But when will I feel better??

A new year means a number of friends and family attempt the quit. I am delighted for them, acknowledgement that you want to break free is a really powerful moment and I wholly support that!

My mother has gone on the champix today, after quitting/relapsing for 3 years and actually, the story finally sounds familiar to mine where she is sick of being sick and trying to quit, a real "last chance saloon quit". Two others have gone for patches which didn't work for me but have worked for others.  I keep everything crossed for them all but I know that they get to choose! This is the bit they don't wholly understand yet and it's tricky to explain to someone who is committed to believing they are "more addicted" or "smoked too long for it too matter" or "is too stressed". All nonsense that we tell ourselves so we can make the choice to continue to smoke. Because believe it or not, if you make the choice NOT to smoke, no matter what, then that is exactly what happens. You get to reinforce that choice a few times but it's thoughts, not physical, smoking is literally damaging you physically - quitting is the opposite! 

But it's the questions of when will I feel better and how long do you crave for or my personal favourite of so and so quit 5 years ago and still says she could smoke in a heartbeat...... (I would suggest "so and so" is abstaining, not quitting, very different!)

Everyone is different is not the answer they look for. Although you may have triggers after 72 hours it is just a thought and you can fight that with an informed and healthier thought. Are you ready for massive excitement at your impending feeling of freedom - meets with derisive snorts. Understand you are a nicotine addict because knowledge is power, I see their eyes glaze over! The other one that just confuses them despite the truth of it - you will feel better straight away because you take your power back!

When will you feel better....

You are a non smoker from the moment you choose not to smoke another. THAT will make you feel better!  The rest is a journey of self discovery that will set you up for a myriad of life situations where you will feel more empowered because hey - you kicked smokings a*s!  In the meantime, find support! 

For all those newly quit and thinking of quitting...it really is the best thing I ever did, straight up, hands down. Healthwise and financially of course. More than that though is the self belief and inner strength that having the "strength of character" to face the quit head on gives you. 

I wish everyone better health and happiness on their journey :)

• Like 10

Great thread!  In the beginning I clung to the quit smoking recovery timetable and didn't want to undo the milestones that I had made.  For example, after 12 hours of not smoking, the carbon monoxide levels dropped to normal and the oxygen levels returned to normal. :) To me, that was a big deal and enough of an incentive for me that I didn't want to undo it.
http://whyquit.com/w...Time_Table.html

• Like 2

Great thread!  In the beginning I clung to the quit smoking recovery timetable and didn't want to undo the milestones that I had made.  For example, after 12 hours of not smoking, the carbon monoxide levels dropped to normal and the oxygen levels returned to normal. :) To me, that was a big deal and enough of an incentive for me that I didn't want to undo it.

http://whyquit.com/w...Time_Table.html

I´m doing exactly that!

-Nat

• Like 1