Shoulder Work

Boo

This may not pertain to anyone here, but if you have shoulder issues it may be worth your time.  I've used and abused my shoulders throughout my life and like so many things, it all started to catch up with me in my forties.  Dislocations, rotator cuff issues, broken collar bones, a torn teres major...I've injured my shoulders in just about every way known to man.

I've been doing this program daily for over two-months now, sometimes multiple times throughout the day, and my shoulders feel better than they have in years.

I start and finish the program with a dead hang.  The dead hang is dead simple.  Grab a pull-up bar or any sturdy surface overhead and hang there.  I typically hang for between ninety seconds and three minutes.

Then a bit of kettlebell work.  The Bottoms-Up Press.  I don't go very heavy with these, about 60% of what I do a standard overhead press with for 8-10 reps.

Then some Halos.  Typically go pretty light with these and go for time rather than reps.

And finish up with Windmills.

The entire routine can be done in under ten minutes and has delivered positive results for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

May look into this. I`ve had some shoulder problems lately  from 14 years lifting in electrical work. I`m about ready to retire (68) but a drummer I work with on Sundays has said these type of lifts have really helped him and he`s no spring chicken. Late 50`s I believe. So thanks for the post. Best wishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here's a couple of other moves that I incorporate into my mobility drills.

Shoulder Dislocates.  The only equipment needed is a bar, dowel rod, PVC pipe, etc..

And the Thread The Needle stretch.  Side note: the nice yoga lady looks better doing this than I do.

• Thanks 1

My right shoulder is shot... partly from years of catching and pitching (can only do slingshot now cos my should subluxates if I windmill) and partly from the damage to the nerve root at c5-c6. It would be worth a try. I have been doing resistance work in the hydro pool, or with the elastics, hadn't thought of weight work... although I'd be worried about it subluxating with some of these.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

hadn't thought of weight work... although I'd be worried about it subluxating with some of these.

I would certainly advise anyone with shoulder issues looking to add any of these movements to start slow and always err on the side of caution.  If in doubt, go lighter.

This routine is not about getting "ripped", "shredded", or "jacked."  And the mantra "no pain, no gain" does not apply here.  Leave all that nonsense to the "fitness personalities" on social media.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1