April 18, 201412 yr Something Maryland Quitter wrote the other day is still stuck in my head. It was something about how much he enjoyed drinking alcohol but never really enjoyed smoking. Somehow it has brought my quit to a whole new high. Why the hell would I want to spend money on, and suffer physically from something I don't even like? Just sayin'
April 18, 201412 yr I know, it doesn't make sense. I hated smoking. I wanted my fix but I hated it at the same time. It's an abusive relationship.
April 18, 201412 yr Contrary to popular belief 'round these forums, some of us actually did enjoy 'em - The Sarge being a prime example thereof. He does, however subscribe to the "They do nothing good for you" theory, but that doesn't mean he didn't enjoy them. He likes a Double Pepperoni Triple Meat Bacon Topper With Extra Cheese and Extra Grease in exactly the same way and it ain't no good for him neither. They are not mutually exclusive. You can actually like something that does nothing good for you. Easy Peasy
April 18, 201412 yr Contrary to popular belief 'round these forums, some of us actually did enjoy 'em - The Sarge being a prime example thereof. He does, however subscribe to the "They do nothing good for you" theory, but that doesn't mean he didn't enjoy them. He likes a Double Pepperoni Triple Meat Bacon Topper With Extra Cheese and Extra Grease in exactly the same way and it ain't no good for him neither. They are not mutually exclusive. You can actually like something that does nothing good for you. Easy Peasy What did you enjoy about smoking?
April 18, 201412 yr For one - the taste. The Sarge still quite enjoys the smell - especially those flavored (cherry pipe tobacco) versions. Dried tobacco leaves still smell just as good to The Sarge as he imagines fresh ground coffee beans appeal to you, O Great Connoisuer Of The Coffee. Easy Peasy
April 18, 201412 yr And now I want pizza. Exactly! But due to The Sarge's dietary restrictions, he has to burn a CheaterDay™ on pizza and only getza da pizza pie about one every other month. Used to be 3 or 4 a week. now it's about 4 a year. Easy Peasy
April 18, 201412 yr For one - the taste. The Sarge still quite enjoys the smell - especially those flavored (cherry pipe tobacco) versions. Dried tobacco leaves still smell just as good to The Sarge as he imagines fresh ground coffee beans appeal to you, O Great Connoisuer Of The Coffee. Easy Peasy lol O Great Connoisseur Of The Coffee Yes. I love the smell of freshly ground beans and the aroma as their oils are leached out. My coffee is perfect. I spent many years pursuing the perfectly brewed cup of coffee to satisfy my sophisticated palette I love it. Is that all you enjoyed about smoking?
April 18, 201412 yr I've know people like the Sarge as well. I have a friend that quit years ago but if a smoker walks by she takes a deep breath because she loves the smell. I hated the smell even when I smoked!!
April 18, 201412 yr Author Have to admit, I still like the smell of flavored pipe tobaccos, just don't like inhaling them while burning, it gives me no pleasure of any kind and I always felt a little short of breath after I was finished. And the foul taste it left in my mouth, pettuiy, yuk.
April 18, 201412 yr Is that all you enjoyed about smoking? No, but The Sarge has been through this discussion a dozen times in the past 3 years where folks see fit tell him exactly what he does and does not like (all of my what) and sees no point in having it again. He liked / enjoyed smoking. He gave you two reasons (taste, smell) and that is enough to back up the statement regarding Sarge's enjoyment of the cigarette. It is quite possible to both enjoy it, and know that it is bad for you. They are not a mutually exclusive state of affairs (see Da Pizza Pie above) Easy Peasy
April 19, 201412 yr Sarge, I was looking for a discussion to get your point of view because I respect it, or did respect it. That ship too has sailed.
April 19, 201412 yr I have to agree with the sarge. When I used to smoke there was a lot of stuff I liked about it including the taste. After saying that, I liked a lot of things that were bad for me! Now I have cut out about 90% of the bad stuff and replaced it with good stuff! The biggest and worst one was smoking, that was the first to go! Still working on smaller ones like donuts! ;)
April 19, 201412 yr I know I am suppose to say I didn't like smoking, but it would be a really big lie. I loved to smoke, I enjoyed it. Yes, I learned about the consequences of my habit over the years, but I still loved to smoke...for 35 years. Then they put another chemical in cigarettes, just so they would stop burning and I started coughing like crazy. Although I had to face the big "5" and started to think about my past and future. I started to question my habit ..and decided I would give it up "one day". I watched other people's struggles using the patch, gum all kind of stuff..the most failed and are still smoking. I put one out and walked away. No need to smoke for me...I had them all! I gave it up over 2 months ago....now I love being a non smoker! I agree with the Sarge on this one! I wouldn't do something for 35 years if I wouldn't enjoy it!
