Educational video on nicotine and the brain

MLMR

Great video. Definitely didn't pick up everything but I will be watching again.

As far as I get it: There's different types of nicotine receptors, all binding to nicotine but all different properties and all giving off different signals. Some for learning, some for fight or flight response, another one that allows your heart rate to come up. They are widespread through the brain and are  affecting many behaviours. Gives me a clue as to why I unconciously perceived it as a wonderdrug.

Watch, to understand how the different nicotine receptors are hijacked by smoking.

Oh and... tar is not just an unfortunate byproduct of cigarettes, it's actually a feature of the drug delivery device: it carries nicotine to the lungs,  so it can reach the brain rapidly.  Very important aspect of this addiction. Yuck. 

Edited by MLMR
  • Thanks 6

Yes, we were having a conversation yesterday and I told her I was still educating myself as much as possible, checking out this lecture and that etc., she was the one to suggest Id post it here because of the educational value. You were right, she loved it ;)

('Nerdy and good' ;) )

• Like 4

But it wasn't too Nerdy... anyone could follow it and breaking it down to science makes it easier to understand the hold it has on us and why it still effects us when its cleared our systems.... understanding that makes beating it so much easier. Strips it of its power. I'm still learning... but I'm better for it. My little old wannabe Irish grandma used to tell me that if I didn't learn one new thing a day I had wasted 24 hours.

• Like 5

Thanks @MLMR for finding this and posting.  It is a great find !

You are right, @notsmokinjo, it is right up my alley.  Just nerdy enough.

@c9jane29, you brought up a great point I learned in the vid. 

I remember well believing the lie , "I'll have a smoke and calm down and have a think"

which only raised my heart rate, messed up circulation and brain function.

• Like 2

Brilliant video..

Thank you ML for finding and posting...it's always good to see and be reminded of how insidious smoking is ...

And to see something new...well done ...

I remember reading something in Allen Carr the Easy Way.

If pure nicotine was injected in to your body...you would die instantly.... That scarred the crap out of me....

• Like 1

• 9 months later...