Approching 2 yrs

Jryan19982

I really cant believe it.  Seems like just yesterday I was struggling and justifying my relapses.  And now?  Hardly do I ever think about.  Do I get craves?  Yes there have been a few times here and there when I thought a smoke would be perfect.  Then I remember:

1.  That horrible feeling in my throat.

2.  Mucous mounting in my throat.

3.  That smell... ewwwww that smell.

4.  Did I mention that smell?  Gross.

5.  My kids, the ones I quit for... they havent seen their dad smoke in almost 2 years.  I wonder if it isnt even a thought to them.

6.  The ashes and burn marks in my car.

7.  That nagging feeling that I should quit.

I mean I could go on and on.  The most awakening times are when I smell a smoker in the checkout line... and I think to myself if I smelled THAT bad.  I mean I couldnt right?  There's no way I smelled that bad.  But I am sure I did.

I am up to almost an hour on cardio exercises.  I could barely do 5 mins of light cardio.  Now I do intense cardio.  I dont get sick anymore...like ever!  No colds.  No bugs.  Do I have bad days?  You bet your a$$ I do but you know what?  I get by.

I have also taken a giant step in sobriety too.  Yes I gave up alcohol.  It is so much easier not to smoke when I dont drink.  I thought i would just give it up after I got over the smoking hump but it stuck.

I am ever so greatful to people like you who guided me.  I posted a lot on another board which may be gone now as I couldnt find it but what I can say for all those newbies or lurkers is this... IT IS SO WORTH IT.  YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO GIVE IT A FULL EFFORT TRY.  I tiptoed around giving it a full try.  I danced with my justifications for not quitting.  I fed my addiction.   There have been almost 11 million smoking related deaths since I quit.  Let THAT sink in.  Not even two years into my quit and 11 million of people just like me have died.  Those who couldnt kick the habbit.  Those who were tied down by this addiction.  Those who could not escape deaths grip.  Dont let that be you.  Live your life smoke free and every day you will see its benefits.  

You owe it to yourself to just try.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hey Jillar!!  Nice to see a familiar name.  It just dawned on me today how long its been so I decided to pop in and see whats up.  I've been bad about not checking in.  A lot has gone on recently...we moved across country.   I got a new job.  Bought a house.  Met some new friends.  Its been quite a whirlwind of emotions and experiences the past year.  And through it all smojing rarely came up and when it did it wasnt because I was stressed, it was because I wanted ro celebrate.  How dumb is that!?!?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jryan19982 said:

Hey Jillar!!  Nice to see a familiar name.  It just dawned on me today how long its been so I decided to pop in and see whats up.  I've been bad about not checking in.  A lot has gone on recently...we moved across country.   I got a new job.  Bought a house.  Met some new friends.  Its been quite a whirlwind of emotions and experiences the past year.  And through it all smojing rarely came up and when it did it wasnt because I was stressed, it was because I wanted ro celebrate.  How dumb is that!?!?!

I remember you saying you were moving across the country. It sounds like you're doing great. And oddly enough I too have (still) smoking thoughts when I'm celebrating something. 

You'll see a lot  of familiar faces here as this place was kind enough to welcome us all when our board went down. It's really good to hear from you :)

Hey there Jryan! Great to see you here and thanks for your wonderful, thoughtful post. i'm so glad to hear your quit is solid, your exercising and taking on new challenges like a new job, new friends, a big move and sobriety. Good for you.

Hi Jryan. It’s really true that there’s so much to be grateful for once you know that you’re done with smoking. I too used exercise as the main “distraction” to fill void that smoking once occupied. What a wonderful difference that’s made.

Glad to see you’ve found your way here. Your encouragement for others will be most welcome.

Congratulations on your soon to be 2 year anniversary. I found that there was a huge and sudden drop off of any misguided cravings at that point. Hope it’s the same for you.

Thanks for sharing & congratulations on nearly 2 years.  What a great role model for your kids - spending time working out rather than smoking.  You should be very proud.  It is always good to hear from others whose paths we are following.

Yeah im almost at the 2 year mark too. April 1st. Its crazy how hard the first year is and then boom the second year just fly by. Everthing is better as a non smoker. Newbies, get at it lads, its worth it.

• Like 1