April 19, 201412 yr I sought escape. Dope did it, booze did it, and after I quit those all I had left was the cigarette. Now everything is 24/7 with no respite. Not that that's a bad thing - I'm just not used to it.
April 19, 201412 yr I sought escape. Dope did it, booze did it, and after I quit those all I had left was the cigarette. Now everything is 24/7 with no respite. Not that that's a bad thing - I'm just not used to it. From your profile pic I take it you practice Martial arts too? Do you find that to be an escape? I can get completely lost in Kata, and for me this has become a real source of escapism
April 19, 201412 yr That ship too has sailed. Every time The Sarge has entered this conversation, the discourse has turned to well meaning folks informing The Sarge that, No, he really didn't like smoking when Yes, in fact, he did. Every time. The Sarge is happy to watch the mast drop over the horizon on that one. He will gladly let it sail away [1] ... Easy Peasy FOOTNOTE: [1] and if your respect for him goes with it, then so be it.
April 19, 201412 yr Every time The Sarge has entered this conversation, the discourse has turned to well meaning folks informing The Sarge that, No, he really didn't like smoking when Yes, in fact, he did. Every time. The Sarge is happy to watch the mast drop over the horizon on that one. He will gladly let it sail away [1] ... Easy Peasy FOOTNOTE: [1] and if your respect for him goes with it, then so be it. I openly agreed with you....I wouldn't do anything for 35 years if I wouldn't enjoy it....I loved to smoke and one day I didn't....case closed (at least my case)
April 19, 201412 yr What is Kata? I believe some refer to it as forms. It means shspe in the ground. Its a series of about 25 moves made into an artistic demonstration of skills and grace. It can be amazing to watch. Look up kata world champion. Its a Japanese lady. She is amazing
April 19, 201412 yr Every time The Sarge has entered this conversation, the discourse has turned to well meaning folks informing The Sarge that, No, he really didn't like smoking when Yes, in fact, he did. Every time. The Sarge is happy to watch the mast drop over the horizon on that one. He will gladly let it sail away [1] ... Easy Peasy FOOTNOTE: [1] and if your respect for him goes with it, then so be it. Perhaps not everybody is always looking for the great debate. I asked because I wanted to know, and smell and taste obviously wasn't the only reason why you enjoyed smoking so I wanted to know more. Instead, you chose to respond to me with a condescending attitude because of some kind of bad experience that you've had with others about the subject. I certainly didn't and still don't see the big deal about the question. Pull up the anchor and starting making headway, Sarge. Everybody else who says they enjoyed smoking, I'm not going to debate the issue with you. I just would like to know what you enjoyed about it. This is a forum about quitting smoking and if you say you enjoyed smoking, why not explain why, when asked what you liked about it? I can tell you that I didn't enjoy it like I thought I had and have explained all over the place what I didn't like about it.
April 19, 201412 yr It's a trapdoor bait question MQ, and a subtle tag team one at that. Ask a question like that, get an honest answer and you may just file it away and sail on but the White Robeists draw out the long knives and gather for the Circle of Solidarity Feast. Monty Python Spanish Inquisition skit comes to mind. :-D
April 19, 201412 yr It's a trapdoor bait question MQ, and a subtle tag team one at that. Ask a question like that, get an honest answer and you may just file it away and sail on but the White Robeists draw out the long knives and gather for the Circle of Solidarity Feast. Monty Python Spanish Inquisition skit comes to mind. :-D Don't assume that is my intention. Big mistake to make with me. Tag team? What tag team? I'm in the minority opinion here. The white robe stuff is getting old. It's played out, man.
April 19, 201412 yr I'm weird...i liked the way menthol cigarettes tasted... I enjoyed smoking them with friends... but I dont ever want to smoke again
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.