Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Featured Replies

Not sure if this is the right group. Heavy smoker looking for friends to share experiences and tips.

1 hour ago, snowghost said:

Not sure if this is the right group. Heavy smoker looking for friends to share experiences and tips.

I'm here, in the same sinking boat as you but giving it all before my health declines. It's a slow and frustrating experience. What's on your mind? What have you tried? They can help here for sure. 😀

On the patch weaning down from 3 Dutch Master cigars to zero eventually. Not sure if this is good advice but it worked for me last time and I quit for 6 years! One bad mistake and I was back again. I know all the lies and cheats. It takes all you have, especially have smoked for over 40 years!

  • Author

I just can't see putting down the cigarettes and just say don't pick up. I've been smoking 25 years, and severe panic attacks. I've been reading everything I can here. The patch really help? How many mg?

1 minute ago, snowghost said:

I just can't see putting down the cigarettes and just say don't pick up. I've been smoking 25 years, and severe panic attacks. I've been reading everything I can here. The patch really help? How many mg?

Starting on step 1 I'm afraid. I have the same problems. Anxiety issues and Depression controlled by meds. Last time I weaned down, and you have to believe the patch will alleviate the cravings. Stay busy also away from those cancer sticks. It's the hardest thing for me to quit, a second time. First time was 6 years, Stupid me. All it took was one cigar and I was hooked again. You almost have to be locked in a facility if you know what I mean. They don't let you smoke in a ward. ☹️ They slap a patch on you and your own your own. It was tough but I did it last time not by choice. Hope I was of some help.

  • Author

I'm just happy someone responded, other people have too! This is my third site, the other ones were old posts, text only or just didn't plain work. oh, and I typed that wrong, 50 years smoking.

Edited by snowghost
spelling

Hi @snowghost. Welcome to the Quit Train! This is a great forum to get info and encouragement to help you quit.

We’ve all been where you are… sick beyond sick of smoking but compelled to continue and afraid of how awful we think quitting will be. That’s how addiction works. But it CAN be beaten!

Cold turkey, nicotine replacement, Rx meds - they all work if you’re serious about breaking free. I smoked for ~45 years and used patches and lozenges for the first few weeks, to fortify my quit and help me through the early days. Start at the highest dosage patch (unless you have a health condition). Dermal absorption works fine, but is less potent than delivery via smoking.

Be wary of “weaning”… it will likely make your cravings worse, as weaning puts you in a more or less permanent state if nicotine depletion.

Good luck to you! Hope you decide to take the plunge soon. Life gets SO MUCH better on the other side….

Hi @snowghost , I have smoked for ~45 years. Never did a serious attempt to quit as I was afraid for never been able to smoke. Always had thoughts about the good ones: after waking up, after a meal, after a task completed. Never thought about the ones that make me feel nauseas, gave me a headache, etc.

I quit almost 11 months ago, cold turkey , after I educated myself about nicotine addiction.

The first two weeks are no fun, but very doable. Stay active. Keep your mind busy, distraction from 'I want one'.

Then it is a short period of mwah. After that you will notice that cravings are becoming less and less and are not intense anymore.

I still have cravings sometimes at this point in my quit but I know what it is and can move my shoulders.

Step on the quit train!

@snowghost I was smoking for 40 years and then I quit using Chantix which helped me tremendously because it made me forget to smoke. BUT, after 6 years of being quit, (2009-2015), I went back to smoking, unfortunately. I really really believe that if I had found this site back then, I would have never gone back to smoking. So, fast forward to the Spring of 2023 when I tried to quit again, and I used the "weaning method" for about a month. Well, let me tell you, it DOES NOT WORK, SO DO NOT CONSIDER THAT METHOD!! If you do it, you will be in perpetual withdrawal, like I was for a few weeks and went off the wall!!

You have to take the plunge, and just go cold turkey!! Yes it was very difficult, but not as difficult as weaning. I am telling you, the members here talking me out of the weaning method was a Godsend! Just take the plunge, the longer you go without cigs, you will get past it!! I am so seriious!! Just Do It!!!99_muscle

Agree that weaning is not the way to go because sooner or later you're gonna be right back to your nomal smoking routine. It happens EVERY TIME!

I smoked for 45 years and I used the patch when |I first started my quit. I forgot to put the patch on day 2 or 3 and went cold turkey from there. It wasn't easy but for me, that worked. I cam close to lighting up a few times in my early quit days but I simply refused to allow by addiction to sweet talk me into "just one". Quitting is not sticking a toe in the water to see how it feels. It's making an unbreakable committment to yourself NOT TO SMOKE NO MATTER WHAT! That's what works for all of us. There's no magic tricks or short cuts. It's committment & follow through!

Hello and welcome

You have to make a decision and stick to it

no matter what

Do you want to be a smoker or not ?

I bet you haven’t read every thing here , That would take a long time , this place is full of information .

I was a 52 year smoker , yes it was hard at the beginning.. but I wanted to be quit

More than I wanted to smoke

You guys are no different to the hundreds Thst have been here and successfully quit

It’s all in the attitude and approach 🐸

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.