Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I Got This (T)

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by I Got This (T)

  1. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    -4
  2. Teetotaler Meaning Some people don't drink whiskey or other hard liquors but enjoy wine or the occasional beer. Others stick to the hard stuff, and others only like beer. None of these people are teetotalers. A teetotaler is someone who refuses to imbibe any and all alcohol containing liquids. Where did this curious word come from and how did it come to be applied to those who totally abstained from drinking? Although "to teetotal" (t total, t-total) simply means "to never drink," it meant something more specific when it first came to be used. At the beginning of the temperance movement, most temperance societies didn't see anything wrong with wine, beer, or cider. In fact, they embraced them. It was distilled spirituous liquors which were seen as the real evil. The idea of temperance, then, was to abstain from hard liquors. This was seen as a moderate response to the problems of alcohol. "T" After Your Name Turner spoke of "signing the pledge." Stories are also told that Temperance Societies would have people sign moderation pledges or total pledges. Those taking the total pledge would place a "T" after their name, so that they became known as T-totalers, and later, teetotalers. The Story of Richard "Dicky" Turner One of the most well-known origin stories is lent authority by an epitaph. Written on a tombstone near Preston, in Lancashire, England, is "Beneath this stone are deposited the remains of Richard Turner, author of the word 'teetotal' as applied to abstinence from all intoxicating liquors, who departed this life on the 27th day of October 1846, aged 56 years." That is one heck of a strange and long epitaph and the fact that someone would go through the trouble of engraving it on a tombstone may seem to be very good evidence that Turner really did invent the word, but keep in mind that just because the person responsible for the epitaph really believed it, doesn't mean that he or she had unassailable evidence for it. Why Was the Word Teetotal So Important To Temperance? It may help to understand why the word teetotal was so important to the temperance movement, then. Temperance did not start out as a movement toward total abstinence. Instead, it was about "entire abstinence from ardent spirits." In other words, temperance began as a movement calling for abstinence from hard liquors like whiskey, rum, gin, etc. Wine, beer, and cider were often accepted and even recommended as a good substitute for hard spirits. There are even stories about wine being served at early temperance meetings! It seems that there was doubt, in some people's mind, that wine, beer, and cider contained alcohol as did spirits. Opinions changed, and one reason for this was that it became known that non-spirituous liquors did indeed contain alcohol, only at a lesser volume. You could get drunk on any of it, and so you have to abstain from all of it. It is usually claimed that the move toward total abstinence began in England and then move to America. The pledge for temperance, before this time, was for abstaining from spirits. This became known as the "old pledge" or the "moderation pledge." Abstaining from any and all alcoholic beverages became known as the "total pledge." It is not really known exactly when, why, and where this movement first began, but most early histories do indeed seem to place the first "teetotal society" in Preston, in 1832. The Preston society did begin using a total abstinence pledge in 1832 and it did become known as the teetotal pledge. This is just some of the fascinating reads about it I found on this website. http://www.culinarylore.com/drinks:origin-of-the-word-teetotaler
  3. I read somewhere people who choose to go teetotal, some sign a T after their name/signature....or use to....something along those lines...does anyone know if this is true??? I kind of like the idea, I don't know why. Since quitting smoking I also quit drinking as you all know. I also live in a state where marijuana is legal and would partake time to time, but have found I also no longer enjoy this either. I know its a British term... But even so I like the term... Would it be silly me being an American to use it and to tell people I am teetotal????
  4. How do I embed???? I was able to do it before the update :( nevermind....
  5. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    -3
  6. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    11
  7. Ugh more day of my face is chopped off, too LoL
  8. Its gonna take some getting use to
  9. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    -2
  10. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    -3
  11. Worked all night and didn't have a chance to eat at work.....nor was I very hungry.... Now I'm hungry at 1 am.....so I'm eating a tuna fish sandwich, original Pringles, and chocolate donut holes with sprinkles, all washed down with cherry coke. I know, soooooooo bad for me, but OMG, sooooooo freaking good!!!
  12. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    -2 .... Come on Doreen, I know its around the time you get on here.... Its 1 am here.. Let's show these men where they can put their sticks!!
  13. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    5
  14. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    3
  15. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    2
  16. Nope!! <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/jodmOdls2wi5y" width="480" height="354" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/weird-nope-jodmOdls2wi5y">via GIPHY</a></p>
  17. Thanks everyone for your kind replies. I do love my job, the people I work with (well most of them), my regulars. My boss is amazing, the best boss I ever had honestly. It's just very stressful at times..... A lot of the time. Before when I got stressed I'd duck outside and smoke... Now I still will go outside and do some deep breathing, just not as often. I guess that's why I correlate it with quitting smoking. I do think the long hours have a lot to do with it but I am my families sole income, so I take what I can get. I am also trained not only as a server/bar tender, but can also cook as well as manage and close the place down (I requested to be trained in all areas when I was hired so I could help wherever I am needed). Its just the other types of people I mentioned we get and certain situations that get me stressed out. But thanks for letting me vent :) today's a new smoke free work day and I am feeling positive!
  18. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    -4
  19. Mine was The Blob... <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/zvbXhg4SuTOs8" width="480" height="316" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/trailer-the-blob-zvbXhg4SuTOs8">via GIPHY</a></p>
  20. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    -4.... Only innies aloud.... No outties!!!!
  21. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    -2
  22. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    0
  23. I Got This (T) replied to bakon's topic in Games
    2..... Let's do this Doreen ..... Early morning sneak attack on the sticks!!!!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.