal and find its nicer now as Im not rushing out in between courses for a quick puff, coming in conscious that I stank of smoke, trying to speak while holding my breath! now thats a feat lol, I no longer drink now also, I stopped drinking a good 6 months before I stopped smoking as when out I smoked so much more yuck, Little things but it makes all the difference to our lives.
June 1, 201412 yr Quitting smoking proves to ourselves that we can overcome an addiction. The biggest obstacle to breaking any bad habit is thinking that we can't.
June 1, 201412 yr once you quit smoking - anything is possible - anything :) new found confidence and freedom melts into the other areas of your life all change for the good as you want what is best for yourself :) so glad things have improved for you and your family christa - you all deserve to be happy :)
June 1, 201412 yr Good for you. I think we've rewirded our brains since we quit. I used to hate to get rid if stuff, now I get rid of almost anything... I just feel like I can do whatever the heck I want - it's my choice ;)
June 1, 201412 yr I have only been to the casino once since I quit, I didn't go a lot before but maybe 4-5/year. And then I was only there to meet some family to eat there, so I spent $20 after on slots and played for like 20 min. Which in a casino is not bad BUT what else would we pay a dollar a minute for? So not worth it. I think quitting smoking just breeds other positive changes. A lot of ex smokers are runners. Or just are physically active on a regular basis. We are just so friggin happy we are able to do it.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.