Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Insomnia still at 5 weeks!!

Featured Replies

I've been having trouble falling asleep since I quit.  It's awful. Is insomnia common even after a month??  I had trouble sleeping my last quit, but not this long and I thought it was because I was eating so much chocolate then! I  am literally in tears at 4am and have to get up for work at 6. I guess i can explore options for sleep aids?  Looking for any advice or other's experiences. Slept like a baby when i smoked three cigs before bed! 😫

Edited by robin0212

Hi, Robin. Sleep disruptions suck! And they seem to be common when quitting - a lot of people have talked about them since I joined this forum. Just out of curiosity, are you using any NRT?

 

As someone who has grappled with insomnia over many years, I wish there was a perfect solution that made me sleep like a baby. Sadly not. But there definitely are some things that improve the situation and keep me from tipping too far into the red zone:

 

- Good sleep hygiene (regular bedtime routines, no screens right before bed, etc.)

 

- No caffeine after noon (I became SUPER sensitive to caffeine after quitting smoking, learned the hard way)

 

- Listening to somewhat boring audio books at night (to lull myself to sleep, to keep me from clawing my eyeballs out while awake, and to mask my tinnitus)

 

- 1/2 an over the counter sleep aid (discussed with a doctor). Not melatonin, which - weirdly - gives me the zoomies.

 

Sleep deprivation is a real health issue - physical and mental. So if your struggles persist, talk to a doctor. But don’t lose faith that it will get better. My insomnia definitely got worse for 5 or 6 weeks after I quit, but then sleep normalized again. 
 

Hang in there!

  • Author

Hi @DenaliBlues thank you for this! 

I hadn't thought of audio books so will give that a try. No NRT. If it persists I will see a doctor. Could be hormonal also (tmi?) 

And definitely  need to remember no caffeine after like 10am! Good to know I'm not alone here 😊. Sorry to here you deal with this also but sound like you've got a great tool bag!

Edited by robin0212

Well, the body goes through a lot of changes as it deprograms itself from smoking. Nicotine may have left your system in three days, but the adventures continue for quite a while afterwards. Took me about a month and a half to poop normally, LOL. And don’t EVEN get me started on quitting and hot flashes… Mercy!  It’s all a bit of a shakedown time, but things even out eventually. Take care in the meantime! 

*knock on all the wood* but I have had luck w sleeping since the beginning of my quit, but one thing that changed from not great sleep w smoking to good sleep without smoking was just making a conscious decision to close my mouth and nose breathe. If it doesn’t stay like that oh well, but just making a conscious decision to nose breathe. That and reading (although it’s on my iPad which is supposedly not great w screen time lol-like Denali mentioned).  Good luck Robin wishing you an AC-filled relaxing New Jersey night of sleep 💤 

  • Author
11 hours ago, Brioski said:

*knock on all the wood* but I have had luck w sleeping since the beginning of my quit, but one thing that changed from not great sleep w smoking to good sleep without smoking was just making a conscious decision to close my mouth and nose breathe. If it doesn’t stay like that oh well, but just making a conscious decision to nose breathe. That and reading (although it’s on my iPad which is supposedly not great w screen time lol-like Denali mentioned).  Good luck Robin wishing you an AC-filled relaxing New Jersey night of sleep 💤 

I will definitely try the nose breathing!! Never thought of that! Thanks! 

  • Author
2 minutes ago, overcome said:

I thought about that..I was concerned it might make me groggy the next day. But I'm thinking since I'm  delirious anyway from no sleep why not try it! Thanks Overcome! 😊 

I wake up refreshed when I use them, all the best.

Seems like it helps get you to sleep, but its up to your body to keep yourself asleep all night with these. 

Edited by overcome

  • Author
12 minutes ago, overcome said:

I wake up refreshed when I use them, all the best.

Seems like it helps get you to sleep, but its up to your body to keep yourself asleep all night with these. 

Ordering now. Desperado.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.