Is Nicotine Happiness?

Angeleek

I've been reading scary statistics about teen vaping lately, such as approximately 25%  of middleschoolers in the US are vaping. Wow.

If the anti-smoking campaign has reduced US adult smoking down to approx. 14%, from 40ish % in the 1950s, but teen vaping is now skyrocketing, what does this tell us about nicotine, and the anti-smoking campaign the first world has been engaged in all these decades?

Does it mean we're spreading the wrong message by saying Smoking kills? Should it be Nicotine kills? Nicotine is the enemy? You can be happy without nicotine? No nicotine needed? Nicotine steals your happiness?

Is nicotine happiness?

Are our youth so depreased they need a super rush of nicotine...or is it just fun?

For me, as a kid, it was fun. Until nicotine stole my happiness, and made me an addict.

• Like 3

This is true. It's not marked as the drug it is because it's legal and sold in low doses. When I was first quitting, the thing that really got me was learning about how nicotine had changed my brain; nicotine receptors, how it's an antagonist.  

1 hour ago, Angeleek said:

Until nicotine stole my happiness, and made me an addict.

This is exactly what it does. Looks like you're writing your first commercial 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Angeleek said:

Is nicotine happiness?

nicotine: a poisonous alkaloid C10H14Nthat is the chief active principle of tobacco and is used as an insecticide

happiness: (a) a state of well being and contentment (b) a pleasurable or satisfying experience 

It took some mental gymnastics for us to ever draw a connection between those two definitions.  Self-delusion is a major component of addiction.

• Like 4