Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

There was a 4.8 earthquake in the NYC area!!!

Featured Replies

  • Author

@DoreensfreeThanks everything is ok here.  Thankfully no damage but I was never so scared in my life.  The shaking must have lasted about 10 seconds and it sounded like a train was going through the house, like a very loud rumbling sound.  Absolutely frightening!!  I was watching the news and the epicenter is about 70 miles west of here in New Jersey.   The people were saying how things were falling off their walls and shelves but thankfully no damage to houses or buildings.  The geologists on the news were saying how we can get aftershocks!! I experienced another earthquake in my area about 10 years ago but it was nothing like the one today. You might even see it on your news.

oh wow...i saw a guy on youtube a couple days ago saying he was expecting an east coast quake of about mag. 5 within the next week or so.  glad you are all ok QT.

That's unnerving when something like that comes out of nowhere! Glad you & your stuff are OK.

I got notification through one of my online news feeds about it. You certainly don't expect earthquakes on the east coast usually; west coast for sure but not NYC/N.J.

 

  • Author
55 minutes ago, intoxicated yoda said:

oh wow...i saw a guy on youtube a couple days ago saying he was expecting an east coast quake of about mag. 5 within the next week or so.  glad you are all ok QT.

Really?  He predicted it?  Wow, who is this person?

  • Author
41 minutes ago, Reciprocity said:

That's unnerving when something like that comes out of nowhere! Glad you & your stuff are OK.

I got notification through one of my online news feeds about it. You certainly don't expect earthquakes on the east coast usually; west coast for sure but not NYC/N.J.

 

Thanks! We have had earthquakes in the East coast but this was the worst I have experienced.  The one 10 years ago was nothing like today at all.  I hope there aren't any aftershocks!!

Glad you are OK, @QuittingGirl

 

Geologists call east coast continental crust an “old and cold” type of rock… it doesn’t move often, but when it does it snaps sharply. I grew up with lots of large earthquakes in Alaska, where most of the state is an active fault zone, so things rock and roll fairly often. I have vivid memories of one 4.5 quake when my mom was shouting to me and my sister to hold up the living room bookshelves so they didn’t tip over. LOL WTF?! The things we survived as kids… 

4 hours ago, QuittingGirl said:

Really?  He predicted it?  Wow, who is this person?

the guys channel is Dutchsinse.  I wouldn't say he predicted anything.  more like he forecasted the probability of an earthquake somewhere between D.C. and the new york border with canada.  He shows the entire method he uses to forecast quakes in his videos and he probably is better at quakes than the meteorologists are at the weather.  The last earthquake I remember was the 5.8 in Mineral, VA in 2011. That one caused some damage to the washington monument if recall correctly.

  • Author
1 hour ago, DenaliBlues said:

Glad you are OK, @QuittingGirl

 

Geologists call east coast continental crust an “old and cold” type of rock… it doesn’t move often, but when it does it snaps sharply. I grew up with lots of large earthquakes in Alaska, where most of the state is an active fault zone, so things rock and roll fairly often. I have vivid memories of one 4.5 quake when my mom was shouting to me and my sister to hold up the living room bookshelves so they didn’t tip over. LOL WTF?! The things we survived as kids… 

Thanks! I was reading the news and they said that there were 10 aftershocks so far.  The last one was about 3 hours ago and was a 4.0 but I didn't feel any of them.  My son, who lives about 25 mins away from me in  felt it and said that it wasn't as bad as this morning.  

2 minutes ago, intoxicated yoda said:

the guys channel is Dutchsinse.  I wouldn't say he predicted anything.  more like he forecasted the probability of an earthquake somewhere between D.C. and the new york border with canada.  He shows the entire method he uses to forecast quakes in his videos and he probably is better at quakes than the meteorologists are at the weather.  The last earthquake I remember was the 5.8 in Mineral, VA in 2011. That one caused some damage to the washington monument if recall correctly.

 

Well, he certainly was right about this one.  I remember that one in VA, we got a little shaking up here in NYC but nothing like the one we had this morning.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.