Breathing

Wantsit

Overall I feel 100% better than I did 60 days ago. But I have noticed that my breathing seems more labored...maybe shorter than it did before i quit. I feel it working out , in bed or just setting . I do have an inhaler I use when necessary but it seems worse than before. I know what this is from , just wondering if any of you noticed this when you quit.

• Like 1

That happened to me too wantsit. My breathing got worse for two or three weeks and I was using my inhaler way more than normal. My pulmonologist said it was my lungs working at clearing out the gunk. 

It seems to be a pretty normal recovery symptom

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3

Thank you! I've noticed it for about the last 2 weeks and it just had me a bit concerned. I really haven't noticed any  junk since I've quit and I figured after all those years I would have. Just more coughing than usual and the above mentioned.

• Like 1

I was about a month in to my quit when my breathing got worse and like I said it did take a good  three weeks or so for it to start getting better. I didn't really cough anything up either but I did notice I cleared my throat more. My phlegmy cough stopped right after I quit though. Luckily coughing isn't the only way of clearing the lungs :)

Its also never a bad idea to get a checkup after quitting. If for nothing else but the self assurance that everything sounds good and the pats on the back for quitting :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 2

Hi wantsit, thats the healing process. Some have it worse/ longer. The cilia start to work again ..."As the cilia recover and the mucus is cleared from your lungs, you might cough more than usual — perhaps for several weeks. In addition to reduced cough, most other respiratory symptoms, such as phlegm (mucus) production and shortness of breath, continue to improve for up to a year after stopping cigarette smoking."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jillar said:

That happened to me too wantsit. My breathing got worse for two or three weeks and I was using my inhaler way more than normal. My pulmonologist said it was my lungs working at clearing out the gunk. 

It seems to be a pretty normal recovery symptom

Yes, I'm experiencing this for the past couple of days!  I remember a heavy-on-chest feeling during my first quit too and yes it's just the lungs repairing and clearing.

• Like 1

Yea, I did too wantsit AND I almost talked myself into going back to smoking because my breathing was better before I quit. Which wasn't saying much since that was why I quit to begin with

Edited by jillar
  • Like 1

Never too late, takes time to heal but heal it does... After i first quit i would walk a couple of blocks and breathe like a bulldog, my breathing kept improving. I can walk miles now and breathe fine. Later in your quit when its cold out or windy you can see how your breathing/lungs are. 9 months - 1 year, let the lungs heal.

• Like 1