Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Desperate Addict's Parade

Featured Replies

Here is a great thread from WhyQuit in which nicotine addicts tell of the crazy things they did to indulge their addiction.

Desperate Addict's Parade

 

We have some of our own stories on this thread

Spoiled Brats/Nicotine Addicts

 

We all have our similar yet unique stories, lets hear them !

 

My most memorable was after 9 months of abstinence from smoking, 

home birth, healthy baby...I was alive...to my midwives I said, ' Great...now I need a smoke' and one of them gave me a camel straight.

 

I would collect my old snipes and roll them into a smoke, move refrigerators to find dog ends.

Nothing was keeping me from nicotine and I was completely shameless about it.  I didn't care.

 

Now, I don't understand how I kept the denial of my addiction intact for all those years...

I shudder now to think of the times I dug through the trash and/or dirty ashtrays to find smokeable butts. I would also steal cigarettes from my in-laws, who live upstairs, and sneak out behind the garage to smoke them. (This was, of course, when I was trying to hide my habit.)

 

I once tossed a mostly-full pack of smokes out of my car window when I decided to quit. (I know, littering is bad.) But in a moment of weakness, I drove back to that site and pulled over, searching the embankments on both sides of the road for my pack! (Why I didn't just go straight out and buy a new pack I'll never know.)

 

I did stupid things to feed my habit.

I remember chain smoking at airports before I got on the plane for a four hour flight while hubby stood outside waiting for his addict to get her fix 😞

Some of the crazy addict stuff I did....

 

1. Stole cigs from my parents when I ran out of my own - mind you, they both smoked Pall Mall Red (no filter). Oooh...can't say how many times I ripped the skin off my lower lip after taking a drag!!! Those cigs were harsh!

 

2. I only used to smoke a cig half-way and then stub it out....so  when I didn't have any...the hunt was on for those 1/2 smoked stubbies...ugh!

 

3. Going out in the middle of the night in a blinding snowstorm to nearest 7-11 to buy a pack!

 

4.  Smoking 3 or 4 in a row when at airports between flights...when the security rules changed and you had to go outside the airport to smoke...almost missing connecting flights because of this damned addiction! Planning flights to airports that still had smoking lounges ...even thought it took me way out of my way!!

 

5. I am a scuba diver and after every dive spent the dive interval time sitting on the boat or a beach and lighting up!!! Crazy, I know!

 

6. I flew from NYC to Copenhagen once and it felt like torture .....would I have to give up dreams of going to Australia, New Zealand, Alaska and Hawaii?? At the time, I thought so...

 

So happy that I am smoke-free now....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.