Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Educational video on nicotine and the brain

Featured Replies

Great video. Definitely didn't pick up everything but I will be watching again.

As far as I get it: There's different types of nicotine receptors, all binding to nicotine but all different properties and all giving off different signals. Some for learning, some for fight or flight response, another one that allows your heart rate to come up. They are widespread through the brain and are  affecting many behaviours. Gives me a clue as to why I unconciously perceived it as a wonderdrug.

Watch, to understand how the different nicotine receptors are hijacked by smoking.

Oh and... tar is not just an unfortunate byproduct of cigarettes, it's actually a feature of the drug delivery device: it carries nicotine to the lungs,  so it can reach the brain rapidly.  Very important aspect of this addiction. Yuck. 

 





 

Edited by MLMR

  • Author

Yes, we were having a conversation yesterday and I told her I was still educating myself as much as possible, checking out this lecture and that etc., she was the one to suggest Id post it here because of the educational value. You were right, she loved it ;)

 

('Nerdy and good' ;) )

 

 

But it wasn't too Nerdy... anyone could follow it and breaking it down to science makes it easier to understand the hold it has on us and why it still effects us when its cleared our systems.... understanding that makes beating it so much easier. Strips it of its power. I'm still learning... but I'm better for it. My little old wannabe Irish grandma used to tell me that if I didn't learn one new thing a day I had wasted 24 hours.

Yep, that's also why smokers think they can "tell" a cigerette how they want to "feel" and it gives them the desired effect.

 

Edited by c9jane29

Thanks @MLMR for finding this and posting.  It is a great find !

 

You are right, @notsmokinjo, it is right up my alley.  Just nerdy enough.

 

@c9jane29, you brought up a great point I learned in the vid. 

I remember well believing the lie , "I'll have a smoke and calm down and have a think"

which only raised my heart rate, messed up circulation and brain function.

 

 

 

Brilliant video..

Thank you ML for finding and posting...it's always good to see and be reminded of how insidious smoking is ...

And to see something new...well done ...

I remember reading something in Allen Carr the Easy Way.

If pure nicotine was injected in to your body...you would die instantly.... That scarred the crap out of me....

  • 9 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.