Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Have new motor home, need advice on wireless Internet

Featured Replies

My plan is to get the motor home running of course, it needs engine work, but I'm more concerned about how I'm going to access the Internet when I start traveling in it.

 

I plan to tour the USA and visit family and friends.

 

I've been a hard wired DSL user for the most part, can anyone help me with suggestions on wireless access on the road?

 

I don't really want to use a laptop, have 4 tower computers, can I do wireless with those?

  • Author

I've never had a smart phone, how does that work?

 

Can I link a smart phone to a conventional computer?

 

Sorry, I'm old school, not familiar with any of the new fangled electronics LOL

  • Author

Do you have to pay for the minutes while you are on the Internet with a smart phone?

When traveling, free wifi spots are becoming more and more popular.

You could get a rocket stick (plugs into your laptop and acts as a modem)

You'd have to find the best package for you with your provider.

When I'm at the cottage, I just access through a 3G or 4G network via a smartphone or ipad.

The ipad is very user friendly.

Do you have to pay for the minutes while you are on the Internet with a smart phone?

Depends on your package. Most providers offer unlimited access (for a higher monthly fee) or you could choose a package with a limited amount of bites and try not to go over that.

Call your top 3 service providers and ask them :)

Wifi everywhere.  Pull into a McDonald's parking lot? Free wireless.  Campgrounds? Wireless (free or not, depending).  Hotel/motel parking lot? Free wireless with a room.

 

Wireless access point to any device you'd like to connect inside your RV. 

 

 

 

Easy Peasy

  • Author

That sounds cool, a Rocket Stick! will have to look into that.

 

So Julie, do you have to pay for the minutes while on the Internet with a smart phone or rocket stick?

  • Author

Thanx Sarge, had no idea there was sooooo much free wireless available.

 

McDonalds?

I don't have a rocket stick and since we have 4 people in the home using the internet plus watching Netflix we have an unlimited plan.

I can eat up all the bites I desire. :)

I pay $20.00 a month for a wireless hotspot on my smart phone...just turn it on if there is not wireless available...and be sure if you want to download music or a movie, that you are on free wireless, not your hotspot.  This is what I use on the houseboat...

  • Author

Wow, you guys are awesome, thanx so much for your help.

Thanx Sarge, had no idea there was sooooo much free wireless available.

 

McDonalds?

 

When The Sarge is out in the backwoods, or mountains and canyons - if he wants to get connected just drive to the nearest town and look for the Golden Arches. Haven't found one yet that didn't have it. It's probably mandated by Corporate McOpCo that they provide it.

 

They are everywhere.

 

Everywhere.

 

 

Easy Peasy

  • Author

When The Sarge is out in the backwoods, or mountains and canyons - if he wants to get connected just drive to the nearest town and look for the Golden Arches. Haven't found one yet that didn't have it. It's probably mandated by Corporate McOpCo that they provide it.

 

They are everywhere.

 

Everywhere.

 

 

Easy Peasy

 

That is really cool Sarge, there are McDonalds everywhere.

 

Freedom at last!!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.