Just Sayin !!!!!

Doreensfree

I'm back!

Spent a few days in North Carolina.  My initial plans were blown up, but I ended up having a really good time anyway.  Initially we planned on hiking from Fontana Lake up to Newfound Gap stopping along the way to fish and camp.  As I'm prone to do, I spent time studying topo maps and charting mileages.  Then, without going into excruciatingly boring details, everything that could go wrong did.

Due to late cancellations, we were able to rent a cabin in Cataloochee for a few days.  Great views from the back porch and a big fireplace that was a nice touch considering the cold weather.  Still managed to get in thirty-one miles of hiking, all loops and out-and-backs.  Caught some trout, nothing huge but future champions for sure.  And for only the second time in my life, I tried snow skiing.  That was a humbling experience.  My girlfriend has considerably more experience skiing than I do.  So I knew she would be able to ski circles around me.  Then those damn little kids on a hill called "over easy" started flying past me...that was a real kick in the pride.

It's good to unplug for a while, but it's good to be back on the Train.

• Like 3

391500.gif

Welcome home...

A big adventure !!!!....you managed to cram in heaps of stuff...a fisherman's tale maybe ????....

It is good to clear the cobwebs away....

The guys have missed you in the numbers game..they have took a good thrashing...poor sticks...x

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Welcome home...

A big adventure !!!!....you managed to cram in heaps of stuff...a fisherman's tale maybe ????....

Three hikes, a bit of fishing, and one afternoon flailing around on skis.  I suppose I could do better with the whole rest and relaxation thing, but where's the fun in that?  I can sit around and do nothing at home.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, reciprocity said:

If you really wanted to hurt yourself on snow, you should have tried snowboarding :51_scream:

I tried it once cuz the kids make it look easy. Think I broke my bum several times :55_frowning:

I had my Joe Dirt moment out there: "Owww, I broke my assbone!"

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 4:29 AM, Doreensfree said:

You OK buddy !!!

Present and accounted for.  Call off the search party.

I've had some things on my mind the last few days and have been more than a little irritable.  When I get this way, it's best that I just step back for a bit.  I'm not a fan of drama.  Shooting from the hip when I'm in a bad mood typically leads to drama so I avoid that.  And yes, I'm fully aware of the conventional wisdom that states if something is weighing on your mind you need to talk about it with others.  I tried that once...hated every second of it.

So, if you need me for anything I'll be up in the mountains running.  These last few days have been great for racking up the trail miles.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

We could go canoeing.... And get wet....

That's a good idea.  After three straight days of running, I've got dead legs today.  Could go for a leisurely paddle though...break out the C-2 and head over to the river gorge.

Alright, you talked me into it!

• Haha 1