Wheat free?

Beth

scottpa would be your best bet here I know he cooks a lot of his own stuff and bakes wheat free, if you go through some of his old posts here you will stumble on some recipes and ideas

good luck, I know it can be a mind field to navigate but once you are in the swing of it, it will be good :)

• Like 1

scottpa would be your best bet here I know he cooks a lot of his own stuff and bakes wheat free, if you go through some of his old posts here you will stumble on some recipes and ideas

good luck, I know it can be a mind field to navigate but once you are in the swing of it, it will be good :)

Lol, I was going to suggest Scottinpa! He's amazing Beth. He'll be able to help for sure. :) 

Is any one on a wheat free diet?

I am trying to cut wheat out of my diet but struggle a little as it seems so many foods have wheat in them. Also any wheat free recipees will be greatly appreciated :)

Nope, but I just wanted to say 'Hi' :)

Thanks everyone :) I will start stalking Scottinpa's old posts :)

Hi Action and everyone else :)

Have not worked out the quote thing yet - it's on my list of things to do. Plus I am replying from my iPhone and holding a very cute puppy :)

The reason for wheat free is because there may be a link between wheat, depression and panic disorder and I want to see if taking wheat out of my diet helps. :)

• Like 1

Hmmm.... 

Well thanks to both Tracey and Leanna for thinking of me. Cheers!!!

Yes I am gluten intolerant and that does mean no wheat.  I dont know how wheat will affect depression etc.. but I can share some of what I have learned if it helps about how to cook without it.

I think it would be better if you asked more specific questions about what you are trying to cook and we can start there.... 

For right now though... I really just wanted to say welcome to the QT Beth!!!  You have come to a great place..  

If I am calculating it correctly you are now about 5 months quit... so congratulations and we are all looking forward to getting to know you better!!!

Hmmm.... 

Well thanks to both Tracey and Leanna for thinking of me. Cheers!!!

Yes I am gluten intolerant and that does mean no wheat.  I dont know how wheat will affect depression etc.. but I can share some of what I have learned if it helps about how to cook without it.

I think it would be better if you asked more specific questions about what you are trying to cook and we can start there.... 

For right now though... I really just wanted to say welcome to the QT Beth!!!  You have come to a great place..  

If I am calculating it correctly you are now about 5 months quit... so congratulations and we are all looking forward to getting to know you better!!!

Thanks Scott, I was just looking for any ideas as cutting wheat out completely is difficult as its in so many things eg sauces. I feel wheat free is helping me quite a lot but I am over eating rice :)

I have found a recipe that uses cooked quinoa mixed with egg and shallow fried to make patties that can be used in place of bread. I have the quinoa cooking now so I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for the welcome. I quit march 2013 so I have been quit for some time. :) 

Yeah, I'm off wheat as part of my new heart attack diet - I call it a Paleo/Mampire diet. Other than some oatmeal I'm grain free. Kicking wheat at the same time as kicking all sugar was a three day block of time damn near as tough as kicking the smoking. I feel a lot better all around once you discount the cardic recovery bit, though. A doughnut is a cigarete is a fried cheeze doodle.

Grain and sugar free

Yeah, I'm off wheat as part of my new heart attack diet - I call it a Paleo/Mampire diet. Other than some oatmeal I'm grain free. Kicking wheat at the same time as kicking all sugar was a three day block of time damn near as tough as kicking the smoking. I feel a lot better all around once you discount the cardic recovery bit, though. A doughnut is a cigarete is a fried cheeze doodle.

I bet it was difficult! I am struggling just cutting wheat out of my diet! 

Glad you feel better :) Keep up the good work:)

@ Beth... how did those  patties work out???

I am a fan of quinoa.. but to date really don't do a good job cooking it at home.. its on my list of things to work on.

Over eating rice? If it is brown rice... it is not so bad.....

As far as sauces with gluten in them, it is the flour they use for thickeners.  There are lots of flours out there.  If I am going to use flour to thicken or  to make a rue, I usually use tapioca flour or millet flour, these two flours I also use when breading something or when making chicken fried steak.

I use gluten free all purpose flour and brown rice flour (or a combination of) when baking pie crusts or crackers.. or making different casseroles that call for flour.

I use potato starch instead of corn starch.

And I also use guar gum to thicken that little extra, especially when I make mayo, at the end just a little of guar gum and the mayo is perfect texture. I should note that you only use very small amounts of guar gum... you can literally turn water into jelly with this stuff.

there is not any gluten free bread that actually has a good texture. the best I have come up with are rolls that are made with cheddar cheese (or other cheese).. they are actually pretty good.

NOTE: ( yes I actually make crackers... its the only way to get a decent cracker that I can eat..)

There is so much to talk about on this subject... I could go on forever.... I dont wanna hijack your thread... lol

The patties are yummy, I used them as a bread substitute and made salad sandwiches from them :)

I always eat brown rice because I prefer it but I have just had so much lately :/ 

I love your ideas Scott, I had no idea brown rice flour was even available! I will be getting my self some.

Thank you so much for all your ideas, now that I know about brown rice flour I am going to try making my own crackers :) :)

I will be on the look out for guar gum also.

Feel free to hijack my post, the more ideas the better :)

please share the actual recipe for these quinoa patties... 

sounds like another winner....

FYI... I have never used brown rice flower on its own... always as a combination with another all purpose  non gluten flour...  not sure why but all the recipes seem to follow that guideline...

PS.. be careful with the guar gum... you will be surprised at how little it takes!!

The quinoa patties are really easy, just add cooked quinoa and mix with egg then spoon in to a pan with some coconut oil and cook as you would cook a small pan cake turning once to cook both sides :) You can do half quinoa and half rice if you like also.

• 2 weeks later...

So... a week or so ago somebody was talking about pumpkin hummus. So I told them I would attempt to make it and bring in samples. Well it turned out really good, but instead of buying pumpkin puree I cooked down a 11 lb pumpkin. So I ended up with about 3 quarts of puree. Some of this I froze in 2 cup bags, but I also tried making pumpkin custard, never did it before and although I found it to sweet and spicy, everybody that tried it said it was really good. So much for my taste buds.. lol

Yesterday I was working on yet another lasagna ( that I will save for another topic ) and I realized that the plantains were going ripe much quicker than normal. I decided to use them up and made Plantain Custard.  Sounds odd but they get a banana like flavor as they ripen, so I figured it was worth a shot, better than just throwing them away.

So below is a pic of what I ended up with, these are just out of the oven and still in the water bath.  I decided last minute to add coconut flakes to the mix. This added a nice background flavor to the custard, problem was that it gave what should have been  a smooth custard sort of a grainy texture. It still tasted really good, but if i did it again I would puree the hec out of the coconut or just use some coconut extract.

20141009_145113.jpg