Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Smoking and mental illness

Featured Replies

'It is well-known that smoking is much more common amongst people with mental illness – especially depression and schizophrenia. However, most studies that have looked at this association have not been able to disentangle whether this is a cause-and-effect relationship, and if so in which direction. Does mental illness increase the likelihood of smoking, or is smoking itself a risk factor for mental illness?'

 

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2019/november/smoking.html

This is very interesting material, I have some thoughts on this subject. But it sucks to type on a mobile. So I will get back on this later :)

VV. interesting, thank you M'Life.

 

"Looking at our current results alongside previous literature,

we conclude this strengthens evidence for an effect of smoking on increased risk of depression and schizophrenia.

 

Future work should attempt to elucidate the underlying mechanisms

with a hope to intervene, inform public health messages or further advance our knowledge on the aetiology of mental illness.

 

In particular, it will be important to consider other constituents of tobacco smoke to determine

whether it is exposure to nicotine or some other constituent that increases risk of schizophrenia and depression.

This is particularly important in the context of the recent growth in electronic cigarette use."

 

 

 

 

Edited by Sazerac

For me, it has always been a vicious cycle. I have bipolar depression, and I started smoking after the onset of my first major depressive episode. The nicotine actually seemed to relieve certain aspects of my depression, but it created horrific anxiety with the craving/withdrawal cycle. It also caused me a great deal of shame, which fueled my depression. So I would quit. The anxiety would lessen, but the depression would increase as my dopamine levels plummeted. I'd start smoking again, and the cycle would continue.

 

I've been doing a lot of personal research into nicotine addiction and mental health, and the more I understand it, the stronger I get in my quit.

 

Thank you for sharing.

Quote

the more I understand it, the stronger I get in my quit.

 

Knowledge is power.  You're doing great abbynormal.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.