August 16, 20197 yr What?!?!?! Say again? Well according to a few studies and some peripheral observations there ARE a few benefits to regularly using tobacco products. Lower's risk of total knee replacement in men. Lower's risk of Parkinson's disease. Lower's risk of obesity. Lower's risk of unwanted pregnancy..b'cuz you ain't getting any Ashtray-breath. The Joys of momentary gratification as you feed your habit. There are suggestions that smoking alleviates ulcerative colitis. No need to plan for your 80th birthday. There is some blurriness to this list. For instance, you may not need total knee replacement because you weigh less because of smoking BUT if you DO need total knee replacement as a smoker your chance's of complications are much, much higher. In just about every other way smoking increases your risk of acquiring or worsening every other disease or medical complication, for instance (and just to name a few): Alzheimer's Dementia Glaucoma Macular degeneration Coronary Heart Disease Aneurysm Peripheral vascular disease Stroke Heartburn Peptic ulcers Vericose Veins Crohn's disease Gallstones Osteoporosis Asthma Lower respiratory tract infections Stained teeth Premature tooth-loss Various gum diseases Premature aging of the skin (your largest organ) Persistent coughing Smelly hair Yellowed fingers Bronchitis High cholesterol Weaker immune system Infertility (see benefits #4) Major diabetes complications Blood clots Early menopause COPD High blood pressure Decrease in sense of smell Pregnancy complications New born complications An increase of varying degrees of just about every kind of cancer Renal failure Increased chance of falling asleep and dying in FIRE. Yes, this has happened. Increased chance of complications and lengthened recovery periods of many medical procedures and surgeries ...and most significant of all...erectile dysfunction (see benefits #4; again). And these are just the medical disadvantages to smoking. We won't bother considering the disadvantages related to personal expenses, taxes, social stigmata, or the medical disadvantages of second hand smoke that impacts those YOU ARE CLOSEST TO YOU, or the resale value of that ashtray-on-wheels you call your car or the stench rising from your cloths. Edited August 16, 20197 yr by Sirius tweaking
August 16, 20197 yr Incredible list, @Sirius for so many years, the light was on lung cancer. Now the light shines on everything. I know it took a lot longer for simple cuts and scrapes to heal when I smoked not to mention the annual 'bronchitis, which I no longer have and lots of other things on the list. Hopefully, I quit in time but, even if it catches up with me, I know that I will never, ever smoke again. My quality of life is measurably better than the smokey days.
August 16, 20197 yr I just don't like the idea of smoking any longer. It seemed such and inseparable part of me for decades but now ...... I can't imagine myself with a cigarette in my mouth. That's a good thing but it's not something I expected to feel when I first quit. Edited August 17, 20197 yr by reciprocity
August 16, 20197 yr 1 hour ago, Sazerac said: Hopefully, I quit in time but, even if it catches up with me, I know that I will never, ever smoke again. Here is something from our friend, Joel about this. "Some people find out that there smoking was treating, or actually more often, masking other pre-existing conditions. Sometimes they feel that this usage justifies smoking in their cases. This video addresses the issue of whether or not it is a good idea to use cigarettes to treat pre-existing conditions." JS.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.