Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I need some input

Featured Replies

I need some input. I wrote it down in my blog and I'd appreciate it if people would reply below.

 

When addiction rules in + OCD PART 1

 

There will be a part 2 when I cleared out how to handle cravings without the usual OCD behaviour. 

 

Really looking forward to some wise words. 

Evelyn I am so proud of how hard you are fighting!

 

We all had different tricks we used, deep breathing exercises, some liked using a straw to pretend to smoke. I ate a lot! I also found doing projects like painting my fingernails helped because it took a long time to finish and the crave would be gone before before I could finish.

 

I wish I had the answers for you, but I am confident you WILL figure out what will work for you.

Evelyn, can I ask you something. I may be confused but I am understanding that you are changing your patch several times a day. Is that correct ?

 

The thing with patches is that you are getting a steady dose over a 24 hour period. Changing the patch does not increase it. Please don't put more than one patch on a day. It's to be changed every day around the same time.

 

If you are having cravings.......there is only one thing to do. Wait it out. I am like you as I have a hard time dealing with strong craves and I freak out also. And then smoke. With the patch, your crave can be managed mentally because your nicotine levels are staying constant.

 

Do whatever you can to just push through it. I am on the patch now too. I can't do cold turkey and I will stay on the patch for the whole time that it is ordered. And when I have a crave, I'm on the phone calling someone, getting on here and reading or beating the hell out of some poor stranger. All 3 take my mind off of it until it passes.

 

You can do this. Remember all the negative things about smoking. When you see someone smoking, think about what they are REALLY doing to their body.

 

Drink cold water through a straw helps too. With the hand/ mouth association that we do with smoking. But it's much healthier

I am glad that you are anticipating the potential pitfalls that may happen when you stop the patch.

 

My main problem with smoking was boredom - I could chain smoke because I was bored. So I had to occupy my mind with something else. Coming here to talk to people about my addiction. That is what helped me the most.

 

Sorry I cannot help with the OCD angle, but I am here for you regardless.

 

(((Evelyn)))

The thing that seemed to work best for me was reading the newbie package, over and over.

As well as googling (now known as Bakon-ing)  any and all positive side effects of quitting smoking.

 

I had to tell myself all the time, "I am not different than these folks here. If they can quit, I can quit. The particulars of my circumstances may be different......but I cant use that as a reason (excuse) to pick up a cigarette. Ever. If they can quit, I can quit. I choose to believe them when they tell me I can do this"

 

:)

I wish so much I could help you. I don't know anything about the patch or OCD...so everything that comes to my mind is just a wild guess.

 

But I do know that I want you to be nicotine free ex smoker!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.